Tomonobu Itagaki hopes to reveal his next project this year

3 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Well, consider this a history lesson for you then. Itagaki was the one behind Nioh. During interviews for NG2 he even mentioned the plans and design were pretty much done for Nioh. All they had to do was actually make the game. But then NG2 released, the sexual harassment charges surfaced shortly after that and Itagaki left the company. Nioh was put on the back burner while the new Team Ninja struggled with their next few games.

Ok, but that doesn’t mean that they stuck with his vision for Nioh. For all we now they could have scrapped his ideas and started from scratch.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably so, his last game has a 43% metacritic score.

Please don't sound like Jerry. One is enough.         

I did understand which is why I pointed out you were talking the broader sense and I wasn't. In the broader sense, yeah, they are alike. They share a lot of similar systems.    Their hooks a

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

Ok, but that doesn’t mean that they stuck with his vision for Nioh. For all we now they could have scrapped his ideas and started from scratch.

Sure, I have no proof to prove it but you have none to disclaim it either.

All I got is a track record and random bits of information from old interviews to work with.

Under Itagaki, Team Ninja made great games. Without him, they floundered. Their biggest hit in the past few years is Nioh, a game Itagaki was planning and designing before he left. Crazy coincidence? Maybe.

Oh, here's another random little bit of trivia that you of all people might appreciate. When Itagaki discussed NG he mentions Zelda as an inspiration and it shows. When he was asked once about any inspirations for Nioh he mentioned Onimusha as one of the inspirations for the game. 

10 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Sure, I have no proof to prove it but you have none to disclaim it either.

All I got is a track record and random bits of information from old interviews to work with.

Under Itagaki, Team Ninja made great games. Without him, they floundered. Their biggest hit in the past few years is Nioh, a game Itagaki was planning and designing before he left. Crazy coincidence? Maybe.

Oh, here's another random little bit of trivia that you of all people might appreciate. When Itagaki discussed NG he mentions Zelda as an inspiration and it shows. When he was asked once about any inspirations for Nioh he mentioned Onimusha as one of the inspirations for the game. 

That’s been mentioned a lot but I could not get into Nioh despite being a huge fan of onimusha. The Warlords remaster reminded me that they are really not similar to each other outside of the setting and some of the enemy designs.

Inspiration doesn't mean exactly the same. NG and Zelda are nothing alike but you can see where the inspiration was. Samurai battling historical figures and demons in a fictional Fuedal Japan, the inspiration is a bit more on the nose there.

Edited by Sabo
3 hours ago, kaz said:

:mjpls:

Have you played it? Because you wouldn't be saying this if you did.

Nioh is very much its own thing but if you were to compare it to something then Nioh is closer to something like Diablo than Souls. Nioh is all about the loot. The main driving force of the game is getting the right stats and using the right gear sets for your build. Hell, even levels have suggested Gear Levels before you start them.

48 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Have you played it? Because you wouldn't be saying this if you did.

Nioh is very much its own thing but if you were to compare it to something then Nioh is closer to something like Diablo than Souls. Nioh is all about the loot. The main driving force of the game is getting the right stats and using the right gear sets for your build. Hell, even levels have suggested Gear Levels before you start them.

That's a bit of a stretch. A game having loot driven elements doesn't really change it's core gameplay. Destiny is purely loot driven, more so than Nioh, yet it is still more like Halo than Diablo.

Nioh is definitely a refinement of a Souls game and a lot closer to Souls games than Diablo. If a Souls fan asked for other games they might like that are similar you would recommend Nioh, Sekiro, Surge, etc. If a Diablo fan asked for other similar games they might like you wouldn't recommend Nioh. 

and yes, I have played them. 

9 hours ago, madmaltese said:

That's a bit of a stretch. A game having loot driven elements doesn't really change it's core gameplay. Destiny is purely loot driven, more so than Nioh, yet it is still more like Halo than Diablo.

Nioh is definitely a refinement of a Souls game and a lot closer to Souls games than Diablo. If a Souls fan asked for other games they might like that are similar you would recommend Nioh, Sekiro, Surge, etc. If a Diablo fan asked for other similar games they might like you wouldn't recommend Nioh. 

and yes, I have played them. 

I literally said Nioh is it's own thing because I really think that. If I had to compare it to something it would be Diablo.

I dunno what you're talking about, Nioh absolutely is very loot driven.

Did you only play on Way of the Samurai? Because it sounds like you only played Way of the Samurai. Once you hit Way of the Demon, you unlock the highest tier quality (Ethereal) and hit the gear level cap. All you're doing from this point on is grinding for loot. Its literally the only way to get stronger.

Nioh 2 takes this to another level because they changed the way gear sets work, stats now belong to Stat "families", Accessories can now be Tempered, Soul Cores each have their own innate stats and abilities that you're going to use to further min-max, and Inheritables got a new type (Orange) and are more important now than ever.

11 hours ago, Sabo said:

I literally said Nioh is it's own thing because I really think that. If I had to compare it to something it would be Diablo.

I dunno what you're talking about, Nioh absolutely is very loot driven.

Did you only play on Way of the Samurai? Because it sounds like you only played Way of the Samurai. Once you hit Way of the Demon, you unlock the highest tier quality (Ethereal) and hit the gear level cap. All you're doing from this point on is grinding for loot. Its literally the only way to get stronger.

Nioh 2 takes this to another level because they changed the way gear sets work, stats now belong to Stat "families", Accessories can now be Tempered, Soul Cores each have their own innate stats and abilities that you're going to use to further min-max, and Inheritables got a new type (Orange) and are more important now than ever.

I already said Nioh is loot driven, I said that doesn't change what type of game it resembles. It's why I used Destiny (the ultimate loot driven game outside of Diablo as an example). You can add loot driven mechanics onto nearly any game and it's doesn't mean it becomes closer to Diablo than games that share similar gameplay. Division is a heavily loot driven game, but it is closer to Gears of War than Diablo. Bordelands is purely loot driven but it is closer to a regular fps than Diablo. Nioh is still closer to a Souls game and games of that new found genre than it is to Diablo. 

2 hours ago, madmaltese said:

I already said Nioh is loot driven, I said that doesn't change what type of game it resembles. It's why I used Destiny (the ultimate loot driven game outside of Diablo as an example). You can add loot driven mechanics onto nearly any game and it's doesn't mean it becomes closer to Diablo than games that share similar gameplay. Division is a heavily loot driven game, but it is closer to Gears of War than Diablo. Bordelands is purely loot driven but it is closer to a regular fps than Diablo. Nioh is still closer to a Souls game and games of that new found genre than it is to Diablo. 

LOL Disagree completely. Your looking in a broader sense. I'm talking the main hook of the gameplay.

1 hour ago, Sabo said:

LOL Disagree completely. Your looking in a broader sense. I'm talking the main hook of the gameplay.

Fair enough to disagree. But simple question. Who has the bigger chance to like Nioh, a fan of soulsbourne (for lack of better term)  esque games, or a fan of hack n slash Diablo esque games. The gameplay for Diablo and Nioh is polar opposite. The loot is there as a thing to grind and create a loop for the core gameplay, it is not the gameplay though. It's why you see loot driven mechanics in pretty much every genre now (Destiny - FPS, Divison - 3rd Person Shooter, Diablo - hack n slash, Nioh - Souls esque Action RPG, heck even shit like Steamworld Dig for 2D sidescrollers)

I completely agree with Madmal.  Nioh is definitely more loot based than any Souls like game.. but it's not even close to a dungeon crawler hack and slash like Diablo.  The core gameplay is FAR closer to Souls than Diablo and would definitely appeal to those players.

I've never heard anyone suggest that if someone like Diablo they play Nioh, or vice versa lmao

18 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Fair enough to disagree. But simple question. Who has the bigger chance to like Nioh, a fan of soulsbourne (for lack of better term)  esque games, or a fan of hack n slash Diablo esque games. The gameplay for Diablo and Nioh is polar opposite. The loot is there as a thing to grind and create a loop for the core gameplay, it is not the gameplay though. It's why you see loot driven mechanics in pretty much every genre now (Destiny - FPS, Divison - 3rd Person Shooter, Diablo - hack n slash, Nioh - Souls esque Action RPG, heck even shit like Steamworld Dig for 2D sidescrollers)

The fact you're calling Diablo a Hack n Slash has me wondering if there's another game called Diablo that I don't know about.

2 minutes ago, Sabo said:

The fact you're calling Diablo a Hack n Slash has me wondering if there's another game called Diablo that I don't know about.

Well that's what it is. An isometric hack n slash rpg game. It's what it's always been. Not a very popular genre these days but still. 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I completely agree with Madmal.  Nioh is definitely more loot based than any Souls like game.. but it's not even close to a dungeon crawler hack and slash like Diablo.  The core gameplay is FAR closer to Souls than Diablo and would definitely appeal to those players.

I've never heard anyone suggest that if someone like Diablo they play Nioh, or vice versa lmao

FFS, I already said THREE times now that Nioh is it's own thing. I don't think its like anything else. 

If I had to choose a game it would be Diablo. Nioh's gameplay hook is much closer to Diablo than it is to Souls. Not it's "core" gameplay, its hook. The thing that drives you to keep playing the game.