RE4 remake coming to PS4

• Twinblade★ changed the title to RE4 remake coming to PS4
11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Its Yakuza, which isn't a big budget graphical powerhouse. But new RE games should be pushing better tech and graphics.

There's six RE Engine games on the PS4... The fuckin' engine even runs on the Switch. This engine is optimised as fuck which is the entire point of the engine. 

Yea, I mean game engines nowadays can scale down quite easily... it's literally not much of an issue to reduce a bunch of polygons from models and lower some texture settings.  Same goes with enemies on screen... resolution of effects.. whatever else you want to think of.  RE4 Remake was never going to be some game massively pushing the CPUs with physics and things like that.. so it's the right call I'd say.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

Yea, I mean game engines nowadays can scale down quite easily... it's literally not much of an issue to reduce a bunch of polygons from models and lower some texture settings.  Same goes with enemies on screen... resolution of effects.. whatever else you want to think of.  RE4 Remake was never going to be some game massively pushing the CPUs with physics and things like that.. so it's the right call I'd say.

Creating the same game on a weaker platform is clearly going to use up resources that could go towards pushing the pixel count on the main version without having to worry about making sure those assets are scalable to weaker hardware.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Creating the same game on a weaker platform is clearly going to use up resources that could go towards pushing the pixel count on the main version without having to worry about making sure those assets are scalable to weaker hardware.

Not really.  A lot of that work is already being done regardless to ensure scalability on the PC platform so they can target the widest configuration of PCs possible for their game.

4 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

This might be the longest cross gen era ever.

Devs went from saying 1 year of cross gen tk now cross gen games through 2024.

Sony went from saying "we believe in generations" to we believed in generations" :hest: 

RE4 being remade is probably going to be as big and popular a release as the RE2 remake.

So, the entire purpose of the remake is for it to be a moneymaker, so that is why they are going to have some version of it running on PS4.

In many ways, the game is quite linear, so its not like it would be something that is so big and heavy that they couldn't get the game running decently on a PS4 or PS4pro.

Alot of these RE remakes still have very static environments, right? Its not like they're utilizing ridiculous physics engines or super advanced A.I.

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

if Anything that’s more of a reason to commit to one console generation, and then if they want the extra money they can work on a last gen version post launch

Well I guess it's a good thing you're not giving these companies financial advice because that's a dumbass take.

9 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Well I guess it's a good thing you're not giving these companies financial advice because that's a dumbass take.

There are plenty of examples out there that prove otherwise. Look at the situation with BF2042. They tried making a technically ambitious game on 5 different platforms while everybody was working from home and the end product was a mess on all of them. If they had limited the scope of the project to current gen it might have still had issues but it would have been a better game and a better looking/performing game  overall. 

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

There are plenty of examples out there that prove otherwise. Look at the situation with BF2042. They tried making a technically ambitious game on 5 different platforms while everybody was working from home and the end product was a mess on all of them. If they had limited the scope of the project to current gen it might have still had issues but it would have been a better game and a better looking/performing game  overall. 

Jesus Fuckin' Christ, Twinblade.... You're killing me here.

Yes, clearly the Frostbite Engine, an engine notorious for being a pain in the ass to work with, had nothing to do with that. This is totally similar to the RE Engine, an engine so optimised it can run on the Switch. Totally the same.