PS5 overtakes Nintendo Switch to become 2022’s best-selling console in the UK

21 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Games that can be played on other systems out of the box aren't exclusive. 

You can twist and turn that how ever you like. 

No games will be made exclusively for deck as valve already stated.  You can take that argument up with them if you like :umad:

lmao :roll:

With the "hybrid" market, as you're calling it... Deck has access and gets far more games.  If you want to play any number of games portably... the only way to do that is with the Steam Deck (handheld PC)... there's no other way to play them in that fashion.

Steam Deck doesn't need games built for it specifically... which is also one of it's strengths.. and why it gets far more games.

Edited by Remij
  • aitch 1
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"It was another strong month for PS5 in the UK, with stock levels up 56% in August compared with July (GfK data)"    "Sony’s machine is currently the UK’s best-selling console of the year (s

Xbox is so worthless

lmao   With the "hybrid" market, as you're calling it... Deck has access and gets far more games.  If you want to play any number of games portably... the only way to do that is with the St

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Remij said:

lmao :roll:

With the "hybrid" market, as you're calling it... Deck has access and gets far more games.  If you want to play any number of games portably... the only way to do that is with the Steam Deck (handheld PC)... there's no other way to play them in that fashion.

Steam Deck doesn't need games built for it specifically... which is also one of it's strengths.. and why it gets far more games.

And what about if you want to play it docked, are those games available on another system? :umad:

For that use case, a deck isn't needed.  Whereas with Switch with the exclusives you need to purchase the hardware to regardless if you want to use it as a console or a handheld. 

For the people who don't play portables they will just simply game on PC because it has all the games that runs on deck. The use case of users that won't use portable mode to begin with have no use for deck. 

From the last user stats Nintendo released basically 50% of the users use it primarily docked.   That's over 55 million people that don't use Switch portable mode but own a switch.  That's the beauty of being a hybrid. 

Edited by Goukosan
52 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

And what about if you want to play it docked, are those games available on another system? :umad:

For that use case, a deck isn't needed.  Whereas with Switch with the exclusives you need to purchase the hardware to regardless if you want to use it as a console or a handheld. 

For the people who don't play portables they will just simply game on PC because it has all the games that runs on deck. The use case of users that won't use portable mode to begin with have no use for deck. 

From the last user stats Nintendo released basically 50% of the users use it primarily docked.   That's over 55 million people that don't use Switch portable mode but own a switch.  That's the beauty of being a hybrid. 

What you're saying doesn't affect the Deck's ability to become a mass market device and compete in the console space at all.. :| 

Your post reads like someone damage controlling that Switch will still have a reason to exist, despite a future Deck competing directly with it... when nobody said otherwise..  Yes, we know people will continue to buy Nintendo products to play Nintendo games.... That's the biggest advantage the Nintendo consoles have.

Deck doesn't need that.  The Deck needs UI and OS refinements, and the right combination of hardware, price and performance.  If it has that, Valve could start mass producing them and get them on shelves right beside Switch consoles..  They're not competing at that level yet, but you would assume that's the plan for the future, once those other aspects are in place.

1 hour ago, Remij said:

What you're saying doesn't affect the Deck's ability to become a mass market device and compete in the console space at all.. :| 

Your post reads like someone damage controlling that Switch will still have a reason to exist, despite a future Deck competing directly with it... when nobody said otherwise..  Yes, we know people will continue to buy Nintendo products to play Nintendo games.... That's the biggest advantage the Nintendo consoles have.

Deck doesn't need that.  The Deck needs UI and OS refinements, and the right combination of hardware, price and performance.  If it has that, Valve could start mass producing them and get them on shelves right beside Switch consoles..  They're not competing at that level yet, but you would assume that's the plan for the future, once those other aspects are in place.

Damage controlling? Lol

Why would I damage control the Switch need to exist? Switch is already an established brand that's about to be the best selling system ever. Deck is the one still in beta. Im responding to you saying they'll be competing for the same market of gamers. 

I was simply showing you the differentiation between the two as far as use cases for potential customers. Deck isn't serving a vast majority of the users that Switch will serve based on the Switch being more than just a handheld. 

With that said... I never said the deck won't be mass market in the future.  Just saying its going after handheld gamers only compared to what the Switch is doing. 

Edited by Goukosan
36 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Damage controlling? Lol

Why would I damage control the Switch need to exist? Switch is already an established brand that's about to be the best selling system ever. Deck is the one still in beta. Im responding to you saying they'll be competing for the same market of gamers. 

