Digital Foundry - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Resolution:
- Xbox One: 1600x900 targed w/ dynamic scaling. Bottoms at 800x900
- Some volumetric elements operate at lower than native resolution
- Base PS4: 1980x1080 w/ dynamic scaling. Bottoms to 960x1080
- Xbox One X: 3840x2160 w/ dynamic scaling. Bottoms at 1920x2160
- PS4 Pro: Only console which scales both x and y axis, tops at 3840x2160p
- Temporal super sampling, filmic AA etc used to reach resolution on mid-gens.
- While Xbox gains clarity but doesn't show a monumental leap in clarity because of the filmic AA solution.

- "Frankly astonishing level of geometry ... 5X more than any previous CoD game"
- Spectral rendering praised. Light sources/ Volumetric etc also praised.
- The lower a system's resolution, the lower resolution volumetric effects which can cause 'tiling' effect on base consoles.
- Besides resolution and the knock-off effect on volumetric, other aspects have visual parity.

Performance:
- Xbox One has persistent low drops from the start of the campaign, hovering at 50.
- Xbox One also has momentarily freezes, hitches at times.
- Xbox One X also suffers drops immediately starting the campaign, but uses adaptive V-sync which can cause tearing but faster response.
- Xbox One X is the only console which uses adaptive V-Sync.
- Performance can drop to mid 40's during campaign, but no hitching like base Xbox One seen.
- XBX: 45 ~ 60 FPS window. Base Xbox 37~60 FPS window.
- XBX 120hz mode enforces V Sync, no tears and less stutters but res drops To ~1080p to 1440p.

- Base PS4 can have a ~10 FPS advantage over Base Xbox in stress areas.
- PS4 still struggles and drops but generally much better than Xbox One
- Both XBX and PS4 Pro can show IO stutters like base XBO.
- Generally PS4 Pro has a performance advantage over XBX, while XBX has advantage in clarity.

at least x still has grid and yooka baybee :hest:

Edited by Quad Damage
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cows probably weren't expecting to buy a pro that Sony labeled as a 4k machine and play games at 1080p either lol .   You can tell the cows are butthurt.  They grasp so hard .   Li

X wins 90 percent of the time.  That's a hard fact your gonna have to deal with .

I can see its hard for you lmao 

I don't see many cows talking about playing CoD ? How is it so far?

26 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Cows sure love the 1 out of every 10 games that perform better on ps4 (with a massive res drop) 

LoL

I wouldn't even get too tied up in it, they'll release performance and optimization patches so it will run all the same and look fathoms better.

I think the biggest thing people are discounting here is the fact that the Xbox One X is not scaling 4x on the base Xbox One, it's scaling 4x on the base PlayStation 4, and maintaining a better level of performance. 

1-3 patches and anything going on here will be resolved, it wouldn't surprise me if it was corrected by the end of the week. 

23 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

X wins 90 percent of the time.  That's a hard fact your gonna have to deal with .

I can see its hard for you lmao 

I don't see many cows talking about playing CoD ? How is it so far?

x wins visuals + performance 50-60% of the time.

its late 2019 and its still losing 1 of the 2 categories in the biggest multiplats of the year - borderlands, cod, dmc, outer worlds, sekiro, etc

thats a hard fact youre gonna have to deal with

hows grid and yooka baby? lmao

20 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I wouldn't even get too tied up in it, they'll release performance and optimization patches so it will run all the same and look fathoms better.

I think the biggest thing people are discounting here is the fact that the Xbox One X is not scaling 4x on the base Xbox One, it's scaling 4x on the base PlayStation 4, and maintaining a better level of performance. 

1-3 patches and anything going on here will be resolved, it wouldn't surprise me if it was corrected by the end of the week. 

you spent $500 for an x in 2017, to wait for patches to beat ps4 pro in late 2019 multiplats :rofls:

1 minute ago, Quad Damage said:

you spent $500 for an x in 2017, to wait for patches to beat ps4 pro in late 2019 multiplats :rofls:

You know all those games you listed? Yeah, they probably all run better on the X now while having like 80%-120% higher resolutions. 

I get games late anyway so it doesn't matter. 

7 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

x wins visuals + performance 50-60% of the time.

its late 2019 and its still losing 1 of the 2 categories in the biggest multiplats of the year - borderlands, cod, dmc, outer worlds, sekiro, etc

thats a hard fact youre gonna have to deal with

hows grid and yooka baby? lmao

And you bought none of those games lol . X wins in BL3 and dmc . Where is the TOW DF test ? 

Like I said , you can hardly never make a DF thread.  I'll let you have the 3 or 4 a year , it obviously excites you much LOL

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

You know all those games you listed? Yeah, they probably all run better on the X now while having like 80%-120% higher resolutions. 

I get games late anyway so it doesn't matter. 

"probably" - sounds legit :mj:

if you have to wait for patches to beat pro in late 2019, then x was a mistake.

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

And you bought none of those games lol . X wins in BL3 and dmc . Where is the TOW DF test ? 

Like I said , you can hardly never make a DF thread.  I'll let you have the 3 or 4 a year , it obviously excites you much LOL

not sure what my purchases/threads have to do with x having the worst performance in the biggest games of the year.

did you buy grid and yooka baby? lmao

6 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

"probably" - sounds legit :mj:

if you have to wait for patches to beat pro in late 2019, then x was a mistake.

I don't have the tools the test this shit but I know for a fact games get multiple performance addressing patches post release, it's not rocket science. 

52 minutes ago, Ike said:

Sony is the prime advertiser of this game and has a bundle with the Pro. It’s expected to be better performing in there. :]

I know that goes without saying, but it seems Acti has gone out of their way to gimp the X this time.

I really think Sony is just straight up paying to devs to make sure the Pro version has the edge. I know DoneX sold like 10 units but this is getting ridiculous.