Final Fantasy 16- 9 @ GS (TLHBR)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I beat Witcher 3 and BotW not because I liked them, but because I wanted to hate them from a place of completeness. I want to hate complete this game but it's just so fucking boring that I don't think

WaitC, PC's best and most consistent exclusive title

This game sucks.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Best Buy is letting me down. Past 4 over here and my copy hasn't arrived yet :shrug:

Should have just gone digital for this one. I doubt it gains value as a disc. :] 

Mostly just buying Switch games physical now. 

4 hours ago, Twinblade said:

WaitC, PC's best and most consistent exclusive title

Waiting for a few games is a non-issue when you lead the current gen at both GS and MC by over 100 high scoring titles vs the next best system (just like it did last gen to PS4). 

Gloat more about timed exclusives at 30-40 fps on low more will ya?

Edited by Substatic
2 hours ago, Ike said:

Should have just gone digital for this one. I doubt it gains value as a disc. :] 

Mostly just buying Switch games physical now. 

The deluxe edition would catch a pretty penny one day. But that was $100, no way was I paying that.

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

Any luck  @Twinblade ?

I think you and I will be the only ones playing. 

My copy from Gamestop that I "pre-ordered" the night before release won't arrive until Monday (like what the fuck, Gamestop?), but I'll be playing, too.

• aitch 1
16 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I wish you could reduce or turn off the motion blur. It’s overly aggressive and makes the game look worse.

I immediately looked for that and was sad it wasn’t available. 

Some quick thoughts

- While it gives off serious GoT vibes during the opening prologue, it still very much has the vibe of a FF game. It just focuses on a medieval theme and setting that we haven't seen in a while. Also, its quite darker than you'd expect with a lot of profanity. So I think thats part of where it seems to be inspired by GoT.

- The presentation is pretty great overall. The music and the environments are the standouts. Character models are a mixed bag, some of the lesser ones look pretty dated.

- Story is interesting but does move at a slow pace after the demo area.

- I like the pacing and design of the missions. You have this overworld map with new locations that unlock as you progress through the story, with many of the locations being their own unique area that are designed for a linear story based mission. That sounds limiting by today's standards but It actually reminds me a lot of how FFX was designed so I actually like this aspect.

- Combat is decent but I still have some issues with it. It just seems to encourage a lot of button mashing. And unlike FF7 Remake, the basic attack combo you spend a lot of time using doesn't feel as impactful as it should. It also seems that you can only equip 2 skills at once? Im still early on, so ill reserve judgement on that as I assume there's still a lot of abilities and other features to see.

- Outside of upgrading skills and some basic equipment options there's not that much depth or complexity when it comes to the RPG elements (so far).

So yeah I think its a solid game but its not really blowing me away. Im still early on and like many other RPGs including past FF games, there's still plenty of time for it to really open up.

So wait a minute, launch day stock is kinda sketchy right now?

I thought this was the game in which Square-Enix was "starting to panic" over pre-orders?

Looks like they're selling out of physical copies during launch at some retailers.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Some of these boss fights are nuts :ben: So much spectacle you sometimes have trouble keeping track of whats going on :D 

The insane thing is it only gets better too. Every new area and boss fight somehow tops the last. :aitch:

When you get into a good flow where you're juggling enemies and combining different attacks together to form combos, the combat feels quite satisfying and becomes reminiscent of something like DMC. But there's still too many moments where you just spam the attack button and go through the motions to whittle down some enemies' massive HP bars.

I think if they had reduced every enemy's HP by around 1/3rd and made them hit harder to make up for it, that would have made the combat feel more consistent and engaging.