Xbox Series X news info - Digital Foundry article/video and techdemo of QuickResume

Just now, Team 2019 said:

They confirmed non X enchached games will get a BC resolution boost. That's impressive as fuck.

Big question is if PS5 can do this...

This would make remasters a bit pointless for many games.

Well you were told that nearly 2 years ago. :reg: 

They're not going to remaster and re-release PS4 games as PS5 games...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FLOP

This system is gonna be a little beast.  

I'll be hyped when they start showing off the games. Can't get hyped over Xbox specs because I guess its been a discussion for months now and most of the speculation lines up. Show. Me. The. Games. I

Posted Images

Just now, Remij_ said:

"Some BC games" will get higher resolutions without patches. So we don't know how it works.

Let's be real the only reason we want this feature on PS5 is Bloodborne first and foremost.

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I'll be interested to see what they do with The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. 

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

"Some BC games" will get higher resolutions without patches. So we don't know how it works.

Let's be real the only reason we want this feature on PS5 is Bloodborne first and foremost.

I wont play BB again unless it's released on PC.

Chances are good :jordan3:

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

I'll be interested to see what they do with The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima. 

Patches for sure..for those who bought the PS4 versions.  Probably those early games would be an exception where they get PS5 physical releases.

Man.. if Sony was equally or more powerful.. the best thing they could do would be to drop that info tomorrow.  Shit would be crazy :D 

12 Vs 13 tflops is whatever, to trivial difference. If the SSD is twice as fast though that would be a big quality of life improvement, doubt it will mean much for game performance.

Edited by Team 2019
Just now, Team 2019 said:

12 Vs 13 tflops is whatever, to trivial difference. If the SSD is twice as fast though that would be a big quality of life improvement, doubt it will mean much for game performance.

12 vs 13 would be unnoticeable.  Even an SSD 2x as fast wouldn't be a big QoL improvement... we're talking 4 sec vs 8 sec..  But it could be huge for addressable memory for textures and assets however.

Welp, confirmed that the expansion NVMe SSD is a proprietary connector. :reg: 

Yea.. of course it is.  It's not going to be something you could use anywhere else... because like I said.. chances are that the memory controller is built right into the Series X hardware.  These "drives" are essentially going to be PCBs with a chip or 2 on it.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Yea.. of course it is.  It's not going to be something you could use anywhere else... because like I said.. chances are that the memory controller is built right into the Series X hardware.  These "drives" are essentially going to be PCBs with a chip or 2 on it.

No shit. I was going to see if Microsoft would man up and use regular components, but like I said, it's Microsoft, so it was unlikely. Hopefully Sony uses normal M.2 M keys so people can use regular NVMe drives along with Sony's own storage solution which appears to be the similar in form/function.

No shit. I was going to see if Microsoft would man up and use regular components, but like I said, it's Microsoft, so it was unlikely. Hopefully Sony uses normal M.2 M keys so people can use regular NVMe drives along with Sony's own storage solution which appears to be the similar in form/function.

It's not going to happen dude.. lmao.  The whole point is that you can't throw in a m.2 drive which could perform under the spec that the console requires to properly function.....

It absolutely wont be an m.2...

Just now, Remij_ said:

It's not going to happen dude.. lmao.  The whole point is that you can't throw in a m.2 drive which could perform under the spec that the console requires to properly function.....

It absolutely wont be an m.2...

Who care if its under spec? There's still internal storage to ensure specifications are met. I'm thinking Sony could use M.2 m keyed SSDs for expansion... it's pretty much 100% that Sony's internal storage is going to be directly soldered onto the board. Did you think they were going to have a setup like PS4/Pro with a removable HDD or something? :drake: 

Just now, lynux3 said:

Who care if its under spec? There's still internal storage to ensure specifications are met. I'm thinking Sony could use M.2 m keyed SSDs for expansion... it's pretty much 100% that Sony's internal storage is going to be directly soldered onto the board. Did you think they were going to have a setup like PS4/Pro with a removable HDD or something? :drake: 

When it runs off of expanded storage... it's just that... running off the expanded storage... it's not copying the game to the internal drive and the running from there...  it needs to reach a sustained throughput threshold.. :drake: 

The fact is that Sony's solution is apparently even FASTER than this...  It's highly unlikely that they are going to have a standard m.2 expansion drive slot where anyone could throw in some garbage SSD which messes up performance.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

When it runs off of expanded storage... it's just that... running off the expanded storage... it's not copying the game to the internal drive and the running from there...  it needs to reach a sustained throughput threshold.. :drake: 

The fact is that Sony's solution is apparently even FASTER than this...  It's highly unlikely that they are going to have a standard m.2 expansion drive slot where anyone could throw in some garbage SSD which messes up performance.

Who said anything about running a PS5 game off expanded storage? The onboard storage is most definitely going to have some allocation for just that unless the software is recognized as something other than a PS5 game. Are you done pretending like you know the minimum requirements for streaming data for next generation games? :drake: 

Just now, lynux3 said:

Who said anything about running a PS5 game off expanded storage? The onboard storage is most definitely going to have some allocation for just that unless the software is recognized as something other than a PS5 game. Are you done pretending like you know the minimum requirements for streaming data for next generation games? :drake: 

:drake: 

You're just saying a bunch of stupid shit right now.. lmao I can't even :D 

:drake: 

You're just saying a bunch of stupid shit right now.. lmao I can't even :D 

Yeah, what a stupid thought to think that you can run PS4 games off expanded storage. :drake: 

Edited by lynux3
3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Yeah, what a stupid thought to think that you can run PS4 games off expanded storage. :drake: 

Really fucking stupid.. because then you'll have people wondering why they can't install their PS5 games on their expanded storage :drake: