Open world preference

Would you rather, say GTA6, have a larger world than 5... or a much smaller, more interactive world?

lets say gta6’s map would be double 5s, with similar interaction. 

or

The map is 50% the size, but every building is enterable & features some sort of damage. (Can’t be entirely or you’ll have people wiping out the entire map, some will be needed for story purposes)

If Rockstar were super ambitious (and greedy) they should make a new city in which you pay money for the initial 2 or 3 areas, and they are boroughs, probably like 10-15 square miles per each area. With alot of density.

And then Rockstar spend an entire console gen selling DLC add-ons that allow you to enter the other boroughs that are equally as dense. Assuming the game engine is designed to handle that. Or the new map is only accessible through getting on a subway system.

smaller area of course in that case.

Make stuff thats interesting and build the world around it, not make it as big as possible. thats the reason why most open world games fail because it ends up empty.

I think witcher 3 was pretty good so far, it kept me interested in exploring the whole map with side quests etc.

I can only imagine that cyberpunk will step it up a notch considering the vertical layout of the city. pretty sure there won't be a dead or empty moment in the game. :bow: 

6 minutes ago, kaz said:

smaller area of course in that case.

Make stuff thats interesting and build the world around it, not make it as big as possible. thats the reason why most open world games fail because it ends up empty.

I think witcher 3 was pretty good so far, it kept me interested in exploring the whole map with side quests etc.

I can only imagine that cyberpunk will step it up a notch considering the vertical layout of the city. pretty sure there won't be a dead or empty moment in the game. :bow: 

amen brother! :bow: 2020 is going to be nuts for gaming. 

I dont see the point of being to go into every building or room . Like what's gonna be in there? Mostly nothing of importance .

I don't feel like gtav was too big , either tho.

5 minutes ago, ghostz said:

Vertically was really opened up by BOTW, but I’m not entirely sure how it would work for a game like Gta unless you’re up on sky scrapers, but even then there’s not much verticality in cities 

That's not really what I mean by verticality. BOTW didn't really do much for it other then being able to climb up a mountain. That doesn't do anything other can have a terrain up high instead of down low. It's still a single level of level design.

Verticality is more towards having multilayered level design on top of each other. Many fps games have introduced this type of level design but open world games still a little behind. For gta it would mean buildings having underground parkings, ground levels and multi levels all explorable. Plus roofs. It would mean mountains contain not only what is on top but also possibly caves and other things throughout the differing levels of height. Would mean gun fights aren't just about shooting on streets but involve the buildings and differing levels and heights on buildings, etc. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

That's not really what I mean by verticality. BOTW didn't really do much for it other then being able to climb up a mountain. That doesn't do anything other can have a terrain up high instead of down low. It's still a single level of level design.

Verticality is more towards having multilayered level design on top of each other. Many fps games have introduced this type of level design but open world games still a little behind. For gta it would mean buildings having underground parkings, ground levels and multi levels all explorable. Plus roofs. It would mean mountains contain not only what is on top but also possibly caves and other things throughout the differing levels of height. Would mean gun fights aren't just about shooting on streets but involve the buildings and differing levels and heights on buildings, etc. 

Yeah, i think the recent Yakuza games are the perfect example of what you're referring to. Theres everything from sewers to underground tunnels to office buildings with multiple accessible floors and then the rooftops that link some of the buildings together. I wish more developers would strive to emulate that type of design - smaller but meaningful environments instead of just trying to increase terrain size for no reason whatsoever other than to satisfy the gamers who think bigger is automatically better.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah, i think the recent Yakuza games are the perfect example of what you're referring to. Theres everything from sewers to underground tunnels to office buildings with multiple accessible floors and then the rooftops that link some of the buildings together. I wish more developers would strive to emulate that type of design - smaller but meaningful environments instead of just trying to increase terrain size for no reason whatsoever other than to satisfy the gamers who think bigger is automatically better.

Yakuza is also a perfect example of just how dense you can make a small environment. So much going on in terms of gameplay systems and mini games and variety too. 

14 hours ago, JONBpc said:

I dont see the point of being to go into every building or room . Like what's gonna be in there? Mostly nothing of importance .

I don't feel like gtav was too big , either tho.

Maybe a scam system or rdr2 esque heist system of businesses (over trains) to take money from managers, find the business safe.