Xbox Series X news info - Digital Foundry article/video and techdemo of QuickResume

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FLOP

This system is gonna be a little beast.  

I'll be hyped when they start showing off the games. Can't get hyped over Xbox specs because I guess its been a discussion for months now and most of the speculation lines up. Show. Me. The. Games. I

Posted Images

Just now, Remij_ said:

I'm pretty hyped.  I've been ready for next gen to start for a while now so my PC gets a workout :shrug: 

I'll be hyped when they start showing off the games. Can't get hyped over Xbox specs because I guess its been a discussion for months now and most of the speculation lines up. Show. Me. The. Games. I want to see Microsoft come out swinging with their launch lineup and window.

• Like 1
Just now, lynux3 said:

I'll be hyped when they start showing off the games. Can't get hyped over Xbox specs because I guess its been a discussion for months now and most of the speculation lines up. Show. Me. The. Games. I want to see Microsoft come out swinging with their launch lineup and window.

I feel ya.  I'm a spec nerd though.  I love this shit.  I'll be the same way when Sony announces PS5 and it's hardware features.

Series X has a new AutoHDR feature which uses ML algorithms to analyse the visual data of the game and convert them into HDR.

This will work at the system level for ALL games. :ooh:

This seems like the kind of thing that would work amazingly well for PC too :face: 

-By decoupling rendering and input pipelines, Xbox Series X also supports 120 FPS, so games have the option of doubling their frame-rate from 60 FPS, which halves their internal latency.

Very cool.

image.png.b047bf81fe53abdabbd1a14d9583426d.png

Damn, this dude nailed the Xbox Series X GPU CU count and clock speed two months ago. :dame: If this ends up being true it'll be the biggest "told ya so" at NeoGAF. He got banned for not providing information.

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

image.png.b047bf81fe53abdabbd1a14d9583426d.png

Damn, this dude nailed the Xbox Series X GPU CU count and clock speed two months ago. :dame: If this ends up being true it'll be the biggest "told ya so" at NeoGAF. He got banned for not providing information.

Shit that would be hilarious :D 

2GHz GPU clocks seems very real now considering XSX's specs.  With the right cooling it could happen.

Edited by Remij_

However, even basic ports which barely use any of the Series X's new features are delivering impressive results. The Coalition's Mike Raynor and Colin Penty showed us a Series X conversion of Gears 5, produced in just two weeks. The developers worked with Epic Games in getting UE4 operating on Series X, then simply upped all of the internal quality presets to the equivalent of PC's ultra, adding improved contact shadows and UE4's brand-new (software-based) ray traced screen-space global illumination. On top of that, Gears 5's cutscenes - running at 30fps on Xbox One X - were upped to a flawless 60fps. We'll be covering more on this soon, but there was one startling takeaway - we were shown benchmark results that, on this two-week-old, unoptimised port, already deliver very, very similar performance to an RTX 2080.

@DynamiteCop! Dark :mj: 

The final component in the triumvirate is an extension to DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core.

"Plus it has other benefits," enthuses Andrew Goossen. "It's less latent and it saves a ton of CPU. With the best competitive solution, we found doing decompression software to match the SSD rate would have consumed three Zen 2 CPU cores. When you add in the IO CPU overhead, that's another two cores. So the resulting workload would have completely consumed five Zen 2 CPU cores when now it only takes a tenth of a CPU core.

So in other words, to equal the performance of a Series X at its full IO rate, you would need to build a PC with 13 Zen 2 cores. That's seven cores dedicated for the game: one for Windows and shell and five for the IO and decompression overhead."

^ DirectStorage, a new API that reduces the CPU usage for streaming and decompressing data.

This is coming to Windows 10 as well.  This could be huge. :whew: 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Prices are going to be through the roof for that shit :scust:

Yea possibly.  I'd guess around $100 for 1TB.  If games are better designed around improving and reducing unnecessary storage, then it may not even be really necessary.  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Remij_