Apple Vision Pro (VR headset) - $3500

First impressions on the web I think. 

From there, the interface was surprisingly fluid. Looking at icons or interface options slightly enlarges them, or changes their boldness. Tapping with my fingers while looking at something opens an app up. 

I've used tons of hand tracking technology on headsets like the Hololens 2 and Meta Quest 2 and Pro, and usually there's a lot of hand motion. Here, I could be really lazy. I pinched to open icons even as my hand was resting in my lap, and it worked. 

The cinema demo was what really shocked me, though. I played a 3D clip of Avatar: The Way of Water in-headset, on a screen in various viewing modes including a cinema. Apple's mixed reality passthrough can also dim the rest of the world down a bit, in a way like the Magic Leap 2 does with its AR. But the scenes of Way of Water sent little chills through me. It was vivid. This felt like a movie experience. I don't feel that way in other VR headsets.

Full impressions:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/apples-vision-pro-hands-on-this-is-the-vr-headset-id-use-to-watch-3d-avatar/

Edited by Tears of the Cows
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2023/06/05/apple-stock-hits-all-time-high-then-falls-after-revealing-3500-price-tag-for-ai-headset/?sh=39f67e59551d   Apple Stock Hits All-Time High—Th

LOL it more likely than not dropped because they didn't announce anything AI related....   ..but that price tag certainly didn't help things either though  

Kinda as expected, this is more for devs to set up the eco system. I’m all there for gen 2 or 3 tho. 

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Tears of the Cows said:

So this thing is more so going after the hololens market more than say.. psvr2. HoloLens 2 costs $3500 as well. This looks much more advanced, of course. 

you're so uninformed, you don't even know the phrase AR

In other words.......you're the perfect person to be impressed by this video presentation.

The very fact that Apple does not even give basic information like FOV........or, unlike every single previous Apple new product announcement ever in the history of the company......gave NO LIVE ON-STAGE DEMONSTRATION, just goes to show that Apple doesn't know shit about this.

They spent the last 5 minutes of their video talking about..................viewing pictures.

But "spatial" pictures and the first "3-dimensional" video.....which is video playing on a flat surface in 3D space, which is what we all do with our regular tv screens.

I expect Apple presentations to have bullshit......but this one was almost completely full of it.

13 minutes ago, jehurey said:

you're so uninformed, you don't even know the phrase AR

In other words.......you're the perfect person to be impressed by this video presentation.

The very fact that Apple does not even give basic information like FOV........or, unlike every single previous Apple new product announcement ever in the history of the company......gave NO LIVE ON-STAGE DEMONSTRATION, just goes to show that Apple doesn't know shit about this.

They spent the last 5 minutes of their video talking about..................viewing pictures.

But "spatial" pictures and the first "3-dimensional" video.....which is video playing on a flat surface in 3D space, which is what we all do with our regular tv screens.

I expect Apple presentations to have bullshit......but this one was almost completely full of it.

Apparently the FOV is 120 but Apple didn’t confirm it, as you mentioned. 

2 hours ago, Tears of the Cows said:

It’s absolutely aimed at devs… which is why it was announced at the developer show. 

Pure spin. Apple uses WWDC for regular announcements since it's a huge press conference, just like Google announced the folding pixel at I/O, their developer convention. If this was a developer focused unveiling they would've spent as much time on APIs as they did on the headband fabric. :|

Screenshot_20230605-211109.png

3 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

Pure spin. Apple uses WWDC for regular announcements since it's a huge press conference, just like Google announced the folding pixel at I/O, their developer convention. If this was a developer focused unveiling they would've spent as much time on APIs as they did on the headband fabric. :|

Screenshot_20230605-211109.png

Well regardless, it’s priced accordingly with other high end AR headsets (hololens, magic leap,  varjo) and they don’t expect to sell that many in gen 1. 

1 hour ago, Remij said:

Just realized the prices are "starting at" $3500...  That implies there will be more expensive versions out there lmao.

well yeah, the $3500 model is just for the 64GB, that's not a joke, either.:hest:

So, its supposed to be a new computing platform, but they showed off looking at pictures and video, playing Apple arcade games, doing facetime calls, and it has the storage of a phone.

And they made it clear that if you wanted to do real, actual typing, their example was "to type an email", they'd recommend you have a keyboard. So its implying that its virtual keyboard is a slow piece of shit.

It appears to be a redesigned smartphone rather than an actual multi-tasking computer device.  And boy did they go out of their way to hide that battery pack. The actors pretty much stick it inside their pants.

• Geese 1
7 hours ago, jehurey said:

well yeah, the $3500 model is just for the 64GB, that's not a joke, either.:hest:

So, its supposed to be a new computing platform, but they showed off looking at pictures and video, playing Apple arcade games, doing facetime calls, and it has the storage of a phone.

And they made it clear that if you wanted to do real, actual typing, their example was "to type an email", they'd recommend you have a keyboard. So its implying that its virtual keyboard is a slow piece of shit.

It appears to be a redesigned smartphone rather than an actual multi-tasking computer device.  And boy did they go out of their way to hide that battery pack. The actors pretty much stick it inside their pants.

storage is 128gb and 256gb. 

It can do anything a MacBook can do. 

but where else would they put the battery? Lol. You can also plug it in if desired. 

Edited by Tears of the Cows
44 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/06/apple-vision-pro-demo-roundup-heres-what-everyone-is-saying.html

basically it's neat tech, but it's heavy, causes nausea and it isn't practical for most people.

Yeah, VR tech just isn’t there yet. It’s lighter than all (most?) other headsets like PSVR2 and Quest, and it is much higher resolution while running at 120hz, but standard VR problems still exist it seems. 

16 hours ago, jehurey said:

I like how pretty much everything they're doing has already been done before... and yet they act like they just invented it :D

1 hour ago, Remij said:

I like how pretty much everything they're doing has already been done before... and yet they act like they just invented it :D

And the itards fall for it every time.. It's amazing to watch.