I was simply showing you the differentiation between the two as far as use cases for potential customers. Deck isn't serving a vast majority of the users that Switch will serve based on the Switch being more than just a handheld. 

With that said... I never said the deck won't be mass market in the future.  Just saying its going after handheld gamers only compared to what the Switch is doing. 

It seems that way.  When I bring up the fact that Valve could position Switch to compete directly with Switch, you're acting like there's differences which will ever prevent it from doing so.  

I don't get why you're saying this: "Deck isn't serving a vast majority of the users that Switch will serve based on the Switch being more than just a handheld."

That just makes no fucking sense whatsoever.  Deck serves anyone who wants a console like experience connected to a TV.. that's one of the goals... to provide a console like experience and ease of use, with the customization and openness of a PC platform.

The Switch essentially serves one gamer... the gamer who wants Nintendo exclusives.

• Geese 1

Holy shit what a Remierry-go-round.

And let's make this perfectly clear............the people who entered this thread that is about SONY PLAYSTATION 5...............and then tried to talk about bash the Switch, are the ones who derailed it and proceeded to start the Remierry-go-round.

That's not remotely up for debate.

Basically, they have nothing to say against the Playstation, so they attempted to set their sights on the Switch.

I also love how Fakeboy, a few days ago was trying to BACKTRACK and say he never said that the Steam Deck was "blowing up"..........and now in this thread he specifically says, and I quote.

"The Switch has competition now."

Just got caught, again.

• NPC 1
17 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Holy shit what a Remierry-go-round.

And let's make this perfectly clear............the people who entered this thread that is about SONY PLAYSTATION 5...............and then tried to talk about bash the Switch, are the ones who derailed it and proceeded to start the Remierry-go-round.

That's not remotely up for debate.

Basically, they have nothing to say against the Playstation, so they attempted to set their sights on the Switch.

I also love how Fakeboy, a few days ago was trying to BACKTRACK and say he never said that the Steam Deck was "blowing up"..........and now in this thread he specifically says, and I quote.

"The Switch has competition now."

Just got caught, again.

Gouko and I are having an actual discussion.  LOL this clown trying to act like any time someone has a discussion it's a "go-around"... because he can't hold one of his own.  That's how you know I have him permanently butthurt.  He doesn't even know why a "jerry-go-round" actually called that :lawl: 

Notice how nobody started crying in this thread about the discussion.... until you came in here to do just that.  You're literally trying to derail this thread, right now and make it about you :tom: 

And no sweetie... this thread isn't about only the Playstation 5... it's about all consoles...  And we're talking about the market and the devices on the market.

LOL what more do you want us to say?  That Playstation is smacking down Nintendo now in the UK? Cause that's what this thread is ACTUALLY about... Sure OK :kaz: 

bubu you pwobabwy onwy wanna tawk about Xbawkz, right? :feelsbadman:

And I'm literally saying Deck isn't directly competing with Switch... if it was it would be on store shelves.  It's competing in the sense that there's another option out there for people who want portable gaming.. Switch isn't alone anymore.. Idiot :ovolol:

Edited by Remij

The novelty of a "hybrid" console is over. A computer is expected to have video output. Nintendo is gearing up to shear the sheep again with no-effort ports of WiiU Zelda games. With a handheld PC, your Steam library goes with you for decades.

10 hours ago, Remij said:

It seems that way.  When I bring up the fact that Valve could position Switch to compete directly with Switch, you're acting like there's differences which will ever prevent it from doing so.  

I don't get why you're saying this: "Deck isn't serving a vast majority of the users that Switch will serve based on the Switch being more than just a handheld."

That just makes no fucking sense whatsoever.  Deck serves anyone who wants a console like experience connected to a TV.. that's one of the goals... to provide a console like experience and ease of use, with the customization and openness of a PC platform.

The Switch essentially serves one gamer... the gamer who wants Nintendo exclusives.

So over 120 million people wants Nintendo exclusives and that's the only reason they bought a Switch? Damn...Nintendo is in an even better position than I thought... Lol

As far as deck and their goals for hybrid functionality.  You're projecting your goals onto valve.  From everything I've heard from Valve, their goals are to provide a handheld PC experience.   Do you have something that says otherwise from them? 

In a round about way you proved the point I was making earlier with the differentiating factors between the two. 

