Stranger Things

Deadwood

Chernobyl

The Americans

The Leftovers

Honourable mentions, or godly until a certain point:

The Office - Don't really remember it after Steve Carell left

Dexter - C'mon we all know where it went off the rails

True Detective (Season 2 is mystifyingly bad, like a post 2010 M. Night Shyamalan film)

VEEP - until Armando Ianucci left)

Game of Thrones (7th season is meh, 8th is well... I've never forgotten a show so quick)

House of Cards - kept playing on wayyyy too long

Sons of Anarchy - until they go to Ireland...

Modern Family - first few seasons are hilarious, been forgettable lately

Edited by Teh_Diplomat
1 minute ago, Optimus Jim said:

No, it doesn't. Chernobyl was a short series and it should be up there.

Chernobyl was a fantastic series, and should definitely be up there (totally omitted that one) but it ended because well how do you have a 2nd season?

The thing with something like Star Trek is it could (we'll have to wait to find out) very well be in the top part of my list, or suffer from some poor pacing, or a derivative plot and go into the 2nd tier I wrote down. You have to judge the show by the entirety of it, after all it could fall off.

2 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Chernobyl was a fantastic series, and should definitely be up there (totally omitted that one) but it ended because well how do you have a 2nd season?

The thing with something like Star Trek is it could (we'll have to wait to find out) very well be in the top part of my list, or suffer from some poor pacing, or a derivative plot and go into the 2nd tier I wrote down. You have to judge the show by the entirety of it, after all it could fall off.

Star Trek could of ended with season 2. The series didn't need to continue after that, they're just doing it because they can tell more. It ended with them destroying the enemy and now they got new frontiers they're going to introduce.

Edited by Optimus Jim
4 minutes ago, Optimus Jim said:

Star Trek could of ended with season 2. The series didn't need to continue after that, they're just doing it because they can tell more. It ended with them destroying the enemy and now they got new frontiers they're going to introduce.

My point exactly, next season they're going 1000 years into the future; as per the news from Comic Con. My point being, what if it doesn't turn out well, like say the later seasons of Game of Thrones, or Dexter, then we can't really consider it among TV's greatest shows.

Edited by Teh_Diplomat

Because of the 50th anniversary of man landing on the moon, I saw the remastered HD version of HBO's From the Earth to the Moon this week.

Its genuinely moving television. Sometimes you get tired of television that brings you down, and you want to see something that lifts you up.

This miniseries should be shown in schools to kids of all ages. Its the best type of wholesome, inspirational television.

Everybody should see the new remastered version.

what is recent memory to you?

the sopranos isn't on that list but the wire is? 1999 vs 2002? 

go fuck yourself cooke

Great lists. And ya, the sopranos should be included, if you are adding shield/wire. I think dark (German show on Netflix) is something special, quite possibly the smartest show on tv. 

Also forgot:

Atlanta

The People vs. OJ Simpson 

The Jinx 

Rick and Morty

South Park 

Parks and Rec

The Good Place 

Community 

High Maintenance

I also still need to watch The Terror season 1. 

On 2019-07-25 at 10:52 PM, Teh_Diplomat said:

My point exactly, next season they're going 1000 years into the future; as per the news from Comic Con. My point being, what if it doesn't turn out well, like say the later seasons of Game of Thrones, or Dexter, then we can't really consider it among TV's greatest shows.

Well, to me, the shows over. I'm not watching any more. It ended season 2 for me. So the show is over, in my opinion. And seeing as it ended the past year I can say it was one of the greatest shows in recent memory, which it is. :reg: