Report: Sony "to secure an additional $8 billion-ish dollars for proactive Merger & Acquisitions"

7 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1660607782645829632

Bungie was their best purchase yet. I wonder if the Square Enix rumours are true.

Purchasing Square Enix is possible though I don't think they need to

The relationship they have with Square Enix is already too strong and not at risk at all.

Japanese companies tend to favor partnerships and long term relationships over acquisitions and Square Enix being a Japanese company will already have several laws protecting them from a hostile takeover from any non-Japanese companies.

I think this money is probably for buying out some other company entirely.

Sony said it would consider spinning off and relisting shares of its financial services arm to bolster investments in its entertainment business, delighting investors with a U-turn in strategy. Shares in the Japanese group rose 6.4 per cent on Thursday as investors welcomed the move as a way to unlock value in the Japanese conglomerate. Sony plans to retain a stake of about 20 per cent and target a timeframe of two to three years for the listing.

Three years ago, Sony spent $3.7bn to take full control of its financial unit, which houses the group’s online banking and insurance businesses, despite pressure from US activist investor Third Point to break up and focus on entertainment. But at a news conference, Sony’s newly appointed president Hiroki Totoki said a partial spin-off of its financial arm was necessary to strengthen its investment capacity. “In order to expand our growth over the medium to longer term, we will need the ability to invest in image sensors and the entertainment business at a completely new level,” Totoki said. In the past five years, Sony has gone on an acquisition spree to expand its entertainment assets, buying EMI Music Publishing for $2.3bn and spending $1.2bn to acquire AT&T’s anime streaming service Crunchyroll. Totoki said Sony would make use of a government scheme that allows companies to break up their units without incurring additional tax burdens. Companies in Japan have come under increasing pressure from activist investors and the Tokyo Stock Exchange to improve governance and capital efficiency. Japan’s stocks have been propelled by growing hopes of higher governance standards, larger share buybacks and other value-boosting measures. On Thursday, the benchmark Topix index was at a 33-year high, up more than 15.5 per cent since the start of the year. David Gibson, a longtime Sony analyst at MST Financial, said the move was consistent with the company’s plans to scale up its investment in image sensors and entertainment. He said the eventual initial public offering of Sony Financial was likely to be used to help fund “aggressive merger and acquisition” activity by the company. “Consolidation in entertainment has been happening and Sony doesn’t want to be left behind,” he added. Recommended News in-depthSony Corp Anime and ‘The Last of Us’ are transforming Sony’s business Macquarie analyst Damian Thong called the latest decision by Sony “an excellent move”, saying “it is good that Sony is able to change course when new opportunities present themselves”. Many investors questioned Sony’s original decision to take full control of its financial business in 2020, noting the lack of synergy with the group’s other businesses. At the time, executives explained that the diversity of its business portfolio was a strength for Sony. “It probably removes a bit of conglomerate discount,” said a major Sony shareholder. “It’s not a massive game changer, but I think it is incrementally the right decision.”

40 minutes ago, FIREPOWER said:

Purchasing Square Enix is possible though I don't think they need to

The relationship they have with Square Enix is already too strong and not at risk at all.

Japanese companies tend to favor partnerships and long term relationships over acquisitions and Square Enix being a Japanese company will already have several laws protecting them from a hostile takeover from any non-Japanese companies.

I think this money is probably for buying out some other company entirely.

One word. Dragon Quest. Though it's not happening Capcom would be the ultimate buyout.

Just now, Playstation Tablet said:

One word. Dragon Quest. Though it's not happening Capcom would be the ultimate buyout.

Look at you over here fantazing about 1st party studios purchasing  major 3rd party publishers. 

Just now, Playstation Tablet said:

I fap to Sony daily. :glad:

but after Bungie it's clear they're looking into expanding more.

Purchasing a developer like Bungie is fine and dandy. 

That's different from purchasing a major 3rd party publisher. 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

I don't even know what developers are up for sales right now. The amounts Sony at least seems to want to spend is in the publisher range at this point.

2 hours ago, Goukosan said:

No it's not 

It's the same shit.

Power of money, crying baby cow bitches 

Sony's going to find it a lot harder to buy one of the big Japanese publishers now, after the circus act they've performed during the MS/Activision merger..  US officials are already calling into question trade relations and Sony's utter monopoly of the Japanese high end gaming market... and their anti-competitive deals to prevent games from appearing anywhere else.

:francis: 

Edited by Remij
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

Sony's going to find it a lot harder to buy one of the big Japanese publishers now, after the circus act they've performed during the MS/Activision merger..  US officials are already calling into question trade relations and Sony's utter monopoly of the Japanese high end gaming market... and their anti-competitive deals to prevent games from appearing anywhere else.

Which makes everything worse for them. Sony bitching about exclusive grabs when they have been doing the same thing in Japan.

Look at poor Sony getting Bungie, they are the good guys!

But look at MS doing it with Bethesda! Bad MS!

4 hours ago, Remij said:

Drinking that MS kool-aid which brands exclusivity deals as anti competitive :kaz:

when MS were the ones that made the dumb choice that exclusives didn't matter. 

They actively made that choice to stop going after 3rd party exclusives abandoning the strategy they used for both the OG Xbox and 360.. Which both had tons of first and 3rd party exclusives. 

Bbbbbbut it's anticompetitive :awww:

• dead 1
9 hours ago, Playstation Tablet said:

Them buying Capcom is possible actually.

Sony bought EVO and owning Capcom would play directly into that.

Sony also has a very strong partnership with Capcom and they could own Capcom and still release games that Capcom makes on multiple platforms

It would actually be a relatively easy merger for Sony seeing as both companies are Japanese

Anyway, we'll know soon enough. $8 Billion is enough for them to buy a lot of studios or Japanese publishers.

Edited by FIREPOWER
2 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Drinking that MS kool-aid which brands exclusivity deals as anti competitive :kaz:

when MS were the ones that made the dumb choice that exclusives didn't matter. 

They actively made that choice to stop going after 3rd party exclusives abandoning the strategy they used for both the OG Xbox and 360.. Which both had tons of first and 3rd party exclusives. 

Bbbbbbut it's anticompetitive :awww:

That's literally what the senator said though... doesn't mean I agree with it...  In fact, I'm pretty sure I've said on here that Sony SHOULD buy Square.  I just think now, since MS clearly ran to US officials about Sony's monopoly in Japan... that it could be much more difficult.

Relax Goober jeez :tom: 

5 minutes ago, Remij said:

That's literally what the senator said though... doesn't mean I agree with it...  In fact, I'm pretty sure I've said on here that Sony SHOULD buy Square.  I just think now, since MS clearly ran to US officials about Sony's monopoly in Japan... that it could be much more difficult.

Relax Goober jeez :tom: 

that one senator is drinking the kool aid too :kaz:

No reason for Sony to buy Square-Enix.

Its not a conspiracy.........Square-Enix does not care to make games on Xbox, because its borderline useless in Japan, and most of Europe.

They're developing Xbox ports of their games for one territory, and they clearly see that the PS5 is running away with North America.

And now that Square-Enix has dumped their western studios.....they have no reason to develop beyond the PS5.

Why would Sony waste money on Square-Enix to do something for them that they're already doing for almost no money at all? Just some marketing deals.:drake:

Unless Square-Enix is in financial trouble and Sony thinks they can buy them for really cheap.

• Upvote 1