Casual's Top 50 Games of All Time

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best I can do is like top 5 using Ben smileys for some of my most memorable gaming titles.     Half-Life    MGS 3    Halo CE   Ninja Gaiden     

More ppl should do threads like this. I might try update my Top 50 and post it later. Fun threads. 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Ike said:

If that's your games outside the top 10, I'm really curious to see what is actually your top 10. :jordan3:

Tbh I wanted my top 10 especially to represent games that were my favourites, i tried not to be blinded to much by objectivity. Not to say they're not great, but i think most people will think there should be more games from the 10-20 range up top. 

Banjo Kazooie

SI_N64_BanjoKazooie_image1600w.jpg

My favourite N64 game. To this day I still love everything about this game. Bar none the absolute best hub world in gaming...going into a new area of it, wondering what kind of level it was going to hold, finding the secrets, all of it was just such a fun experience Characters, music, level design, dialogue, difficulty, it was Rare in their prime imo. I know it's a collectathon, but it was a collectathon before collectathons became bloated and overdone (ie. Banjo Tooie). Every level in this game is ingrained in my memory and it's hard to even pick a worst one...I guess I'd probably have to go with Clankers or Treasure Cove, but those are hardly even close to bad. The best ones though? Freezeezy, Mad Monster Mansion, Rusty Bucket Bay, and my personal favourite...Click Clock Woods which has the best song in the game...in four different versions for the different seasons. Classic in my book. 

Bloodborne

bloodborne.png?fit=780%2C439&ssl=1

The game of the gen for me, an absolute instant classic. I still remember how hyped up I got over that one leaked clip of the FROM game that ended up being Bloodborne. This is a game world that I can only imagine would require gallons of acid to even come up with in the first place. FROM was still in absolute top form in terms of world design, maybe their best go at a massive interconnected world. Throw in some of the most gloriously demented enemies and bosses to ever be in a video game, fantastic fast-paced brutally difficult combat, a great OST, perfect controls, etc. The only knock about this game is performance, I really hope we get a 60FPS PS5/PC version at some point, it would be a travesty if we didn't. 

Oh, and then they took all that shit from the base game, and 1up'd themselves with what might be the best DLC to ever be created.

StarCraft/Brood War

220px-StarCraft_box_art.jpg

Blizzard and the RTS genre in their peak. As you guys have realized by now, I wasn't a PC gamer growing up. My first experience with StarCraft was actually StarCraft 64 which I rented from Jumbo Video. I loved it. I convinced my parents to let me buy it with my birthday money and we went to Walmart to pick it up. But they didn't have it...StarCraft 64 was apparently a pretty limited run. I ended up getting the PC version instead...in my head I had made a compromise, but hey, I was still getting the same game right? Hellllll nah, I was getting something entirely different. and I don't think I was ready for it. This is the game that made PC gaming click for me...when I realized what could be accomplished with a mouse and some internet...well, the internet portion wasn't immediate...I didn't even jump into Battle.net for a while. I went through the SIX campaigns that were included by this time. I did hundreds of comp stomps either by myself or with buddies, sometimes with cheats (operation cwal, show me the money, war aint what it used to be, etc), sometimes without. I tried every possible variation of an army I could think of. I thought the game couldn't get any better. Then one day I decided to ht that Battle.net button. So many game types, so many mods, so much replayability. It dawned on me that I actually sucked at this game, but I didn't even care. I could spend days playing the varieties of maps in this game...my favourite mod was probably the Simpsons one. Otherwise I started off as a noob doing NR20 games...but eventually I found the pro scene and realized the beauty of the game when played the "right" way. I still never got to be very good at the game unfortunately, I was a bit better at 2 but that game disappointed me in other ways. It's a bit of a shame that the genre has basically died, but StarCraft is something that will always be absolutely timeless in my mind.

• Like 1

Dark Souls

220px-Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg

FROM could have easily just made a more polished version of Demon’s Souls and probably seen what would have been considered lots of success. Instead they basically perfected most of what made Demon’s Soul great, and stuck it into one of the greatest achievements in world design that gaming has ever seen. I debated between this and Bloodborne but for me I think I prefer the variety in character creation/gameplay style available in Dark Souls. Being first is also a big factor. The amount of weapons and the impact they have on how you approach the game combined with how amazing the world is to explore/interact with and the number of ways you can work your way through it  make it one of my most replayed games. I hope this gets remastered for every console from this point on. Solidified FROM as a top tier developer for me. 

Donkey Kong Country 2:Diddy’s Kong Quest

DK_Country_2.jpg

Just everything that made Donkey Kong Country great and then some. Better music, better level design, better gameplay thanks to Dixies mobility, better mini games, better use of animal companions, better secrets, better enemies. Have I missed anything? Easily my favourite SNES game and something I go back to all the time. The first game I added to and played on my SNES Classic and probably the reason it will always be hooked up in my home. The world that Rare created for this game is just fucking great, the enemy design is top tier, moving to K Rools island was such a great shift in tone that worked so well combined with the engine and the soundtrack. If Retros games could even give half the same atmosphere as DKC2 they’d be modern 2D classics. 

Metroid Prime

[220px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

I was always annoyed that we never got a Metroid for N64. The first time I heard about Metroid Prime was in an issue of EGM. It had previews for Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and Metroid Prime. I must have read them each 100 times. I was hyped through the roof for all of them. Two of them would disappoint me, but Metroid Prime would make up for it and then some. I played the demo on a kiosk at a Walmart about a month before Christmas that year, I knew my parents probably already got it for me for Christmas so I couldn’t buy it, that ended up being one of the longest waits I’ve experienced for a video game. Once I finally popped it in my GameCube though, I couldn’t care less. I don’t think any other game could make missing an entire generation of consoles more justified than Metroid Prime. To me this is the most masterful jump from 2D to 3D that’s ever happened, Mario and Zelda included. I still think it’s the absolute best looking game from that generation...a perfect blend of technical and artistic competence that somehow runs at 60fps at only the expense of a few slow opening doors throughout. The pinnacle of Metroidvania design in a 3D space, the most memorable world of any game I’ve played, I can practically play through the game in my head. Outside of the somewhat padded artifact run, it’s probably the most consistently good and complete game I can think of. The lock on system works perfectly with the upgrades and is a perfect compromise to allow for a movement speed and weight that just adds to the atmosphere and immersion. Not to mention one of the chest soundtracks in gaming, and the overall best track. I could go on and on about this game, it’s a game I hold in higher regard than any other single player game that I’ve played. 

DKC 2 is definitely a hot take but hard to argue its quality. Such a shame what MS reduced Rare to.

Phenandra Drifts was just incredible as was just everything about Metroid Prime. It definitely deserved the 9.7. Wish GS still did the scores like that. It does make a difference IMO. 

I expect your top three to be dominated by Blizzard games. 

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

DKC 2 is definitely a hot take but hard to argue its quality. Such a shame what MS reduced Rare to.

Phenandra Drifts was just incredible as was just everything about Metroid Prime. It definitely deserved the 9.7. Wish GS still did the scores like that. It does make a difference IMO. 

I expect your top three to be dominated by Blizzard games. 

Yeah I don't think we've seen Diablo 2 yet :face: