DF - Asus ROG Ally Review vs Steam Deck: The Fastest PC Handheld... But Is It The Best?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

steamdeck feels like a console. it's amazing how quick it is to get going. rog will probably be a bit clunky, initially.

Ally will be even better when it runs SteamOS.

Im not gonna lie, these devices have given me a newfound appreciation for the Switch. While its hardware is clearly dated, what Nintendo accomplished a whole 6 years ago when it came to the size, weig

Posted Images

I'm jealous of Ally's cooling system, and that's it. By all accounts, Valve did a better job with ergonomics and control quality, which is super important. Id like a better quality panel than the one in the Deck, but 1080p is too much for a handheld.

Ally is cool, but it's not the Deck upgrade I want.

TwinkieHBR!

Deck remains the best all-around option....not sure why some people are so hard to see it fail. Its good that more products are coming to tbe market for more choice though, Ally looks to be the one if you want pure power above everything else.

Really just goes to show how well Valve has handled the Steam Deck design.  Keep in mind it's also running through a translation layer, on a completely different operating system.. and it's performance is improving all the time really.

But yea, Ally is a damn nice device.  If Asus addresses some of the concerns with power management as well as issues with the controls, they have a winner on their hands.

Either way, it's great to see more devices like these hitting the market and it continuing to grow quite rapidly.  It also makes me wonder where the Switch 2 will eventually fall regarding its power.

All hermits did when the deck came out was install every triple A game out there and go apeshit over how good they looked and ran on a handheld. Now there’s a competitor that’s more powerful but for some reason power no longer matters, they’d rather nitpick irrelevant quirks that hardly matter much for this kind of device.

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

All hermits did when the deck came out was install every triple A game out there and go apeshit over how good they looked and ran on a handheld. Now there’s a competitor that’s more powerful but for some reason power no longer matters, they’d rather nitpick irrelevant quirks that hardly matter much for this kind of device.

Who are you talking about?

Who is saying power no longer matters?

What irrelevant quirks are you referring to?  You mean.... battery life and usability? :drake: 

Let's not forget that you thought you knew better and ended up buying a device that nobody is talking about here and that you were dissatisfied with.  Why do you seem to be so concerned with the fact that some of us are happy with our purchases although it's not the most powerful thing out there anymore?

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

That projection.

When steamdeck came out a subset of people seemed to have a vendetta against it. Now all thse other handhelds get announced and you jump from one to the other hyping the "steamdeck" killer, despite all of them sharing many of the same shortcomings. Hell even goukosan seems ok with this and he was defensive against the Deck from day one.

I get it with sheep, even though the Deck isnt a threat at retail, its a threat in terms of reputation and mindshare, whereas all the niche devices will remain niche. For people like you however...I dont get why you're so desperate for that steamdeck killer? You didnt like many of the features of a handheld PC....then went on to hype more handheld PC products even though they had the same flaws :drake:

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Not only that, but well over half of their advertised features didn't work at all when it launched..........and they said that it simply wasn't fair to review it at this time

But that's not stopping them with the Ally this time around:tom:

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Not only that, but well over half of their advertised features didn't work at all when it launched..........and they said that it simply wasn't fair to review it at this time

But that's not stopping them with the Ally this time around:tom:

Tales from your asshole.

Who's hating on the Ally?  And as always it's easy to reverse uno your bitch ass and note how quickly you were to hate the Steam Deck for supposed issues, when you're all too willing to ignore them for this device... which is over a year later :cmpunk1:

45 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

That projection.

When steamdeck came out a subset of people seemed to have a vendetta against it. Now all thse other handhelds get announced and you jump from one to the other hyping the "steamdeck" killer, despite all of them sharing many of the same shortcomings. Hell even goukosan seems ok with this and he was defensive against the Deck from day one.

I get it with sheep, even though the Deck isnt a threat at retail, its a threat in terms of reputation and mindshare, whereas all the niche devices will remain niche. For people like you however...I dont get why you're so desperate for that steamdeck killer? You didnt like many of the features of a handheld PC....then went on to hype more handheld PC products even though they had the same flaws :drake:

Exactly.  Jerry clearly has a vendetta against anything Gabe Newell or Valve related...  He was all too ready to shit on the Steam Deck for any little thing he could... but now he's all quiet regarding many of those same issues on this new device... simply because it's from a different company and is more powerful.

The guy even hates on Steam while praising the fucking Epic Game Store....  He's even tried to disparage people's "Steam libraries" on here as of late... lmfao.. all while those PS exclusive games are lying around collecting dust.. :danylol: 

• dead 1
25 minutes ago, Remij said:

Tales from your asshole.

Who's hating on the Ally?  And as always it's easy to reverse uno your bitch ass and note how quickly you were to hate the Steam Deck for supposed issues, when you're all too willing to ignore them for this device... which is over a year later :cmpunk1:

LOL you are, since you're a steam fanboy

what would you be doing on this very forum if the nintendo switch menu options LITERALLY were crashing the system and causing hitches at launch?

Looks like I reversed your reverse, second-class bitch.

Hell, the Ally even has steam beat on that metric.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL you are, since you're a steam fanboy

what would you be doing on this very forum if the nintendo switch menu options LITERALLY were crashing the system and causing hitches at launch?

Looks like I reversed your reverse, second-class bitch.

Hell, the Ally even has steam beat on that metric.

You just said a bunch of nothing and tried copying me... of course you failed again... now draw 4 cards asshole :tom: 

As expected, our resident sheep going easier on the Ally than they ever have on the Steamdeck.

Because they know things like the Ally will always be niche, but Steamdeck has the mindshare and stole the thunder from the Switch.

At the end of the day the Ally is still a PC and Steam will still be BY FAR the most used digital store on the device....so nice self ownage? :drake: It's still a better gaming handheld than the Switch.

It's not surprising one bit that jerry thinks hiding behind Ally to defend against Steamdeck is a viable tactic. It's not.

I just watched the video. There's clear issues with battery consumption that will hopefully be addressed with software/firmware updates.

I don't think its a bit unfair that he seemed ignore the fact that the Ally's screen is brighter by default. He should have lowered the brightness to match the steam deck, that would make for a better comparison.

But I still think its silly how he claims Steam is leagues better from a portability perspective, even though most people don't even take it outside. If 90% of the time you decide to play your portable PC is when you're in bed or on the couch a few feet from an outlet, then the Ally is clearly the better choice.

21 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I just watched the video. There's clear issues with battery consumption that will hopefully be addressed with software/firmware updates.

I don't think its a bit unfair that he seemed ignore the fact that the Ally's screen is brighter by default. He should have lowered the brightness to match the steam deck, that would make for a better comparison.

But I still think its silly how he claims Steam is leagues better from a portability perspective, even though most people don't even take it outside. If 90% of the time you decide to play your portable PC is when you're in bed or on the couch a few feet from an outlet, then the Ally is clearly the better choice.

The Ally can't go as dim as the Steamdeck.

On the portability oh the irony. People were bitching about the steamdeck not being portable enough, but NOW it doesn't matter because everyone only plays inside :roll:

Lets look at your original gripes with steamdeck

- Doesn't run windows = turns out windows is a lacklustre experience on these devices

- Not 1080p = Turns out you realize 1080p isn't worth it yet in a handheld

- Short battery life = True of all handheld PC platforms

You jumped from Ayaneo to Ally and neither one fixes all of your gripes with Steamdeck.

5 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

The Ally can't go as dim as the Steamdeck.

On the portability oh the irony. People were bitching about the steamdeck not being portable enough, but NOW it doesn't matter because everyone only plays inside :roll:

Lets look at your original gripes with steamdeck

- Doesn't run windows = turns out windows is a lacklustre experience on these devices

- Not 1080p = Turns out you realize 1080p isn't worth it yet in a handheld

- Short battery life = True of all handheld PC platforms

You jumped from Ayaneo to Ally and neither one fixes all of your gripes with Steamdeck.

The reality is that if you want to play games outside neither device is that useful unless you carry a power bank with you or play smaller, less graphically intensive games.

14 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

The reality is that if you want to play games outside neither device is that useful unless you carry a power bank with you or play smaller, less graphically intensive games.

I'd argue ~2 hours if you limit the power output to 15w is useful enough for most of us.  With the Deck and the Ally that's good enough for 720p medium/low and 1080p/medium+ respectively for bigger games.  If you want to play smaller less graphically intensive games you can get ~4-5 hours.. which is more than any adult will be doing without having access to an outlet I'd say.

One thing to keep in mind too though, is that by default the ROG Ally charges much quicker than the Steam Deck with it's 65w adapter and the ability to super-fast charge.  The Deck will only charge at 45w even if the charger supports more.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Remij said:

You just said a bunch of nothing and tried copying me..

No, you don't have a response..........you know exactly what I said, and the points I made........and you don't have a response to the very basic premise

"if Nintendo's handheld literally had issues in which opening menu and apps caused complete crashes when they launched the handheld, how would you have reacted on this very forum"

You don't want to answer that, because you know it makes you lose the very claim you just attempted.

Take the L, second-class bitch