Baldurs Gate Discussion |OT|

Im 6 hours in. Im not sure how I feel about the combat, I feel like its challenge comes from the fact that there's just soooooo many mechanics and things you have to take into consideration during battle. And the amount of spells available right from the start is just too much.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So i get to this boss battle and i lost two times. Ok my spell slots were low ill go to camp, rest up and come back for the win. Well, i was in a danger zone and cant go to camp.  Also couldnt jump ba

I just reached level 5 and im pretty familiar with how everything works now and i got some bad ass spells. Im about 20 hours into the game. Its amazing. I feel like im at the point where act 1 co

Big battle, in the midst of things ---- LEVEL 12. I GOT THERE BO........ ***UNEXPECTED ERROR GODLURS GATE NEEDS TO STOP****    First crash in 75 hours of the game. Patch 1 putting in work 

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Im 6 hours in. Im not sure how I feel about the combat, I feel like its challenge comes from the fact that there's just soooooo many mechanics and things you have to take into consideration during battle. And the amount of spells available right from the start is just too much.

I was pretty meh about the combat at first but as it opened up a LOT i do quite enjoy it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

I was pretty meh about the combat at first but as it opened up a LOT i do quite enjoy it.

Of course, because you realize it's not the amount of anything you have... it's how well you exploit what works in any given situation.. and in this game there can be a lot of different situations.  Sometimes you might want to lure a group of enemies together and ambush them with AOE attacks/spells.. other times you want to split them apart and take them on one by one.  Sometimes you need to properly prepare and buff yourself to negate their strengths...

Once you stop thinking about having to take things into consideration and know in general how the game can work with you or against you... your choices open up and you're able to deal with things more effectively.  You start to hone in on what your characters are good at and what they aren't.. and you can strategize in that way.

11 minutes ago, Remij said:

Of course, because you realize it's not the amount of anything you have... it's how well you exploit what works in any given situation.. and in this game there can be a lot of different situations.  Sometimes you might want to lure a group of enemies together and ambush them with AOE attacks/spells.. other times you want to split them apart and take them on one by one.  Sometimes you need to properly prepare and buff yourself to negate their strengths...

Once you stop thinking about having to take things into consideration and know in general how the game can work with you or against you... your choices open up and you're able to deal with things more effectively.  You start to hone in on what your characters are good at and what they aren't.. and you can strategize in that way.

Yeah there is a ton of different ways to handle a situation. I was struggling on one part where a fuck ton of enemies just mobbed me and i couldnt do shit i was getting slapped. The next battle i just turned on shadowhearts spirit circle, gales fire shield and dropped some daggers and POOF framerate chugged to like 10fps from how many enemies died at once :rofls:

Early on i was just shooting magic missles at everyone and hoping for the best LOL

• Haha 2

I just found a circus and as i was about to go in the ghoul said i smelled like cheese so the guy changed his mind and said i wasnt allowed in. Luckily i hit him with some charm and persuasion like a boss. Now im off to see Mr Dribbles the clown :juggle: 

Level 9 😭 I just got a locust plague spell and telekinesis. I cant wait to see those fuckers that kicked me off a cliff earlier and toss they ass thru a swarm of locust off a mountain to they DEATH  :juggle:

• Upvote 1
  • aitch 1

Im a few hours into Act 3, and yeah...the performance is not good. The game doesnt seem to be maxing out my gpu or cpu either, the framerate is just all over tho. Ended up locking to 30 and maxing settings and bumping to 1440p. Outside of Act 1 it was never a stable 60 anyway.

Act 3 so far is a huge change of pace. Not many fights so far. Lots of exploring the city, doing side quests etc. Some fun ones too. Most dialogue heavy games i tend to skip thru a lot of the text. I dont think ive skipped a line in this game. Im so interested in all of it.

GOTF

I know i probably missed a lot too but my in-game save is 50 hours. I dont see this being 100 plus hours for me, at least. I have been doing everything i can so the stuff i miss was not intentional. Steam says 60 hours but that includes idle time.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

Im a few hours into Act 3, and yeah...the performance is not good. The game doesnt seem to be maxing out my gpu or cpu either, the framerate is just all over tho. Ended up locking to 30 and maxing settings and bumping to 1440p. Outside of Act 1 it was never a stable 60 anyway.

Act 3 so far is a huge change of pace. Not many fights so far. Lots of exploring the city, doing side quests etc. Some fun ones too. Most dialogue heavy games i tend to skip thru a lot of the text. I dont think ive skipped a line in this game. Im so interested in all of it.

GOTF

I know i probably missed a lot too but my in-game save is 50 hours. I dont see this being 100 plus hours for me, at least. I have been doing everything i can so the stuff i miss was not intentional. Steam says 60 hours but that includes idle time.

yeah, it's weird. i've been reading about framerate issues, even though gpu/cpu aren't being maxed. it appears it was rushed out. i'm sure a patch will eventually fix it.

Im sure improvements will be made but i dont see this ever being a game that just runs perfect. Its so big and complex. Im curious to see how the PS5 handles it. Im sure they could do 4k30 pretty easily. Interested to see how 60fps mode will work out, especially in act3. 

7 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

Im sure improvements will be made but i dont see this ever being a game that just runs perfect. Its so big and complex. Im curious to see how the PS5 handles it. Im sure they could do 4k30 pretty easily. Interested to see how 60fps mode will work out, especially in act3. 

no clue. maybe 1080/60.

8 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

no clue. maybe 1080/60.

I think it could do more than that.

Side not i just realized you can make the input method controller only :9: Every time i alt tabbed or booted the game, loaded a save i had to wait 20 seconds for the game to recognize the controller. Now. Now.......NOW i see i dont have to do that😭 After 50 damn hours :mindblown:

• Haha 1

Fun game. Lightning magic with Create Water absolutely fucks everything up. ACT III you basically become a god in terms of player power.

Interesting story and cool characters also, IMO.

9/10. 

Edited by Substatic
  • Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, JonDnD said:

I think it could do more than that.

Side not i just realized you can make the input method controller only :9: Every time i alt tabbed or booted the game, loaded a save i had to wait 20 seconds for the game to recognize the controller. Now. Now.......NOW i see i dont have to do that😭 After 50 damn hours :mindblown:

i'm glad the game is closer to 50/60 hours than 100. i will definitely check it out.

12 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

i'm glad the game is closer to 50/60 hours than 100. i will definitely check it out.

Idk how long act 3 is compared to the others but im assuming 75 to 80 hours sounds about right. Unless act 3 is much longer than the others.

3 hours ago, JonDnD said:

Idk how long act 3 is compared to the others but im assuming 75 to 80 hours sounds about right. Unless act 3 is much longer than the others.

It's supposed to be longer than Act 2. 

• dead 1
4 hours ago, -GD-X said:

From what I heard if you just focus on the main story it can be beaten in ~40 hours.

However the side content is a big part of the game so thats probably not the ideal way to play it.

• aitch 1
42 minutes ago, Remij said:

It's supposed to be longer than Act 2. 

I feel act 2 was shorter than one. I can see that tho. I think i only had 2 fights so far in act 3 and ive played 3+ hours. Lots of RPGing in act 3.

• aitch 1