I figured out Nintendo's secret weapon

It's music.

I played Zelda BOTW a few years back when my ex had a Switch. Somehow the world seemed so freaking appealing to me way more than any other open world game and I couldn't figure out why because the graphics were terrible, the controls in handheld mode were atrocious and I found some gameplay elements extremely annoying like the surface climbing and repetitive puzzles and tower climbing and those stupid ass fights with robots, and the weird Japanese borderline pedo quirkiness. And you wanna talk about FPS drops in the woods? Holy shit. 

I just now figured out why when I remember the game the thing that sticks out the most is music. Every area had it's own theme song and the overall mood was elevating. Some of the best music I've ever heard, even when just exploring. Nintendo has great composers, and terrible video game designers. 

Edited by Vini

:mj:

Mediocre.. lmao Vini.. lol

Music has the ability to transport you to a time and place and feel things that couldn't be expressed properly with words alone.  Great music ties the entire thing together and elevates something above what it would be with just regular music.  Kind of like how certain songs can represent entire summers, or points in your life. Music plays a huge part in creating a connection to a time... or in this case a game for me.  I remember the director of Ori and the Blind Forest said that for those games, he told the team, if it's possible to convey a feeling or emotion of a character without words ALWAYS do it through the animation, sound and music instead... and I absolutely agree with him.  Notice how Nintendo's games don't really rely on voice acting and things to sell their emotions but heavily utilize phenomenal expressive animations and music?  That's why.

Great music is what elevates a great game to an amazing game imo... but it doesn't cover up flaws in game design.  You're full of shit :hest: 

Edited by Remij_
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

:mj:

Mediocre.. lmao Vini.. lol

Music has the ability to transport you to a time and place and feel things that couldn't be expressed properly with words alone.  Great music ties the entire thing together and elevates something above what it would be with just regular music.  Kind of like how certain songs can represent entire summers, or points in your life. Music plays a huge part in creating a connection to a time... or in this case a game for me.  I remember the director of Ori and the Blind Forest said that for those games, he told the team, if it's possible to convey a feeling or emotion of a character without words ALWAYS do it through the animation, sound and music instead... and I absolutely agree with him.  Notice how Nintendo's games don't really rely on voice acting and things to sell their emotions but heavily utilize phenomenal expressive animations and music?  That's why.

Great music is what elevates a great game to an amazing game imo... but it doesn't cover up flaws in game design.  You're full of shit :hest: 

Great music isn't the only thing that elevates a game, it can be the only good flavor in a turd sandwich. Which is what this is. 

Just now, Vini said:

Great music isn't the only thing that elevates a game, it can be the only good flavor in a turd sandwich. Which is what this is. 

lmao no...  Games with just good music don't get 97 metacritic scores with over 100 reviews... stop being dumb.

Unless you're planning on making another thread which you explain how you realized that you were an idiot about the other stuff too?

If that's coming... then carry on.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

lmao no...  Games with just good music don't get 97 metacritic scores with over 100 reviews... stop being dumb.

Unless you're planning on making another thread which you explain how you realized that you were an idiot about the other stuff too?

If that's coming... then carry on.

832173685_ScreenShot2020-02-24at12_54_37AM.thumb.png.c3517ab465b01d47f761c70d0cf85166.png

Yeah there's maybe 3 games on that list with a memorable score. 

Edited by Vini
6 minutes ago, Vini said:

832173685_ScreenShot2020-02-24at12_54_37AM.thumb.png.c3517ab465b01d47f761c70d0cf85166.png

Yeah there's maybe 3 games on that list with a memorable score. 

lmao... what you just UNINTENTIONALLY did was post that the music didn't matter to those games meta scores... and yet BotW is right up there.  The point of this thread was to say that BotW was a mediocre game with a great music score, and now I have you posting that the music doesn't matter in the top 20+ metacritic games... and yet BotW is there... proving your point completely fucking wrong about music being the only thing is does well.

Congrats.

Edited by Remij_
2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

lmao... what you just UNINTENTIONALLY did was post that the music didn't matter to those games... and yet BotW is right up there.  The point of this thread was to say that BotW was a mediocre game with a great music score, and now I have you posting that the music doesn't matter in the top 20+ metacritic games... and yet BotW is there... proving your point completely fucking wrong.

Congrats.

lol listen to this dude arguing like Jerry out here

I didn't say it never matters, it matters when everything else is also great. You're the one that claimed it's the only way games score above 97 lmao

Edited by Vini
2 minutes ago, Vini said:

lol listen to this dude arguing like Jerry out here

I didn't say it never matters, it matters when everything else is also great. You're the one that claimed it's the only way games score above 97 lmao

You just said BotW was mediocre in everything else.... lmao.

I never said it's the only way games score above 97? ROFL...  I said games that score 97 don't do so by JUST having good music.

God damn you're dumb as fuck :cosby2: 

Nintendo's secret is that they operate in a cult-like fashion and successfully turned their sheep consumers into brainwashed zealots that will buy any trash Nintendo shits out and defend them even when they drop the ball hard.

Fanatical manchildren fucking SHEEP :roff: 

1 hour ago, bhytre said:

Nintendo's secret is that they operate in a cult-like fashion and successfully turned their sheep consumers into brainwashed zealots that will buy any trash Nintendo shits out and defend them even when they drop the ball hard.

Fanatical manchildren fucking SHEEP :roff: 

lol no that happened to lemmings :mjgrin: