The Official "What Are You Playing?" Thread (Post Screens)

I think im gonna cop SMTV. I get easily frustrated by hard games nowadays but if I hit a wall or get annoyed im just gonna drop the difficulty level. Im no longer at the point where I need to feel like I have to play games on normal or hard in order to maintain my Gam3r cred or dignity, forget that.

• Replies 25.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -GD-X

• Twinblade

• soup

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I won't be playing anything for months or close to a year probably, stuck in bumfuck nowhere Montenegro in the middle of endless mountains, imagine Rocky IV's training location without the snow (yet)

The amount of shit going on in Control during fights is next level compared to anything else ive seen.   I also started playing Witcher 3 again. Damn this game is fucking awesome. It still l

since we are on the subject of boobs and a tiny waist, i found this lovely gif

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I think im gonna cop SMTV. I get easily frustrated by hard games nowadays but if I hit a wall or get annoyed im just gonna drop the difficulty level. Im no longer at the point where I need to feel like I have to play games on normal or hard in order to maintain my Gam3r cred or dignity, forget that.

how is the story with those games?

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

how is the story with those games?

4's was good and felt very reminiscent of Persona in many ways. However story and characters are apparently not as much of a focus in 5, which is one thing (besides the difficulty) that has put me off of checking it out.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

4's was good and felt very reminiscent of Persona in many ways. However story and characters are apparently not as much of a focus in 5, which is one thing (besides the difficulty) that has put me off of checking it out.

do they at least play the same? i actually love persona's combat.

Just now, Hot Sauce said:

Steam should keep it up to date, but I'm not sure.

the patch apparently made a big difference, but imo the AI was still wonky. it was more about the sick mechanics, level design and overall vibe for me.

@-GD-X Im 2 hours into SMT5. You quickly learn that this game doesn't fuck around :ben: I was careless in an early fight and a regular enemy killed my MC in 2 hits, which immediately resulted in a game over. And unlike Persona you get no options to retry the battle or restart just before it, it just boots you back to the main menu and you have to load your last save.

Also, you have to spend the in-game currency to restore your HP/MP at save points which is a bit much.

Other than that its what you'd expect from Persona/SMT in terms of gameplay. The 2 new main systems here are the Miracles, which are passive upgrades/abilities that you can unlock as you gain a new currency called Glory. The other is the Essence Fusion, which seems like its going to be very deep. It basically allows you to combine your demon's abilities with each other without actually needing to fuse them which is how you'd normally get that same effect.

The story so far is pretty slow but it does have an interesting start. I think the low point so far is actually the visuals and the framerate. It straight up looks like a OG xbox game, and seems to consistently run between 25-30 FPS (have only played docked so far, might be even worse in handheld mode).

• Sad 1
30 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

@-GD-X Im 2 hours into SMT5. You quickly learn that this game doesn't fuck around :ben: I was careless in an early fight and a regular enemy killed my MC in 2 hits, which immediately resulted in a game over. And unlike Persona you get no options to retry the battle or restart just before it, it just boots you back to the main menu and you have to load your last save.

Also, you have to spend the in-game currency to restore your HP/MP at save points which is a bit much.

Other than that its what you'd expect from Persona/SMT in terms of gameplay. The 2 new main systems here are the Miracles, which are passive upgrades/abilities that you can unlock as you gain a new currency called Glory. The other is the Essence Fusion, which seems like its going to be very deep. It basically allows you to combine your demon's abilities with each other without actually needing to fuse them which is how you'd normally get that same effect.

The story so far is pretty slow but it does have an interesting start. I think the low point so far is actually the visuals and the framerate. It straight up looks like a OG xbox game, and seems to consistently run between 25-30 FPS (have only played docked so far, might be even worse in handheld mode).

yikes. it doesn't sound like it's for me. thanks for the mini review. i will start up sherlock this weekend :smoke:

10 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

yikes. it doesn't sound like it's for me. thanks for the mini review. i will start up sherlock this weekend :smoke:

I think you would like the core gameplay. Also theres a difficulty setting that removes the game over conditions. I might try it if i end up getting frustrated

Shin Megami Tensei V features day one DLC, including the free addition of Safety Mode. This difficulty setting is described as helpful for RPG beginners to get them through the game’s story “safely and comfortably.” This mode may allow players to not lose their progress even when their party has been defeated, similar to other “safety”-oriented modes in past Atlus games, like the Etrian Odyssey series’ Picnic Mode.

• Upvote 1
Just now, Twinblade said:

I think you would like the core gameplay. Also theres a difficulty setting that removes the game over conditions. I might try it if i end up getting frustrated

oh hell yeah. i can't handle a crazy challenge right now. now we're talking!

Is the "solution" to Deathloop as rigid as it's starting to appear to be? Was hoping there'd be some strategy and puzzle solving, but it seems like everything is just handed to you as you follow the leads.

49 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Is the "solution" to Deathloop as rigid as it's starting to appear to be? Was hoping there'd be some strategy and puzzle solving, but it seems like everything is just handed to you as you follow the leads.

Pretty much, but I actually liked the streamlined approach it has. There would be too much repetition if you had to piece together everything yourself without the game guiding you.

9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Pretty much, but I actually liked the streamlined approach it has. There would be too much repetition if you had to piece together everything yourself without the game guiding you.

Agreed. 

18 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I'm not saying piece everything together yourself, but if there's only one way to kill all the visionaries in a single day that would be pretty disappointing. 

14 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I'm not saying piece everything together yourself, but if there's only one way to kill all the visionaries in a single day that would be pretty disappointing. 

You’ll be disappointed then. I liked the accessibility, but I can see more hardcore gamers finding that aspect too easy. 

4 hours ago, -GD-X said:

You’ll be disappointed then. I liked the accessibility, but I can see more hardcore gamers finding that aspect too easy. 

I don't mean it as a hardcore gamer thing. You just start seeing all the dominoes coming together and it feels very Hitman-esque, so having the end-game being linear when the middle section of the game feels so open and rife with possibilities takes a bit of wind out of my sails.

I still love the game, don't get me wrong. I just thought the game was something it isn't and that's just as much on me for thinking that's where the game was going to go because if it did that it would be like GOTG contention for me. If I hadn't heard so much praise for it I probably wouldn't have that expectation, so it's not the game's fault. 

• Upvote 1