I guess I wasn't paying attention but Black Panther was nominated for best picture?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

says the guy triggered by a black guy doing a cover of a rock song 

the butthurt is real. the acedemy awards are garbage imo, anyhow. if titanic and shape of water can win...then meh 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Cookester15 said:

Being most popular doesn't mean shit.  Transformers would have won best movie of the year

You're not making any sense.

You are clearly trying to insinuate that Black Panther got a Best Picture nomination simply because it was hyped as an all-black movie.

I clearly showed you other high-grossing movies that were well entertaining movies with some cultural hype, and they still got (un-deserved) Best Picture nominations as well.

Its not a two-way correlation. Big cultural blockbusters movies CAN sometimes get Best Picture nominations. it doesn't mean all highest grossing movies get Best Picture nominations.

Just now, jehurey said:

You're not making any sense.

You are clearly trying to insinuate that Black Panther got a Best Picture nomination simply because it was hyped as an all-black movie.

I clearly showed you other high-grossing movies that were well entertaining movies with some cultural hype, and they still got (un-deserved) Best Picture nominations as well.

Its not a two-way correlation. Big cultural blockbusters movies CAN sometimes get Best Picture nominations. it doesn't mean all highest grossing movies get Best Picture nominations.

So they changed what the Oscars were just for black panther and not because of political motivations? 

Oscars were supposed to be awards for "the best" not the movies that are simply blockbusters. It's the equivalent of lord of the rings winning an Oscar. That was fucking pathetic. 

3 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

So they changed what the Oscars were just for black panther and not because of political motivations? 

Oscars were supposed to be awards for "the best" not the movies that are simply blockbusters. It's the equivalent of lord of the rings winning an Oscar. That was fucking pathetic. 

Didn't I just explain how Titanic, Avatar, and Toy Story 3 got Best Picture nominations?

Do you really think trying to play dumb is working here?

What do you mean they "changed" when I have shown you proof that its ALREADY been happening for at least 10 years?

critics were basically strong-armed, even petrified, to give it anything less than a positive review. oscars same thing, they didnt want that backlash especially with #oscarssowhite being a constant criticism. everyone i think it knows its probably the most transparently unworthy nominated film since avatar, except avatar wasnt about inclusion, that was just because cameron is part of the rich old white dude fraternity.

as someone thats followed rottentomatoes closely for years, the agendas/bias/politics/shilling by critics/journalists is at an all time high.  movies like black panther, ghostbusters 2016, crazy rich asians, and soon captain marvel get pumped with higher review scores than deserved because reviews want to "support it" instead of judging its quality (i.e. agendas).

i think it was leonard maltin or someone that basically hates all superhero movies since the original superman gave black panther a positive review and said in his conclusion that "its not my place to critique it" - what the fuck? review the film you hack. ghostbusters 2016 was also pumped up by reviewers that wanted to "clap back" at trolls even though the movie was real life garbage.

part of whats infected the industry is whats long infected the game industry for a long time. remember when the games industry became such huge business that publishers/sponsors had to start controlling their message through special review events, blacklisting certain critics, or backdoor deals like the one that got jeff g fired from gs? yeah that shit is also at an all time high in the movie industry, as every other movie today is a big tentpole with huge amounts of money and jobs on the line.

the oscars have always been garbage. lots of shitty movies have been nominated and/or won. cultural phenomenons usually weasel their way to the lists. also, you get a lot of films that reek of being "woke", or socially conscious "art", aka shape of water.