What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

4 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Everyone I know who saw it hated it, and they are all big fans of McCay (as am I) so it's gotta be bad. No wonder you like it. 

The trailer looks awful, so I’m not surprised. I love McCay and Leo and I have 0 interest. 

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

Enjoyed the Saul finale a lot. Thankful we got 14 years of this wonderful universe and brilliant creative, writing, and directing team. It was a wonderful journey. The little thanking thing with the a

Posted Images

3 hours ago, -GD-X said:

The trailer looks awful, so I’m not surprised. I love McCay and Leo and I have 0 interest. 

Yeah, I was surprised at how hard they hit the satire to the point of parody. I'm a fan of everyone involved and the concept seems fun. That trailer was just so cringe tho. 

8 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Everyone I know who saw it hated it, and they are all big fans of McCay (as am I) so it's gotta be bad. No wonder you like it. 

Did they say why? 

3 hours ago, -GD-X said:

I had no interest in it either until my parents were begging me to watch it at Christmas dinner. It's great 

2 minutes ago, Cooke said:

Did they say why? 

I didn't ask, I saw the trailer. I still was going to give it a shot, like I said I like the people behind it, but hearing it's as bad as the trailer looked was enough. 

I finally started watching Succession on Christmas, and it's satire that's so sharp it can split hairs, not going to waste two hours that when that's two eps that I can be savoring. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr. Impossible said:

I didn't ask, I saw the trailer. I still was going to give it a shot, like I said I like the people behind it, but hearing it's as bad as the trailer looked was enough. 

I finally started watching Succession on Christmas, and it's satire that's so sharp it can split hairs, not going to waste two hours that when that's two eps that I can be savoring. 

How far are you? I started 2 days ago, and I’m already almost done with season 2. It gets so fucking good! The writing and performances = :wow2:

1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

How far are you? I started 2 days ago, and I’m already almost done with season 2. It gets so fucking good! The writing and performances = :wow2:

5 eps into season 1. The intentional cringe and awkwardness overloads my Gf's mind so haven't gotten to watch as much as I'd like. She's good for maybe 2 eps before tapping out lol. 

Will binge a bit later in week. Love the show. It's like a glib Arrested Development. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Impossible said:

5 eps into season 1. The intentional cringe and awkwardness overloads my Gf's mind so haven't gotten to watch as much as I'd like. She's good for maybe 2 eps before tapping out lol. 

Will binge a bit later in week. Love the show. It's like a glib Arrested Development. 

Episode 4 was a nice turning point for me. It just gets darker, and even more cringy (in the best possible ways) as it goes on. 

• Like 1

There's something about Adam McKay's comedy that seems way too smug, and I can pinpoint the very moment I realized it, and it was actually a long time ago.

If you listen to the director's commentary to, I swear to God I'm not kidding...........Talledega Nights.

He starts talking doing a version of Will Ferrell comedy in which he's bullshitin' about something, and he never stops and he just keeps on trying to keep the bullshit going, except Will Ferrell knows the proper cutoff point. And Adam McKay doesn't.

I couldn't get more than 2-3 minutes into the director's commentary of Talledega Nights before I turned it off, and I immediately thought to myself "I don't like this guy."

Never saw The Big Short, because quite frankly I saw Margin Call and I pleaded with everyone I know to watch that movie.  I saw Vice, and it feels like it doesn't know what type of movie it wants to be. And Christian Bale talking directly to the screen at the end feels like they couldn't get the message that they wanted to audience to learn through storytelling, so they had to stop the movie and just directly tell it to you at the end.

Haven't got into Succession yet. I'll eventually watch Don't Look Up, but it just feels like he's being to blunt and on-the-nose about everything, that its a turn-off.

I don't have a problem with films that are judgemental towards several groups of people, as long as they properly explain WHY those people behave in ways that are detrimental.

The trailers make it seem like all of those people who aren't grasping the scientists are that way because they are "bad" people, or "selfish" people, or "stupid" people without going much deeper into that.

This is interesting:

‘The Matrix Resurrections’ Would Have Moved On Without Lana Wachowski If She Didn’t Volunteer To Direct

In a recent interview with Collider, Resurrections producer James McTeigue admits that WB had plans to assign a different director. McTeigue has worked on all the Matrix films and stated that the “money making capability” of a fourth Matrix film meant there was “always talk.” However, when Lana Wachowski jumped at the chance to direct, the studio quickly said yes, it just made sense to have the original director on board.

“Look. I think when you’ve had a franchise with that much potential money making capability, there’s always talk. It’s in the same way that the Marvel universe repeats and turns in on itself, or you have Spider-Man, or you have Iron Man, or Thor,” said McTeigue. “There’s always potential to update those movies just because of the possibility of making the money and telling new stories. I shouldn’t say it’s just a purely fiscal thought. But yeah, look, there was versions out there, but they hadn’t landed on the right version. So when Lana eventually came back around and said, “Look. I’m interested in making another movie,” of course, they went with the filmmaker who was the genesis of the Matrix.

Since the release of The Matrix Resurrections in theaters and on HBO Max, the critical and fan reception has been mixed. Despite this, WB wants to keep the franchise going with a fifth movie and they want Lana Wachowski to return as confirmed by the studio’s CEO Ann Sarnoff.

So they were going to churn out Matrix movies, no matter what. And they apparently expect to make more.

5 hours ago, jehurey said:

This is interesting:

‘The Matrix Resurrections’ Would Have Moved On Without Lana Wachowski If She Didn’t Volunteer To Direct

In a recent interview with Collider, Resurrections producer James McTeigue admits that WB had plans to assign a different director. McTeigue has worked on all the Matrix films and stated that the “money making capability” of a fourth Matrix film meant there was “always talk.” However, when Lana Wachowski jumped at the chance to direct, the studio quickly said yes, it just made sense to have the original director on board.

“Look. I think when you’ve had a franchise with that much potential money making capability, there’s always talk. It’s in the same way that the Marvel universe repeats and turns in on itself, or you have Spider-Man, or you have Iron Man, or Thor,” said McTeigue. “There’s always potential to update those movies just because of the possibility of making the money and telling new stories. I shouldn’t say it’s just a purely fiscal thought. But yeah, look, there was versions out there, but they hadn’t landed on the right version. So when Lana eventually came back around and said, “Look. I’m interested in making another movie,” of course, they went with the filmmaker who was the genesis of the Matrix.

Since the release of The Matrix Resurrections in theaters and on HBO Max, the critical and fan reception has been mixed. Despite this, WB wants to keep the franchise going with a fifth movie and they want Lana Wachowski to return as confirmed by the studio’s CEO Ann Sarnoff.

So they were going to churn out Matrix movies, no matter what. And they apparently expect to make more.

I mean they basically said it during the movie. Like I said, meta AF. 

I just got done watching the movie.

You guys are fucking wrong.

Simple as that.  We're talking about franchises that are coming back after twenty years, this movie absolutely meets modest expectations.

This movie is actually TRYING, unlike all of the other attempts.

The complaints about its lack of action are only somewhat valid, but at the end of the day, you guys are asking to be given dumb-action scenes instead of exposition.

The movie gives alot of exposition to chew on. And the final sequence feels so much better and cooler than what was happening in Matrix Revolutions. The entire Matrix was turning against Neo and Trinity and it was fucking awesome. It felt like an entire video game open-world breaking.

I love that crew better than all of those other people in the original trilogy.

My only complaint is that, with a few changes to the story, they could've made something very, VERY close to having an Abre los ojos/Vanilla Skye/Inception type of ending. If they had done that, it would've been a legitimately great movie in its own right.

They could have been soooo much more lazier with the material. But they actually tried to move the story foward, and I think they succeeded enough.

6 hours ago, Mr. Impossible said:

Lol you are such a snake. Like how did you even draw the conclusion that I was saying any of the sequels were better than the original? 

So then you agree with my statement. The 4th is the worst and the 1st and the best. Stop being a twat.