The housing market is a joke

I’ve been buying houses for over 15 years. Never have I seen the houses go for 30-50k MORE than the asking prices this often. Trying to flip 2-3 houses this year, what a fucking mess. Just offered 400k on a house listed at 320, and someone out bid me. This has happened like 3 times this year already, wtf??? These aren’t even nice houses. 

Edited by Jerrys Hair Line
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, of course not. There was no deal involved.

You're owning ghostz even in real life 

@Jerrys Hair Line at least you aren’t in  Honolulu lol. Check out the prices there. 

That was the situation here like 3 years ago when we were buying. It's settled down a bit with the interest rates but yeah. I remember we offered like 750 on one listed at 7 and it sold for 850 :kaz:

But from the agents perspective, listing below market value gets more people in the door and creates the bidding war. We learned pretty quick that in most cases the price aint the price.

Edited by Casual
Just now, -GD-X said:

400k on a house is cheap in South Florida. Most of the homes we own are $800,000+ and they are just “nice”, nothing fancy. 

Yeah Pittsburgh is a different market, usually houses (well 5 years ago) were around 300k. Now those 300k houses are 800k lol… even though nothing has changed about them. Lol

these houses I’m bidding on are basically gutted but in decently nice areas, so easy to flip and sell for 800k. But corporations are making all cash offers, offering more, etc. I guess to turn into rentals idk. 

Fortunately, due to the air bnb crash here, the bidding wars have ended. You can get asking price. Still, with ridiculous insurance rates, we are no longer buying anymore investment properties here and we are considering exploring other areas. 

1 minute ago, Jerrys Hair Line said:

Yeah Pittsburgh is a different market, usually houses (well 5 years ago) were around 300k. Now those 300k houses are 800k lol… even though nothing has changed about them. Lol

these houses I’m bidding on are basically gutted but in decently nice areas, so easy to flip and sell for 800k. But corporations are making all cash offers, offering more, etc. I guess to turn into rentals idk. 

Ha. That’s what we did lol. 

Just now, -GD-X said:

Fortunately, due to the air bnb crash here, the bidding wars have ended. You can get asking price. Still, with ridiculous insurance rates, we are no longer buying anymore investment properties here and we are considering exploring other areas. 

Yeah interest is insane. I’m used to 1.8-3%, it’s around 6.5 right now. Doesn’t really matter for what I’m trying to do but some of these people are out of their mind locking themselves into these deals just to have to spend thousands on refinancing years later. 

Yeah interest is insane. I’m used to 1.8-3%, it’s around 6.5 right now. Doesn’t really matter for what I’m trying to do but some of these people are out of their mind locking themselves into these deals just to have to spend thousands on refinancing years later. 

Unless you are buying with cash, don’t bother. Your ROI will suck otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

You're owning ghostz even in real life 

My family has always been big on real estate. Though, after our latest round of flips, we have hit the brakes. Florida is a mess, especially South Florida and Tampa. 

On 2023-04-13 at 9:18 AM, Jerrys Hair Line said:

I’ve been buying houses for over 15 years. Never have I seen the houses go for 30-50k MORE than the asking prices this often. Trying to flip 2-3 houses this year, what a fucking mess. Just offered 400k on a house listed at 320, and someone out bid me. This has happened like 3 times this year already, wtf??? These aren’t even nice houses. 

Now I know you're full of crap.

That was a year ago. It is no longer the case that is happening. Like at all with these interest rates lol. 

Anyway, I'm probably gonna buy a flat soon in the Midwest. Enjoy paying 500k for a dump when I can have a luxury apartment in the middle of Chicago at an 80% discount. 

12 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Dude that's nothing. :D

"Nothing" ? 

Lol you'll be spending your whole life paying off that mortgage my man. The taxes alone will be over $5,000 per year. You might as well take that 5k and throw it in the incinerator. 

1 hour ago, SheepKilla said:

Now I know you're full of crap.

That was a year ago. It is no longer the case that is happening. Like at all with these interest rates lol. 

Anyway, I'm probably gonna buy a flat soon in the Midwest. Enjoy paying 500k for a dump when I can have a luxury apartment in the middle of Chicago at an 80% discount. 

Why am I full of crap?? 

37 minutes ago, SheepKilla said:

"Nothing" ? 

Lol you'll be spending your whole life paying off that mortgage my man. The taxes alone will be over $5,000 per year. You might as well take that 5k and throw it in the incinerator. 

I'm saying that any housing market where $300k gets you a 1500 square foot home is hardly a disaster. I'm from Toronto and the average detached home price is $960k USD. $300k USD gets you a 500 square foot 1+1 condo in an undesirable part of the city.

It's not even like NY/SF/LA where it's been ridiculous for decades and that's just what you expect. When I came out of uni in 2009 and got my first job at PwC I was looking at brand new 800 square foot condos in the downtown core for $250k CAD. Now those same condos are all $800k+ even with the decade of deprecation. That's a disaster.