The Lord of the Rings: Gollum (EDGE #341, next gen)

2 hours ago, Sabo said:

This seriously isn't going to be a game where you play as Gollum, right?

Because who the fuck would want that?

That would be a hard sell for even the most die hard LOTR fans.

the way it reads from top to bottom I would imagine Gollum is the end boss. and yea nobody wants that either :D 

Edited by kaz

here are some details from resetera

it's a stealth action adventure. Sounds like Uncharted's mobility and platforming mixed with TLOU's stealth
implied there's no active combat but there is stealth, stealth kills etc. Wouldn't be surprised if this is mixed up somehow
no RPG elements. Gollum/Smeagol have been around for three hundred years, the team felt his skillset/abilities are pretty well locked in
targeting AAA animation quality. Gollum alone has hundreds of animations
seemingly has multiple paths through levels
very narrative driven. Not an open world thing or a big sandbox thing - it's more a tight, nuanced journey through a world
we will be able to engage with characters (from randos trying to escape the prison, to side characters from the novels and some series classics - unsure if we can engage with the latter)
takes place in Sauron's massive underground prison fortress, opens with Gollum trying to escape it. I forget all the names
you have to escape and survive, possibly with the help of other prisoners you encounter
Gollum's character is very important - more importantly the friction between Gollum and Smeagol, who are like two entities in the one body. They will both be talking simultaneously, arguing - and the gameplay, choices and story will reflect how the two of them are in conflict but also symbiotically supporting each other
the game has many "branching points" in the middle of gameplay where there are two options (e.g. ambush an unsuspecting orc or go past him and make a run for it) and the game has some kind of strange QTE minigame where you try to follow either what Gollum would do (predatory/animalistic) or Smeagol would do (cowardly but more human(e)). It's something akin to "drawing a card from a deck, the cards being slid around a table in front of you". This one I'm not sure about.
seems to be split into multiple chapters/acts, each with several big conflicts/tension points

Context:
The article says the game will release on "all relevant systems", according to the devs. In 2021 I believe but I might be misremembering that part. I'd imagine it's current gen as well as next gen, but they speak a bit about next gen impacting the design in some ways, so can't be sure. I'd rather it be next gen exclusive personally.
he Middle Earth IP owners were impressed that the team came to them not with An Orc Slaying Game but with A Cool Story Bro, and this fact alone got their foot in the door. But negotiations still took years
it's a bit of a departure for Daedelic but they've brought a bunch of new staff on board. The article is mostly an interview - they seem very self-assured about the game and their process

Visuals:
visually, it's a new stylistic interpretation of the universe and characters. Not based on the films or cartoons - trying to break free of the film's shackles. It's based on the literature and early post-novel illustrations, combined with modern fantasy art/styl sensibilities
tons of concept art in the article - literally no screens except very rough renders.
They aren't showing off Gollum yet, but say he's not too like the movie and is more recognisably human. Talk about how bizarre he was in the early illustrations because there was no size reference in the books - he could technically be a giant
in terms of next-gen elements, they say it's most exciting in terms of allowing the level designers to keep environments visually open and vertical - no need to funnel players into tiny spaces/roadblocks to load the next area from the HDD

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

here are some details from resetera

it's a stealth action adventure. Sounds like Uncharted's mobility and platforming mixed with TLOU's stealth
implied there's no active combat but there is stealth, stealth kills etc. Wouldn't be surprised if this is mixed up somehow
no RPG elements. Gollum/Smeagol have been around for three hundred years, the team felt his skillset/abilities are pretty well locked in
targeting AAA animation quality. Gollum alone has hundreds of animations
seemingly has multiple paths through levels
very narrative driven. Not an open world thing or a big sandbox thing - it's more a tight, nuanced journey through a world
we will be able to engage with characters (from randos trying to escape the prison, to side characters from the novels and some series classics - unsure if we can engage with the latter)
takes place in Sauron's massive underground prison fortress, opens with Gollum trying to escape it. I forget all the names
you have to escape and survive, possibly with the help of other prisoners you encounter
Gollum's character is very important - more importantly the friction between Gollum and Smeagol, who are like two entities in the one body. They will both be talking simultaneously, arguing - and the gameplay, choices and story will reflect how the two of them are in conflict but also symbiotically supporting each other
the game has many "branching points" in the middle of gameplay where there are two options (e.g. ambush an unsuspecting orc or go past him and make a run for it) and the game has some kind of strange QTE minigame where you try to follow either what Gollum would do (predatory/animalistic) or Smeagol would do (cowardly but more human(e)). It's something akin to "drawing a card from a deck, the cards being slid around a table in front of you". This one I'm not sure about.
seems to be split into multiple chapters/acts, each with several big conflicts/tension points

Context:
The article says the game will release on "all relevant systems", according to the devs. In 2021 I believe but I might be misremembering that part. I'd imagine it's current gen as well as next gen, but they speak a bit about next gen impacting the design in some ways, so can't be sure. I'd rather it be next gen exclusive personally.
he Middle Earth IP owners were impressed that the team came to them not with An Orc Slaying Game but with A Cool Story Bro, and this fact alone got their foot in the door. But negotiations still took years
it's a bit of a departure for Daedelic but they've brought a bunch of new staff on board. The article is mostly an interview - they seem very self-assured about the game and their process

Visuals:
visually, it's a new stylistic interpretation of the universe and characters. Not based on the films or cartoons - trying to break free of the film's shackles. It's based on the literature and early post-novel illustrations, combined with modern fantasy art/styl sensibilities
tons of concept art in the article - literally no screens except very rough renders.
They aren't showing off Gollum yet, but say he's not too like the movie and is more recognisably human. Talk about how bizarre he was in the early illustrations because there was no size reference in the books - he could technically be a giant
in terms of next-gen elements, they say it's most exciting in terms of allowing the level designers to keep environments visually open and vertical - no need to funnel players into tiny spaces/roadblocks to load the next area from the HDD

LOL WTF

I mean, I know it's stupid to write the game off but you're playing as Gollum FFS...

Some of this stuff does sound interesting though but then again PR talk always makes things sound more interesting than they actually are. Put me down in the heavily skeptical camp until I see gameplay.

Still though, never thought I'd see the day where Gollum is the star of a LOTR game. Like what in the actual fuck LOL...

What timeline is this and how do I get back?

Edited by Sabo
1 hour ago, -GD- said:

I hate LOTR, so hard pass 

This isn't The Lord of the Rings. It's based on the Lord of the Rings. You'll like it, bitch. Make no mistake about it.

Gollem is an explorer that you want to explore. Get in that ass and look around.

16 hours ago, James Skywalker said:

Got lumps for Gollum. Change your love and hump Gollum.

i'd rather give you a kiss and die violently  

3 hours ago, kokujin said:

LOL

but but

I fell asleep during all of them. :D such good sleep. sleep speep sleep. 

3 hours ago, -GD- said:

hahaha me too. i tried to get into them, but i couldn't. 

I don't hate them but I can understand why you would think so. They are extremely overrated for a mediocre story in my opinion, but I enjoy watching them from start to finish. Never seen the hobbit movies tho stopped somewhere when gollum was going crazy in the first. 

also special mention to my boi legolas and ruining archertype characters in online games: Legolas, XLegoas, Shadowlegaos, Darkhunterlegolas, Legolasshadowhunter, Oneleggedlegolegolas....the list is endless  :jasonj:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, kaz said:

I don't hate them but I can understand why you would think so. They are extremely overrated for a mediocre story in my opinion, but I enjoy watching them from start to finish. Never seen the hobbit movies tho stopped somewhere when gollum was going crazy in the first. 

also special mention to my boi legolas and ruining archertype characters in online games: Legolas, XLegoas, Shadowlegaos, Darkhunterlegolas, Legolasshadowhunter, Oneleggedlegolegolas....the list is endless  :jasonj:

I think the books and nerds touching boobs.