Switch imo is more successful than PS2

On-topic: It’s the best first party output Nintendo has ever had. And it is because they don’t have a separate console and handheld market to support. I’ve been very pleased since I purchased mine with Mario Odyssey. 

35 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Disagree because Switch was a migration of Nintendo's 2 markets (console and handheld) into one and also because the gaming market is also significantly bigger now.

But PS2 also had the dvd angle which no doubt was a major factor in it's success.

How many platforms was Sony supporting when the PS2 was out?

If anything, this is a proper 1 to 1 comparison, and the Switch is clearly beating it.

We're not talking about the PS2 taking 3-4 years AFTER a new generation had come out for it to finally reach past 150 million.

The Switch 1 will hit 140 million next year, and that's me being conservative and saying that its only going to sell 10 million during 2024. Its probably sell another 10 million in the year or two after that, when the Switch 2 is already on the market.

6 hours ago, Goukosan said:

PSP launched less than a year before PS3. 

Nah. PSP launched a year and 8 months before PS3 came out and about two years if you live in Europe. Remember, PS3 was originally supposed to launch in 2005 and got delayed twice.

1 hour ago, lynux3 said:

Nah. PSP launched a year and 8 months before PS3 came out and about two years if you live in Europe. Remember, PS3 was originally supposed to launch in 2005 and got delayed twice.

Correct, it was less than two years most places... And PSP and PS3 were supposed to launch the same year.

13 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Disagree because Switch was a migration of Nintendo's 2 markets (console and handheld) into one and also because the gaming market is also significantly bigger now.

But PS2 also had the dvd angle which no doubt was a major factor in it's success.

The PS2 era was significantly bigger than the 80s and 90s..yet we don't factor that to disqualify the PS2 as the best selling ever. 

Let's look at software sales

PS2 has 4 games that sold over 10 million units. 

The Switch has 4 games that sold over 30 million units, 9 games that sold over 20 million and 19 that have sold over 10 million (and counting).

When it's all said and done Switch will take the crown from PS2. 

Edited by Goukosan
On 2023-08-09 at 10:02 AM, Goukosan said:

The PS2 era was significantly bigger than the 80s and 90s..yet we don't factor that to disqualify the PS2 as the best selling ever. 

Let's look at software sales

PS2 has 4 games that sold over 10 million units. 

The Switch has 4 games that sold over 30 million units, 9 games that sold over 20 million and 19 that have sold over 10 million (and counting).

When it's all said and done Switch will take the crown from PS2. 

The world overall is wealthier than it was in the early-mid 2000s, especially Asia, so more people can afford more games nowadays than before. The video game market is overall much bigger now too.

The switch does have a shot at passing it in the near future, all things considered.

The retarded fuck with his communist education probably doesn’t get the ideals of capitalism and how the ps2 which sold tens of millions more than the switch is still the GOAT. 

“Less is more comrade!”. No. No it isn’t. Switch arguably won last gen but the PS2 wrote the rulebook on modern successful games console and made a template for Sony to continue to pretty much the PS5 with. You couldn’t remake the switch 4 more times with better hardware and expect the same results. 

On 2023-08-08 at 7:32 PM, Ike said:

On-topic: It’s the best first party output Nintendo has ever had. And it is because they don’t have a separate console and handheld market to support. I’ve been very pleased since I purchased mine with Mario Odyssey. 

I agree this is true (indisputably true post-n64), and it's still not close that PS2 had the better library. 3 GTAs in one generation is almost enough on its own and those aren't even my favorite PS2 games.