So I decided to start collecting LaserDisc movies

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you want DVD-like quality..............but worse, because Laserdisc is not a true digital format like DVD, its still analog. And it doesn't even get to DVD's 720 x 480 resolution, instead only bein

He's probably just pissed because my LaserDisc's from 1978 are higher resolution than his Switch games 

You really just love flops eh?

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Got another 85 movies today, ordered Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies, this shit is so inexpensive it's ridiculous. I'm up to like 147 movies already and I've only spent $120.

:grimaceleft:

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Got another 85 movies today, ordered Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies, this shit is so inexpensive it's ridiculous. I'm up to like 147 movies already and I've only spent $120.

What's the quality of these movies are like? Somewhere in between VHS and DVD?

42 minutes ago, Ramza said:

iirc; It's like sub-DVD image quality, but superior audio quality - albeit switching the sides is required if you don't have an appropriate player.

2 hours ago, Ramza said:

The best way I could put it is like this in terms of video quality.

VHS--Betamax----------LaserDisc---DVD

The audio quality is superior in a lot of instances to even DVD though, also LaserDisc had high definition back in 1993 via Hi-Vision players with a muse decoder, they did 1080i but you needed Hi-Vision discs. They're like $300-$500 for the movies now and the players are $1,500-$2,500. Hi-Vision was like the rich, rich platform.

One of the most impressive things is the LD platform has existed since 1978 which a lot of people don't realize. People think that VHS killed it, it didn't, LaserDisc didn't die out until four years into DVD's lifespan and even then Pioneer manufactured a dual DVD/LD player until 2009. The platform existed as an upper echelon niche, it accounted for like 5-10% of the market during VHS but the people who generally had it were a more well off crowd or those seriously into home theater.

One other thing that LD still has an advantage in is playback options, with CAV discs you can play out perfect slow motion at up to 1/16 both forward and backward and you can view the film literally frame by frame, like 24 full freeze frames that you would see in a second of playback. To add to this there's many movies that are available on LaserDisc that not only were never brought over the DVD from LD or VHS, but they also never made there way to Blu-Ray either so this is the best way to view them. 

Obviously there's some artifacts and fuzziness to the picture itself and it's a JPEG but you get the idea. This in 1981 when Indiana Jones came out is fucking crazy, the newer movies look even better, the Phantom Menace press supposedly has superior image quality to the DVD. 

32847402718_5c87a5b2df_o.jpg

LOL you bought CROPPED copies of movies.

Fucking Pan & Scan?  Oh my god, anybody who's remotely a film-buff knows that you choose Letterbox over Pan & Scan.

And it also looks like there's signs of cross-talk in your picture. Expect that to get worse.

Edited by jehurey
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

LOL you bought CROPPED copies of movies.

Fucking Pan & Scan?  Oh my god, anybody who's remotely a film-buff knows that you choose Letterbox over Pan & Scan.

And it also looks like there's signs of cross-talk in your picture. Expect that to get worse.

I bought tons of movies in bulk, it's a mix of everything. There's no cross-talk.

11 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I bought tons of movies in bulk, it's a mix of everything. There's no cross-talk.

"artifacts" and fuzziness, as you just typed in your previous post, especially in the horizontal lines are signs of disc-rot and disc-warp.

If you're buying laserdiscs at unbelievably cheap prices, then you are getting the crappier versions of major movies.

Just now, jehurey said:

"artifacts" and fuzziness, as you just typed in your previous post, especially in the horizontal lines are signs of disc-rot and disc-warp.

If you're buying laserdiscs at unbelievably cheap prices, then you are getting the crappier versions of major movies.

The fuzziness and artifacts are in relation to the picture from the camera in the dark, not the image on screen, it has poor ISO handling as do most cameras in the dark. There is no laser rot, there is no cross-talk, none of the discs are warped, and most are widescreen or letterbox. I just so happen to be watching Raiders of the Lost Ark at the time in its original release form.

I'm getting these for cheap prices not because of their quality or anything to do with damage, it's because they are intrinsically cheap and most people who still have them don't want them. 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The fuzziness and artifacts are in relation to the picture from the camera in the dark, not the image on screen, it has poor ISO handling as do most cameras in the dark. There is no laser rot, there is no cross-talk, none of the discs are warped, and most are widescreen or letterbox. I just so happen to be watching Raiders of the Lost Ark at the time in its original release form.

I'm getting these for cheap prices not because of their quality or anything to do with damage, it's because they are intrinsically cheap and most people who still have them don't want them. 

"original release form"

You bought a Pan & Scan version. Its fucking embarassing, and a film-buff would rather watch the version on TBS than that. LOL

Just now, jehurey said:

"original release form"

You bought a Pan & Scan version. Its fucking embarassing, and a film-buff would rather watch the version on TBS than that. LOL

Its first release version was Pan & Scan, the WS and LB versions came in 1984. Either way you're being a fucking faggot for god knows what reason, I mean you are Jerry. 

I paid like $0.80 for this movie, dumbshit. 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Its first release version was Pan & Scan, the WS and LB versions came in 1984. Either way you're being a fucking faggot for god knows what reason, I mean you are Jerry. 

I paid like $0.80 for this movie, dumbshit. 

You paid $.80 for a movie that is worthless.

And that was your BEST EXAMPLE.........think about that. LOL  I almost want to make fun of you into spending more money to find those other versions.  I want to build the hype up in your moronic head that its going to be cool, and start spending the money.

Edited by jehurey
1 minute ago, jehurey said:

You paid $.80 for a movie that is worthless.

And that was your BEST EXAMPLE.........think about that. LOL  I almost want to make fun of you into spending more money to find those other versions.  I want to build the hype up in your moronic head that its going to be cool, and start spending the money.

You're a fucking faggot lol, like what is your motivation to come in here and be this much of a smug loser acting all pretentious because I bought a movie...

Like holy shit, literally kill yourself you worthless piece of shit :camby:

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You're a fucking faggot lol, like what is your motivation to come in here and be this much of a smug loser acting all pretentious because I bought a movie...

Like holy shit, literally kill yourself you worthless piece of shit :camby:

LOL says the person watching a Pan & Scan version of Indiana Jones on a 20 inch tube television :tom:

You kinda lost that claim before you made it. Talk about getting GOTTEN to.