Digital Foundry - The Outer Worlds

- View Distance: Low end CPU or 120 FPS recommended to drop setting for performance gains.
- PS4 Pro: Slightly below high but above Medium.
- XBX: Large grass is Medium, smaller grass is lower than Low. A lot of 'empty tufts' where grass should be.

- PS4 Pro: Generally consistent at 1440p w/ a few 1080p counts showing dynamic. Drops are very rare.
- Sky resolution is lower on the Pro which can cause some artifacts in the skybox.
- XBX: Native 4K in empty scenes and lowest end 1512p, with most counts between these two.
- Both Pro and X utilize UE4's temporal reconstruction but not that noticeable because of TAA and CA.

- PS4 Pro very consistent 30 FPS in dialogues but incurs minor drops moving around the over-world.
- Single drop frames happen more frequently in combat on the world, but stable at 30 indoors.
- XBX can see drops to 27 FPS during overworld combat and traversal.
- XBX "looks and plays worse here". Generally has more drops than Pro.

let’s see how dicktuckcop and jon defend worse environment detail and worse performance than pro in *another* big multiplat in 2019 :kaz:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lmao awful on consoles, and meanwhile I can keep it on high settings on my laptop w/ a 1050.

the x version isnt barren and stuttery enough, we need to go deeper 

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I just played some more of this game yesterday at 100+fps and there was no stuttering.  Either they fixed it, or that driver update did something. :blessed: 

JonBHBR :mickey: 

Yeah , sure :drake:

1 hour ago, ScaryMovies said:

Playing it for “free” (Gamepass) on OneX with better res and skybox than Pro :trump:

Gonna buy it on Switch as well :glad:

the x version isnt barren and stuttery enough, we need to go deeper :mjgrin:

• Haha 2

I don't know how I would tolerate playing this game at 30fps. Especially since I inspect almost every single square foot of terrain for loot and looking around everywhere. I use the right-stick probably more than the left-stick. I do all that stuff as quickly as possible.

30fps would be giving me headaches whipping the camera all over.

Just now, jehurey said:

I don't know how I would tolerate playing this game at 30fps. Especially since I inspect almost every single square foot of terrain for loot and looking around everywhere. I use the right-stick probably more than the left-stick. I do all that stuff as quickly as possible.

Yea.  I had just locked it to 45 before and pushed the visuals as high as possible because that stopped the stuttering I was experiencing before.  45fps locked with Gsync actually feels quite smooth.  I also had motion blur maxed out.  Made it look and move really nice.

Now though 100+fps 1620p :blessed: 

4 hours ago, Quad Damage said:

- View Distance: Low end CPU or 120 FPS recommended to drop setting for performance gains.
- PS4 Pro: Slightly below high but above Medium.
- XBX: Large grass is Medium, smaller grass is lower than Low. A lot of 'empty tufts' where grass should be.

- PS4 Pro: Generally consistent at 1440p w/ a few 1080p counts showing dynamic. Drops are very rare.
- Sky resolution is lower on the Pro which can cause some artifacts in the skybox.
- XBX: Native 4K in empty scenes and lowest end 1512p, with most counts between these two.
- Both Pro and X utilize UE4's temporal reconstruction but not that noticeable because of TAA and CA.

- PS4 Pro very consistent 30 FPS in dialogues but incurs minor drops moving around the over-world.
- Single drop frames happen more frequently in combat on the world, but stable at 30 indoors.
- XBX can see drops to 27 FPS during overworld combat and traversal.
- XBX "looks and plays worse here". Generally has more drops than Pro.

let’s see how dicktuckcop and jon defend worse environment detail and worse performance than pro in *another* big multiplat in 2019 :kaz:

:hest: lol this cow.  This is an MS exclusive isn't it?  Which means they own this franchise.  The game was a success.  The game is truly fucking amazing as well.  This is an amazing exclusive addition to MS's library.  We all know it went ton ps4 this time because of a deal prior to MS's purchase of Obsidian.  You guys aren't getting any more quality wrpg's from MS going forward. As of now this franchise is MS exclusive.  You were lucky to get this iteration of the game. 

We let the cows have a little taste of this new MS franchise.  Savor it bitches since you aint getting any more of it and you can bet there will be sequels to this one.  I can see this game becoming a gold mine for them...

This is truly the Elder Scrolls / Fallout game we've been missing for far too long.  Obsidian know their shit and they are owned by MS.

Edited by Spicalicious
1 hour ago, jehurey said:

IMO, the limited POV is a bigger factor than the fact that the game runs at 30 frames.

22 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

:hest: lol this cow.  This is an MS exclusive isn't it?  Which means they own this franchise.  The game was a success.  The game is truly fucking amazing as well.  This is an amazing exclusive addition to MS's library.  We all know it went ton ps4 this time because of a deal prior to MS's purchase of Obsidian.  You guys aren't getting any more quality wrpg's from MS going forward. As of now this franchise is MS exclusive.  You were lucky to get this iteration of the game. 

We let the cows have a little taste of this new MS franchise.  Savor it bitches since you aint getting any more of it and you can bet there will be sequels to this one.  I can see this game becoming a gold mine for them...

This is truly the Elder Scrolls / Fallout game we've been missing for far too long.  Obsidian know their shit and they are owned by MS.

:hest: this lemming. spent $500 in 2017 for sub-30 fps, downgraded environments, and worse performance than pro in 2019, for a game that looks like it belongs in 2012 :kaz: 

couldve taken that money and bought a pro, gotten actual exclusives, AAAs, and graphical showpieces that look like they belong to this gen - and had $100 left over.

you can keep your ugly unfunny talking sim set in a galaxy of captain marvel lesbians :pffft:

8 hours ago, Quad Damage said:

:hest: this lemming. spent $500 in 2017 for sub-30 fps, downgraded environments, and worse performance than pro in 2019, for a game that looks like it belongs in 2012 :kaz: 

couldve taken that money and bought a pro, gotten actual exclusives, AAAs, and graphical showpieces that look like they belong to this gen - and had $100 left over.

you can keep your ugly unfunny talking sim set in a galaxy of captain marvel lesbians :pffft:

Not sure if you've played it.  If you don't like RPG's then you probably wouldn't like this game.  If you make any claim that you enjoy RPG's then this is a huge loss for you.  The PS fanbase also loses since they will never see this game again on their platform..  Suck it fool :mroff:

Edited by Spicalicious

Lets see.. ..Brand new successful RPG franchise developed by Obsidian, a well known and respected developer of New Vegas has proven once again that they are capable of creating these interesting WRPG style games.  MS ultimately owns this.

What do cows do?  They create a thread dissing the Xbox One X power and graphics. :D you do realize that PS will never see this game again right? :rawf:

Edited by Spicalicious