Official Mark Cerny "The Road to PS5" deep-dive video thread

No matter how "excellent" the results have been, being able to only play select PS4 titles is probably not going to sit well with those with an extensive catalog of PS4 games. Likewise, those on the fence about whether to invest in a PS5 or an Xbox Series X are not likely to be impressed.

Dumbnux3 :hest: 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I figure those would boost interaction 

20TF+ and 7GB/s SSDs  

15 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Moron :tom: 

"[Putting PS4 chipsets in is] extremely expensive," he said. So instead, the new CPU will operate in three modes — native PS5, legacy PS4 Pro, and legacy PS4. These modes are built into the AMD hardware, so while the technology may evolve, backward compatibility will not be removed for a mid-life-cycle price cut as it happened with the PlayStation 3.

On the downside, Cerny said that because of the boosted frequencies, each PS4 and Pro title has to be tested individually for compatibility. Some older games may not be able to handle the new hardware, but so far, initial tests have been promising.

That's PS5's boosted mode for enhancing PS4 games, you stupid fuck. :hest: Legacy modes support all PS4/PS4 Pro games as is... no enhancements. Like I said, you can't fix stupid. :shrug: 

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

That's PS5's boosted mode for enhancing PS4 games, you stupid fuck. :hest: Legacy modes support all PS4/PS4 Pro games as is... no enhancements. Like I said, you can't fix stupid. :shrug: 

No.  And I'm gonna throw this back in your fucking retarded face :hest: 

"Running PS4 and PS4 [Pro] titles at boosted frequencies has also added complexity. The boost is truly massive this time around and some game code cannot handle it. Testing has to be done on a title-by-title basis. Results are excellent though, we recently took a look at the top 100 titles as ranked by playtime and we're expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PlayStation 5."

- Mark Cerny

Downsyndromij_ :rofls: 

Just now, lynux3 said:

- Mark Cerny

Downsyndromij_ :rofls: 

"running those titles as PS5's frequencies causes complexity..so we have to test each game individually.  We've tested 100 of the top PS4 games, and expect almost all of them to be playable at launch."

That's what's being said.

They're being purposefully ambiguous... because not all are going to work day one.  You don't say you expect almost all of the top 100 to be playable at launch... if you have a mode that guarantee's everything will work day 1.

God DAMN you're fucking dumb. :sabu: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

"running those titles as PS5's frequencies causes complexity..so we have to test each game individually.  We've tested 100 of the top PS4 games, and expect almost all of them to be playable at launch."

That's what's being said.

They're being purposefully ambiguous... because not all are going to work day one.  You don't say you expect almost all of the top 100 to be playable at launch... if you have a mode that guarantee's everything will work day 1.

God DAMN you're fucking dumb. :sabu: 

Holy shit you literally chopped up Cerny's statement to feed into your retardation. :kaz:

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I also love how you tell me here it's not confusing at all...  but are in the ResetERA thread damage controlling the fuck out of people being confused about it... :kaz: 

Retreating to RetardEra confirms my suspicions about how you're retarded. Thanks for helping push that suspicion over the edge. :hest:

3 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Retreating to RetardEra confirms my suspicions about how you're retarded. Thanks for helping push that suspicion over the edge. :hest:

Just remember... you were told there that there is no "boost mode"...  The "boost" is from PS4 to PS5 frequencies...

And you were told here that you're a fucking idiot.

It's gonna be hilarious running this back once Sony has the balls to confirm it. :hehe: 

Edited by Remij_
6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Just remember... you were told there that there is no "boost mode"...  The "boost" is from PS4 to PS5 frequencies...

And you were told here that you're a fucking idiot.

It's gonna be hilarious running this back once Sony has the balls to confirm it. :hehe: 

That is boost mode. Boosting current PS4 games to PS5's native GPU frequency. You're such a dumbass. :rofls:

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

That is boost mode. Boosting current PS4 games to PS5's native GPU frequency. You're such a dumbass. :rofls:

Nope. :reg: 

That shows the PS5's "3 modes" PS5 native... for PS5 games.. and PS4 legacy modes for BC... which need to be fucked around with because frequencies are too high.

Edited by Remij_
6 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Nope. :reg: 

That shows the PS5's "3 modes" PS5 native... for PS5 games.. and PS4 legacy modes for BC... which need to be fucked around with because frequencies are too high.

Legacy modes are akin to the Github leaks when they were testing PS5's GPU at the PS4 and Pro's native frequencies. There is no boosted frequency in legacy mode.

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Legacy modes are akin to the Github leaks when they were testing PS5's GPU at the PS4 and Pro's native frequencies. There is no boosted frequency in legacy mode.

Legacy mode is referring to the GPU logic and instruction set.  It basically switches the GPU into a mode that more closely resembles the PS4/PRO GPU logic.

They still have to contend with the gpu frequencies... which are too high for some games.

Edited by Remij_
1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Legacy mode is referring to the GPU logic and instruction set.  It basically switches the GPU into a mode that more closely resembles the PS4/PRO GPU logic.

They still have to contend with the gpu frequencies... which are too high for some games.

Yeah, it downclocks to their native frequency for games that aren't compatible with PS5's native GPU frequency. The logic and instruction set are always going to be there. There is no mode to enable this logic and instructions; it's just supported out of the box.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Even the GitHub leak had a PS4 and Pro clockspeed setting. He's refering to the boost.

Taking PS4 base 800mhz GPU to 2.2ghz could obviously cause issues, same for 1,6 to 3,5ghz CPU.

Just now, lynux3 said:

Yeah, it downclocks to their native frequency for games that aren't compatible with PS5's native GPU frequency. The logic and instruction set are always going to be there. There is no mode to enable this logic and instructions; it's just supported out of the box.

No man.  It fundamentally changes certain aspects of how the GPU functions..  I think Sony specifically has to go through and test games to make sure the GPU runs at the right frequencies required for those games... on a game by game basis.. thus.. what I'm trying to tell you.

Just now, Remij_ said:

No man.  It fundamentally changes certain aspects of how the GPU functions..  I think Sony specifically has to go through and test games to make sure the GPU runs at the right frequencies required for those games... on a game by game basis.. thus.. what I'm trying to tell you.

Yes man. It's just like my shitty Infail CPU can support instructions from decades ago.

The legacy mode is 100% tied to GPU frequencies. The native "boost mode" is limited to 100 games for the reasons Cerny mentioned which is why they have to go in and put in workarounds on a title-by-title basis. Seriously, do yourself a favor and watch the goddamn video.

Just now, lynux3 said:

Yes man. It's just like my shitty Infail CPU can support instructions from decades ago.

The legacy mode is 100% tied to GPU frequencies. The native "boost mode" is limited to 100 games for the reasons Cerny mentioned which is why they have to go in and put in workarounds on a title-by-title basis. Seriously, do yourself a favor and watch the goddamn video.

:snoop: