Is buying a Switch Lite really a bad idea?

I've been collecting Switch games as of late so it makes no sense that I don't actually have a Switch. However 400$ CAD for a regular Switch is really steep of a price for the outdated hardware. The Switch Lite price is much more appealing at 250$. Don't care so much about not playing the games on my TV, I just need a Switch to try a bunch of Switch games. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Launch models are more susceptible to the drift... Since I got mine fixed by Nintendo for free about 4 years ago... It has not had the drift issue again.    Yes a successor is coming out soo

Just for fun. I had no plan on picking up NES games, it just sort of happened on a whim. The stickers on the cartridges were in great condition and the games were cheap, I'm not going to make money fr

Also, STEAM is an unreliable piece of trash. I always have issues with it, like my achievements being bugged out and not showing. I don't trust it anymore and I now think putting all my eggs in the sa

Also, STEAM is an unreliable piece of trash. I always have issues with it, like my achievements being bugged out and not showing. I don't trust it anymore and I now think putting all my eggs in the same basket was a really bad idea. I'll still gaming on PC and STEAM but I also want to invest in other platforms. 

I'll buy a PS5 and a PSVR2 when I get back in the workforce. 

• Geese 1
2 minutes ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Might make sense for your need but I’d still get the regular one or preferably OLED. 

Well, the OLDED is only 50$ more than the regular model, if I were to pick between the two regular Switch, I'd probably pick up the OLED. 

But I don't want to break the bank for this, especially with a possible successor looming on the horizon. What if it plays all Switch games through backward compatibility? I'm gonna regret it. 

I kept hearing the Lite was trash when it came out and I'm trying to figure out why exactly. From what I can gather it actually has better controls than regular joycons and the screen is better than the regular Switch. 

What worries me is the performance of games in handheld mode though. I see GD complain about this all the time. 

13 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I've been collecting Switch games as of late so it makes no sense that I don't actually have a Switch. However 400$ CAD for a regular Switch is really steep of a price for the outdated hardware. The Switch Lite price is much more appealing at 250$. Don't care so much about not playing the games on my TV, I just need a Switch to try a bunch of Switch games. 

Get the OLED model, try to get it used to pay less. 

But if price is your main concern then the lite is the cheap entry model. 

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Get the OLED model, try to get it used to pay less. 

But if price is your main concern then the lite is the cheap entry model. 

A Switch successor is coming out soon. I'll play my OLED for like a year and then a new, more powerful Switch will come out. 

Unless I can find one used at a good price but Nintendo stuff retains high prices so I'm not counting that to happen. Id rather buy a new platform anyway, especially with that joycon drifting thing I keep hearing about.

1 minute ago, MalaXmaS said:

Is it a bad idea because if the joycons go out, and they will go out, you are basically fucked.

So it happens on the Lite as well? Why has this problem not being fixed yet? I don't get it. 

Edited by Ramza
10 minutes ago, Ramza said:

A Switch successor is coming out soon. I'll play my OLED for like a year and then a new, more powerful Switch will come out. 

Unless I can find one used at a good price but Nintendo stuff retains high prices so I'm not counting that to happen. Id rather buy a new platform anyway, especially with that joycon drifting thing I keep hearing about.

Launch models are more susceptible to the drift... Since I got mine fixed by Nintendo for free about 4 years ago... It has not had the drift issue again. 

Yes a successor is coming out soon that will be fully BC.... 

But they typically have excellent trade in programs when you pre-order the new system..(after launch you don't get that extra trade value.)

Try to get a used Switch in good condition, keep it until the new model comes out... Take advantage of the pre-order trade-in launch bonus and you could probably get the same value you paid for a used lite. 

So you lose nothing. 

• Upvote 2
44 minutes ago, Ramza said:

Also, STEAM is an unreliable piece of trash. I always have issues with it, like my achievements being bugged out and not showing. I don't trust it anymore and I now think putting all my eggs in the same basket was a really bad idea. I'll still gaming on PC and STEAM but I also want to invest in other platforms. 

I'll buy a PS5 and a PSVR2 when I get back in the workforce. 

you could start buying games on other clients ya know....like EGS :takei:

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Saucer said:

You're caving. :biggrin: :-* 

I'd spend the extra $100 and get the dock if you plan on buying a good amount of action games. I don't know if I'm in the minority, but the Switch is less comfortable to play than the 3DS was. 

Well, I won't lie, Switch has accumulated a lot of games that are just my type. The Xenoblade series alone should keep me entertained for a while. That and the fact that I am now using the money I would normally spent on cigarettes, weed or booze for games and collectibles instead. I'm geeking out hard lately. I already have some Switch games and a bunch of amiibos. haha

You have a pro controller I assume?

52 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

It is a bad idea because if the joycons go out, and they will go out, you are basically fucked.

I have a launch day switch and have never had an issue with the joycons. Granted mostly use the pro controller..

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

Well, I won't lie, Switch has accumulated a lot of games that are just my type. The Xenoblade series alone should keep me entertained for a while. That and the fact that I am now using the money I would normally spent on cigarettes, weed or booze for games and collectibles instead. I'm geeking out hard lately. I already have some Switch games and a bunch of amiibos. haha

You have a pro controller I assume?

I actually don't. I bought an 8BitDo adapter that lets me use all my old Nintendo controllers on the Switch, and the joycon grip it comes with is okay, so I never bothered.

Here's the adapter: https://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

Joycons are the worst aspect of the Switch. I hate how wobbly they are. My kid has a Switch but I never play it. Id probably get a Lite and hack it if I was gonna get a switch for myself. But let's be real I'm emulating Switch on the Steam Deck.

• Geese 1

It's funny, everyone says no but I have yet to hear a single good argument other than the drift not being replaceable on the Lite. Which is not a guaranteed issue. 

Not being able to play my games on my TV is a 100% irrelevant to me at the moment. Let me put this into perspective, I haven't used my TV more than a few hours in the past 6 months because that one time the internet connection was down so I played my PS Mini. All my gaming has been done on a 15 inches laptop screen. I give zero fucks about the 'big screen' experience. 

I don't want to spend 450$ on old outdated hardware, I might as well use that to finance a PS5. So Lite it is. Have a nice day, you fools.