Sony Japan R&D Powerful 'Prototype' PlayStation Portable Device

• Designed to compete in the Japanese market which heavily favored gaming on the go

• Compatible with select PS3/PS Vita titles, all PS4 titles and future PS5 titles

• 128GB in-built storage

• Device to use cutting edge compression techniques which allows the device to store a portion of the game into its available memory, no streaming required. The device then downloads game levels in the background for uninterrupted  play and deletes levels already beaten. Apparently the device has some sort of smart AI where predictive storage options that you can turn on or off.  Fully realised open world games might be problematic but rumor suggests Sony are close to finding a solution.

• Device is also rumored to feature virtually lag free streaming tech in the form of a custom chip that allows huge chunks of game data to be downloaded or transferred to the device natively

• Device can be plugged directly into a HDMI HD or UHD panel so a PS5 purchase would not be necessary.

Sounds a bit of a stretch but you would think Sony got to be  doing something for the dwindling console market in Japan or risk losing the huge Japanese developer support they currently enjoy :wonder:

Edited by Pureis

It makes sense.  I've been saying it for months.  If Sony made a hybrid, they'd curb stomp next generation into the ground because developers would just give them the benefit of the doubt.  I'd be interested to see their answer to the joycons, though.  That's a big one.

15 minutes ago, McWicked said:

It makes sense.  I've been saying it for months.  If Sony made a hybrid, they'd curb stomp next generation into the ground because developers would just give them the benefit of the doubt.  I'd be interested to see their answer to the joycons, though.  That's a big one.

they may explore a hybrid, but this rumor says it will play PS5 games.. lol

Just now, Goukosan said:

they may explore a hybrid, but this rumor says it will play PS5 games.. lol

It's not much of a stretch in my imagination.  Sony could make a hybrid capable of playing PS4-Pro level games.  At that point I can't imagine down-porting PS5 games would be that big of an issue.

'Course it'd probably cost $4-500, but it's not like Sony hasn't pulled that act before.

1 hour ago, McWicked said:

It's not much of a stretch in my imagination.  Sony could make a hybrid capable of playing PS4-Pro level games.  At that point I can't imagine down-porting PS5 games would be that big of an issue.

'Course it'd probably cost $4-500, but it's not like Sony hasn't pulled that act before.

It's not much of a stretch? The PS4 Slim is 180.98 cubic inches and the Pro is 326.73 cubic inches in pure volume.

Just as a point of reference the Switch which is huge for a handheld is just a mere 17.68 cubic inches. This whole thing is a bunch of bullshit.

Wait a minute, it doesn't go into any detail about its processing power.

It has to process the "levels" that its downloading onto its storage, right?  By why are they downloading a video game in portions to begin with? Why wouldn't they just sell digital copies of games, download the entire disc image and run them off of the handheld's CPU/GPU processor?

And most importantly, unless they have fantastic tools between the existing PS4 and this device's processors, it has to be using AMD hardware in order to play these PS4 games. What GPU could they possibly have that would allow to play PS4 games in a handheld?

The fact that it can play PS3 and PS5 games, makes me think this is primarily a streaming handheld. This sounds fishy.

6 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's not much of a stretch? The PS4 Slim is 180.98 cubic inches and the Pro is 326.73 cubic inches in pure volume.

Just as a point of reference the Switch which is huge for a handheld is just a mere 17.68 cubic inches. This whole thing is a bunch of bullshit.

You're right.  No technology has ever shrunk as it is advanced.  Silly me, I'm posting from a computer the size of my garage.

Since I know that flew over your head, I'm currently playing on a handheld system that's more powerful than the PS3, 360, and Wii U.  It's not crazy to think that next gen there could be a hand held system on the same level as PS4.  It's only happened, what...every single goddamned generation?

GBA -> SNES

DS -> N64

PSP/3DS -> PS2

Switch -> PS3/360

Next Handheld -> PS4/Xbone <--- this is what you're saying can't happen. :] 

Edited by McWicked
1 hour ago, McWicked said:

You're right.  No technology has ever shrunk as it is advanced.  Silly me, I'm posting from a computer the size of my garage.

Since I know that flew over your head, I'm currently playing on a handheld system that's more powerful than the PS3, 360, and Wii U.  It's not crazy to think that next gen there could be a hand held system on the same level as PS4.  It's only happened, what...every single goddamned generation?

GBA -> SNES

DS -> N64

PSP/3DS -> PS2

Switch -> PS3/360

Next Handheld -> PS4/Xbone <--- this is what you're saying can't happen. :] 

It is when you account for architecture you know it fuck...

6 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It is when you account for architecture you know it fuck...

Are you suggesting architecture doesn't change with advances in tech? :] 

EDIT: And you pivoted away from the size of the platforms to the architecture of the platforms.  Thanks for ceding that point. :smug:

Edited by McWicked
1 minute ago, McWicked said:

Are you suggesting architecture doesn't change with advances in tech? :] 

EDIT: And you pivoted away from the size of the platforms to the architecture of the platforms.  Thanks for ceding that point. :smug:

The size is directly related to the architecture, and the architecture is directly related to the compatibility. It would have to be an x86 device and there's no way that kind of power can be that small...

:drake:

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The size is directly related to the architecture, and the architecture is directly related to the compatibility. It would have to be an x86 device and there's no way that kind of power can be that small...

So the architecture does change.  Second point ceded.

So what's the problem?  I'm starting to think that you don't actually have an issue with what i've said, but just the fact that I'm the one that said it. :really:

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

im in between the both of you.  While I agree I don't  think we're at a level where a portable can match a PS5 day 1 both launch the same year.   But the Switch while weaker than Xbox1 and PS4... is the closest a portable has gotten to a current Gen console in the modern era. 

So next gen,  if Sony wants they can probably get closer to a PS5 than how close a Switch is to Xbox1/PS4 relatively speaking. 

But the issue is.... Compatibility... I don't think AMD has any mobile chips with the low power consumption needed for a parable.....and if the software is not directly compatible and they go to Nvidia for the hardware.... now you're asking devs to make two versions of one game for the PlayStation family (PS5 and develop a separate version for PS5 portable)