The gender pay gap

Here, i'll even save you reading time

My research suggests that firms in cities are becoming more productive by hiring more women, but the exact mechanism is unclear. Women may increase the competitiveness of labor markets, giving firms the option to choose from a bigger, more qualified pool of applicants. They may also be providing firms with a unique set of skills and perspectives that men do not provide. Women’s inclusion in these office spaces may help firms better represent their customers and understand their customer’s needs, as women now make the vast majority of household decisions and control the lion’s share of consumer spending.

However, the female labor force participation rate in the U.S. has been stagnating since 2000. It peaked in 1999 at 60%, but has since declined to about 57%. This trend is in stark contrast to other OECD countries where women’s labor force participation has continued to grow. This suggests that women’s attitudes about work are changing, perhaps as women in the U.S. find it increasingly difficult to balance both work and family. Paid parental leave policies, affordable child care policies, and more flexible work schedules may help more women stay in the labor force during and after their childbearing years.

Our data show that at the start of their careers, men and women tend to work at similar job levels, most often entering the workforce at the individual contributor level: 72 percent of men and 74 percent of women in the age group 20-29 are in individual contributor roles.

This figure represents the uncontrolled –or “raw” — gender pay gap, which looks at the median salary for all men and women regardless of job type or worker seniority.

Over the course of their career, men move into higher level roles at significantly higher rates than women. By mid-career, men are 70 percent more likely to be in executive roles than women. By late career, men are 142 percent more likely to be in VP or C-suite roles.

On the flip side, women are more likely than men to remain in individual contributor positions over the course of their careers. By mid career, 60 percent of women are in individual contributor positions vs. 52 percent of men. By late career, 59 percent of women are in still individual contributor positions vs. 43 percent of men.

What’s more, the gender pay gap only grows for women who manage to rise to the highest levels of career achievement. While the controlled gender wage gap starts at 98.3 cents for individual contributors, it widens to 94.4 cents for executives. In other words, pay equity is not the only issue facing women as they advance in their careers.

The Physician Compensation Report released by Doximity in March found that in 2017, the gender pay gap between male and female doctors actually increased. Female doctors earned 27.7 percent less, or $105,000 less, than their male counterparts. The disparity in 2016 was 26.5 percent, when female doctors earned $91,284 less. There was no medical specialty in which women earned more than men.

Capture.PNG.398ca598e0ad9ea7fdc28f43eb58d0b5.PNG

Finally, Figure 3 shows the widest gender earnings gap for male and female earnings across 15 years for the broadest definition of the labor force, including the years in which they have zero earnings in the calculation. This calculation provides the most comprehensive measure of the rewards from working—in essence, the total pay women earn across 15 years relative to that of men. In the most recent 15-year time period, women earned a total of $341,280, whereas men earned twice as much at $697,410

http://iwpr.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/C474_IWPR-Still-a-Mans-Labor-Market-update-2018-1.pdf

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why was he mansplaining her?

I literally posted links and then quoted from them the reasons why. You scrolled pass the answers to write the very questions they do answer

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

It all boils down to men and women making different choices. Women should not be paid the same for a day's work if they decide to work 2 hours less than a man. It sounds like they are asking to be paid more per hour than men.. lol 

Women are more highly educated than men so it wouldnt be far fetched to ask to be paid more. Studies show however women don't ask nor get pay raises compared to men

also "decide to work less" is a funny way of framing maternity leave considering mahls get the feemahls pregnant

Just now, dakur said:

Yeah but then the problem is to look into why women are choosing less paid positions or less work. Does it has something to do with their condition as women, maybe decisions of motherhood or whatever? There's an approach to the problem that could be useful to find solutions but not trying to pass as if women are getting less paid for the same amount of work because that has been debunked continually I think.

Well i think the reason for this is the type of brain men and women have.. Men tend to choose riskier high profit jobs while women lean towards care and education (considerably less dangerous). It should really come down to if you are happy doing what you are doing then do it. The focus on pay is silly, If you want a higher paying job then go for it! nothing is stopping a woman from doing so other than herself. We live in a very liberal society, its extremely fair, everyone has an opportunity to succeed if they have the will. 

2 minutes ago, zwarior said:

Women are more highly educated than men so it wouldnt be far fetched to ask to be paid more. Studies show however women don't ask nor get pay raises compared to men

also "decide to work less" is a funny way of framing maternity leave considering mahls get the feemahls pregnant

This is true, more women are graduation from college and university, but you also have to look at what they are studying and if it applies in the real world. Lesbian dance theory is of no use to society, the demand for someone taking this course would be quite low I would imagine. Women tend not to choose stem fields which are always in high demand. Should a preschool teacher make as much money as an engineer? Probably not. Yes both jobs are important but a teaching degree is far easier to obtain. 

And working less doesn't just mean maternity leave, women tend not to voluntarily work overtime or extra shifts compared to men. 

3 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

If you want a higher paying job then go for it! nothing is stopping a woman from doing so other than herself. We live in a very liberal society, its extremely fair, everyone has an opportunity to succeed if they have the will. 

your white straight-acting/passing cis (edit: *mahl) ignorance never ceases to amaze me

Edited by zwarior
2 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Lesbian dance theory is of no use to society

that's hilarious, and the purpose of liberal arts majors/degrees is the intelligence it provides. No Lesbians cant dance their way into CEO positions, but the discipline it instills just might. (Think of sports/athletes for example, it's a similar case)

Its easy to point to a statistic and say "hey look! men are making more money than women!" and then not dive into the reasons why. Should reasons not matter? How would we even rectify a situation where women choose to work less than men? what are we supposed to do about this? Force them to work more? Pay them more per hour? Pay men less? Outlaw overtime? What would be the answer here? 

5 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Its easy to point to a statistic and say "hey look! men are making more money than women!" and then not dive into the reasons why. Should reasons not matter? How would we even rectify a situation where women choose to work less than men? what are we supposed to do about this? Force them to work more? Pay them more per hour? Pay men less? Outlaw overtime? What would be the answer here? 

I literally posted links and then quoted from them the reasons why. You scrolled pass the answers to write the very questions they do answer

Edited by zwarior
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Quit trying to stereotype me. 

14 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Well i think the reason for this is the type of brain men and women have.. Men tend to choose riskier high profit jobs while women lean towards care and education

:] 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, McWicked said:

:] 

Oh look, a librul trying to create a "gotcha!"  You got me! My sarcastic response to zwarrior was a clear indication of my lack of knowledge on the subject of human biology and psychology. 

Just now, Cookester15 said:

Oh look, a librul trying to create a "gotcha!"  You got me! My sarcastic response to zwarrior was a clear indication of my lack of knowledge on the subject of human biology.

Didn't like me pointing that out, did ya? :cruise: 

here yall go, 5 women discussing this topic. Its not black and white, never will be. There are reasons for the gaps, some are in favor of men some are in favor of women. It will never be 100% equal because men and women are not identical beings. 

6 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

Oh look, a librul trying to create a "gotcha!"  You got me! My sarcastic response to zwarrior was a clear indication of my lack of knowledge on the subject of human biology and psychology. 

you're not wrong about the type of jobs men and women enter, it has nothing to do with their brain and saying that is worst than stereotype lol

1 minute ago, zwarior said:

you're not wrong about the type of jobs men and women enter, it has nothing to do with their brain and saying that is worst than stereotype lol

Which sex tends to be more caring and nurturing, Men or women?