You just said that deck will appeal to console gamers who want a console like experience on a TV.... If they want a console like experience they'll just get a PS5 or a Xbox because there won't be any games made specifically and exclusively for the deck like it is for the Switch..... You know the same users who's only reason you just said 120 million people bought a Switch... To play exclusive games.... If the deck doesn't have exclusives what would be the reason to get it to solely play on a TV when you can just get a console to do that?

So om one had you're saying the Switch is successful because of it's exclusives but on the other you're saying the deck will be a serious threat without any exclusives?..... Um ok:umad:

Edited by Goukosan
1 hour ago, sugarhigh said:

The novelty of a "hybrid" console is over. A computer is expected to have video output. Nintendo is gearing up to shear the sheep again with no-effort ports of WiiU Zelda games. With a handheld PC, your Steam library goes with you for decades.

From Switch moving on will be forward compatible.  You purchase a switch 2 all your switch games come forward with you.  It was one of the major goals for the NX. 

Only 13 million people bought a Wiiu, there's  almost 120 million Switch owners. That's 107 million people who never had access to play Wiiu games.  So to them that's new games and they'll also be getting BOTW a few months after :juggle:

If having a TV out is all that's needed for the hybrid features to be ready then I guess Deck TV experience is complete as is then? :umad:

Edited by Goukosan
3 hours ago, Goukosan said:

So over 120 million people wants Nintendo exclusives and that's the only reason they bought a Switch? Damn...Nintendo is in an even better position than I thought... Lol

As far as deck and their goals for hybrid functionality.  You're projecting your goals onto valve.  From everything I've heard from Valve, their goals are to provide a handheld PC experience.   Do you have something that says otherwise from them? 

In a round about way you proved the point I was making earlier with the differentiating factors between the two. 

You just said that deck will appeal to console gamers who want a console like experience on a TV.... If they want a console like experience they'll just get a PS5 or a Xbox because there won't be any games made specifically and exclusively for the deck like it is for the Switch..... You know the same users who's only reason you just said 120 million people bought a Switch... To play exclusive games.... If the deck doesn't have exclusives what would be the reason to get it to solely play on a TV when you can just get a console to do that?

So om one had you're saying the Switch is successful because of it's exclusives but on the other you're saying the deck will be a serious threat without any exclusives?..... Um ok:umad:

First of all, 120 million people didn't buy Switches.. many people own multiple, and have replaced old ones.  But yes... if not for portability or Nintendo's own games... why the fuck else would they?

And no, I'm not projecting... Valve's highlighting the "portable PC experience" because they're currently trying to sell the device to PC gamers with Steam accounts and many games already...  They've already advertised how the Deck is a fully functional PC, and they're coming out with their own Dock.

The Deck appeals to PC GAMERS who want a console like experience either on the go, or connected to a TV, with their library of games.  I mean... I know why I bought it lol... I got a Deck instead of a PS5, or Series X. The Deck ALSO appeals to ANY gamer who wants to play games portably.  If you're looking to play games portably... you might look at the amount of games you could play on the Deck overall, and think it's a far better device than Switch.  The current console gamer who isn't interested in portable gaming already has a console... The portable factor could sway them to buy either Switch or Deck alongside their console, depending on what they value.  Xbox fans might want to play their Xbox games on their Deck... Some PS5 fans might want to play PS5 exclusives or whatever else.  Some might want Switch exclusives and buy Switch... which is why I said that. 

If it's not the exclusives, it's the portable factor... one or the other, or both.  I've seen TONS of people on forums saying they'd get a Switch version of a game because of the portability factor.  There's also lots of posts like this, with people saying for the most part they'd rather just game on their Deck than on their PC for all but the heavy graphical games... same with PS5 owners as well.  It's an amazing companion device.

aas2.png

And cmon man... of course the Switch IS successful because of it's exclusives :Jeff:

3 hours ago, Remij said:

First of all, 120 million people didn't buy Switches.. many people own multiple, and have replaced old ones.  But yes... if not for portability or Nintendo's own games... why the fuck else would they?

And no, I'm not projecting... Valve's highlighting the "portable PC experience" because they're currently trying to sell the device to PC gamers with Steam accounts and many games already...  They've already advertised how the Deck is a fully functional PC, and they're coming out with their own Dock.

