Elder Scrolls Oblivion is getting a remake

First, there is the "Altar" project, which is the remaster/remake of Oblivion (the discussion for it being a full remake are still ongoing). It is done currently using a pairing system, so it means that the remaster is running using both an Unreal Engine 5 project, and the old Oblivion one. For instance, new graphics are rendered in the UE5 project, but most of the gameplay/physics/etc is still done in Oblivion. It should be released end of next year/early 25 depending mostly on if it's a remake or remaster. It is mostly done in paris, but Blackshamrock also helps the studio for the art.

Then you have an internal project, called Massive. This is for now in a really in an early step, but it has the ambition of becoming a big AAA project. This is basically a "Monster Hunter X Shadow of the Colossus". So you have gigantic bosses like in Shadow of the Colossus, and your goal is to defeat them in a post apocaliptic world in a coop/multiplayer game. Players are supposed to be really dynamic (by having double jumps, grabs, leaps, dashes, etc), and they will be able to stick to the boss during fights. They also have a stamina system for the attacks. They try to be as inovative as they can on the various cameras and fight.
1 hour ago, Ramza said:

Why not Morrowind? 

Probably a lot easier and profitable to make Oblivion.

Oblivion was when the series went mainstream, huge launch(?) title for the 360. More importantly, while it's not as dumbed down as Skyrim, it has a lot of the same modern conveniences and is significantly streamlined compared to Morrowind. They can update the graphics/engine and mostly leave the systems alone and have it play fine for a modern audience.

Morrowind I think would be a tough one for them to pull off - it never had that mainstream appeal so you have to hope it catches on. For them to do that, you probably have to dumb the systems down quite a bit and likely piss off the people who actually liked the game in the first place. And probably make the game quite a bit worse, honestly.

The interesting thing here is that Skyblivion is probably set to launch around the same time....

Edited by Casual
39 minutes ago, Casual said:

Probably a lot easier and profitable to make Oblivion.

Oblivion was when the series went mainstream, huge launch(?) title for the 360. More importantly, while it's not as dumbed down as Skyrim, it has a lot of the same modern conveniences and is significantly streamlined compared to Morrowind. They can update the graphics/engine and mostly leave the systems alone and have it play fine for a modern audience.

Morrowind I think would be a tough one for them to pull off - it never had that mainstream appeal so you have to hope it catches on. For them to do that, you probably have to dumb the systems down quite a bit and likely piss off the people who actually liked the game in the first place. And probably make the game quite a bit worse, honestly.

The interesting thing here is that Skyblivion is probably set to launch around the same time....

It wasn't a launch title. Came out somewhat late in 2006, irrc. 360 came out late 2005. 

I don't think mainstream appeal matter at all with Bethesda. Which is why a new IP like Starfield still gather massive attention despite not brand recognition. All they have to do is write ''by the developers of Skyrim and Fallout'' at the beginning for the dumb normies and we're good to go. 

It would be nice to have a PC version of Oblivion with gold gamepad controls. The menus are pretty old school now. It seems weird (maybe unbelievable) that Bethesda would do a UE5 remake rather than the upgraded Starfield engine.

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

Unless they removed the abysmal leveling system then why bother? Vanilla Oblivion is garbage once you put time into it.

There were a lot of more abilities to level up that were pretty much streamlined into Skyrim.

People calling Oblivion garbage while asking for Morrowind have no clue what they want.

PS, Morrowind is even more of a drag to level up.

Even jumping and running is something that you must level up in Morrowind.

Oblivion made me despise the thought of every playing a WRPG again. Turns out now i love them. I wonder if i would enjoy oblivion now.

I do remember being turned into a vampire and i fucking HATED that shit. Then it happened in Skyrim also :scared: Hopefully there is no Vampirism in Starfield 😂