The Deck appeals to PC GAMERS who want a console like experience either on the go, or connected to a TV, with their library of games.  I mean... I know why I bought it lol... I got a Deck instead of a PS5, or Series X. The Deck ALSO appeals to ANY gamer who wants to play games portably.  If you're looking to play games portably... you might look at the amount of games you could play on the Deck overall, and think it's a far better device than Switch.  The current console gamer who isn't interested in portable gaming already has a console... The portable factor could sway them to buy either Switch or Deck alongside their console, depending on what they value.  Xbox fans might want to play their Xbox games on their Deck... Some PS5 fans might want to play PS5 exclusives or whatever else.  Some might want Switch exclusives and buy Switch... which is why I said that. 

If it's not the exclusives, it's the portable factor... one or the other, or both.  I've seen TONS of people on forums saying they'd get a Switch version of a game because of the portability factor.  There's also lots of posts like this, with people saying for the most part they'd rather just game on their Deck than on their PC for all but the heavy graphical games... same with PS5 owners as well.  It's an amazing companion device.

aas2.png

And cmon man... of course the Switch IS successful because of it's exclusives :Jeff:

That 120 million I said is how much they will have by the end of the year.   I wasn't talking about just Switch units sold... Im talking about active users.  As of March 2022 they had over 100 million active annual users ( that's a different stat from units sold) 

"Nintendo has revealed that it now has more than 100 million annual playing users. The company shared the new milestone as part of its fiscal year financial results for the period ending in March 2022."

A year before that they had 80 something million active users and added another 20 million or so in one year. 

Switch is popular because it's checks multiple boxes not just one.  It's a combination of the portable factor, the exclusives, Hybrid nature and the ability to play console games on the go. It's not one or the other its all of it. 

My projection comment was about you saying valves goals to make it a  HYBRID system and not just a portable.  I asked if you had anything which  valve had said to indicate this?    Obviously I wasn't talking about the portability of the deck... I'm Talking about the TV experience. 

Deck is currently just a portable and obviously can play console/PC games on the go.... But does not have the exclusives orthe full fledged hybrid factor...you say those things are coming in the future. 

Time will tell.. But as of now it's not ready. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

That 120 million I said is how much they will have by the end of the year.   I wasn't talking about just Switch units sold... Im talking about active users.  As of March 2022 they had over 100 million active annual users ( that's a different stat from units sold) 

"Nintendo has revealed that it now has more than 100 million annual playing users. The company shared the new milestone as part of its fiscal year financial results for the period ending in March 2022."

A year before that they had 80 something million active users and added another 20 million or so in one year. 

Switch is popular because it's checks multiple boxes not just one.  It's a combination of the portable factor, the exclusives, Hybrid nature and the ability to play console games on the go. It's not one or the other its all of it. 

My projection comment was about you saying valves goals to make it a  HYBRID system and not just a portable.  I asked if you had anything which  valve had said to indicate this?    Obviously I was talking about the portability of the deck... Talking about the TV experience. 

Deck is currently just a portable and obviously can play console/PC games on the go.... But does not have the exclusives or doesn't have the full fledged hybrid factor...you say those things are coming in thw future. 

Time will tell.. But as of now it's not ready. 

I never said it was ready now 😉 

On 2022-09-10 at 3:22 AM, Remij said:

Gouko and I are having an actual discussion.  LOL this clown trying to act like any time someone has a discussion it's a "go-around"... because he can't hold one of his own.  That's how you know I have him permanently butthurt.  He doesn't even know why a "jerry-go-round" actually called that :lawl: 

Notice how nobody started crying in this thread about the discussion.... until you came in here to do just that.  You're literally trying to derail this thread, right now and make it about you :tom: 

And no sweetie... this thread isn't about only the Playstation 5... it's about all consoles...  And we're talking about the market and the devices on the market.

LOL what more do you want us to say?  That Playstation is smacking down Nintendo now in the UK? Cause that's what this thread is ACTUALLY about... Sure OK :kaz: 

bubu you pwobabwy onwy wanna tawk about Xbawkz, right? :feelsbadman:

And I'm literally saying Deck isn't directly competing with Switch... if it was it would be on store shelves.  It's competing in the sense that there's another option out there for people who want portable gaming.. Switch isn't alone anymore.. Idiot :ovolol:

Holy shit, he continued melting down during the middle of a saturday night :tom:

good thing I didn't choose to board that Remierry-go-round™

3 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

Digital Foundry: "everybody always over estimates the capabilities of a Nintendo console before we see it. Performance is not what Nintendo is about"

LOL they also said that the PC industry was not in good shape right now in previous episodes.