Casual's Top 50 Games of All Time

Sup guys. Me and some buddies were talking about what our favourite games of all time were and I was trying to put together my top 10. Had to do some googling of the main platforms I've played through my life to jog my memory and before I knew it I was sitting on a list of 50-60 games. So since I'm sitting at home doing fuck all, and have this list ready, I might as well post them. So I figure I'll post a handful a day (along with some reasoning), haven't decided on how many, until we arrive at #1. Comment on the games, shit on my taste, whatever works. Figure I'll add some balance to Jim and Aza's shitposting. 

These aren't necessarily what I consider the best games of all time, but they're my favourites. I consider at least the vast majority of them to be objectively great games, but the list, and more specifically the ordering has a lot more to do with the memories I have of the games and where I was in my life when I was playing them. I actually have a pretty shit memory most of the time, but I have pretty vivid memories of playing most of these games.

Would be cool to see some of your guy's lists too. 

The List:

Honorable Mentions:

Jade Empire

Beetle Adventure Racing

Phantasy Star Online Episode 1/2

Turok 2

WCW vs. NWO Revenge

Zelda:LA

51. Super Mario RPG
50. Donkey Kong 64
49. Rollercoaster Tycoon

48. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

47. Civilization IV

46. God of War (2018)
45. Metal Gear Solid

44. Celeste

43. Baiten Kaitos

42. Splatoon 2

41. Forza Motorsport 2

40. Pokemon Snap

39. Mass Effect 2

38. Crash Bandicoot

37. Tales of Symphonia

36. Yakuza 0

35. The Last of Us

34. Goldeneye

33. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

32. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

31. Diddy Kong Racing

30. Mario Tennis

29. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

28. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

27. Tetris

26. Hollow Knight

25. Demon's Souls

24. Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

23. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

22. Mass Effect

21. Resident Evil 4

20. Chrono Trigger

19. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

18. Final Fantasy VI

17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

16. Super Mario World

15. Super Smash Bros. Melee

14. Donkey Kong Country

13. Super Metroid

12. Super Mario Bros. 3

11. Super Mario 64

10. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

9. Banjo Kazooie

8. Bloodborne

7. StarCraft

6. Dark Souls

5. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

4. Metroid Prime

3. World of Warcraft

2. Counter Strike

1. Diablo II

Edited by Casual
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best I can do is like top 5 using Ben smileys for some of my most memorable gaming titles.     Half-Life    MGS 3    Halo CE   Ninja Gaiden     

More ppl should do threads like this. I might try update my Top 50 and post it later. Fun threads. 

Posted Images

Honorable Mentions

I ended up with a list of 56 but wanted to cut it to 50. These are the ones that were just on the outside. 

BAR_gamebox.PNG

Who would have thought a game based on one of the worst cars of all time could be so good. I don't even know how this game came to be, I assume it was some sort of promotional tool at the time, but I wasn't really in the loop of game development at that point in my life. For some reason it caught my eye at Jumbo Video and I rented it. Turns out it was fucking dope and I ended up buying a used copy shortly after. This game had a huge variety of tracks and some of the best shortcuts for any racing game I had played up till that point (admittedly there weren't too many). If N64 classic ever comes out this will be one of the first games I'd load onto it.

91fDDqL0o0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I never owned this one, but my buddy around the corner did. Wrestling was never my thing but around the N64/PS1 era all my friends were into it so I played most of the games. This one was the best of them imo and the one we'd always end up coming back to. I think I liked the characters in this one a lot more than most of the other wrestling games at the time which were based more around WWF. 

It also had a goat level intro:

6000200154548.jpg

Link's Awakening would be way higher but I never owned a Gameboy as a kid. I remember borrowing a friends for a short period of time but not getting very far into it. I finally played the full thing through on the 3DS virtual console, but the Switch version was what really made me fall in love with it. Honestly I think this would be a lot higher if I had a GBC as a kid, but it still deserves mention on here. A bit on the easy side but it's up there with Majora's Mask in terms of cool somewhat departures from big Nintendo series. 

Top tier music.

Turok2box.jpg

This was still at the time where I was relatively uninformed and the majority of the games on my radar were from word of mouth. I played Turok at a buddies house and loved it instantly. At the time I thought it was the coolest setting for a shooter I'd ever played. I went home and got my mom to call EB to see if they had it in stock. They didn't, but a new one had just come out and they had that. At this point sequels had yet to betray me and in my mind #2 was always better than #1. That was true in this case. The game was hard as shit for me, I don't think I ever beat it as a kid, even using cheats (i still remember "bewareoblivionisathand"). The setting was a lot darker than the original and the levels were mindblowingly huge at the time. My only real exposure to FPS' was Goldeneye and this seemed like an open world in comparison. Oh and the guns were great. It's too bad what happened to this series, playing Evolution for the first time on Gamecube was probably one of my top 10 most disappointing gaming moments.

Jade_Empire_Coverart.png

I was relatively new to WRPGs when this came out. I remember shitting on it relentlessly on GS SW when it became yet another flop in the Xbox lineup. In private though I rented it and beat it three times during the same week. The length of it didn't even bother me. It was such a unique combination of setting + gameplay (to me at least). Tbh I don't really remember many of the specifics of this game, it's something I should probably go back and replay, though I'm not sure how it holds up. 

61Z96GAN6PL._AC_.jpg

I got this game at a time when I was looking around hard for a Diablo II equivalent. I was still pretty addicted to that formula and was looking for something different. I remember a friend recommending this and Hunter The Reckoning. Turns out neither of them really had much to do with Diablo II other than having loot. I remember my buddy would sleepover at my house and we wouldn't even really talk to each other, one would be playing D2 on the PC, the other this on the Gamecube, and we'd switch every so often. This was another game that was unlike anything else I'd really experienced at the time. I never got too deep into it though, since I never had the online. It probably would be way higher on this list if I did. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Casual said:

:ben:

Honestly though I can't rank games, or even artists, or songs. I'm just terrible at ranking since I'm always debating which one gets ahead of the other....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Honestly though I can't rank games, or even artists, or songs. I'm just terrible at ranking since I'm always debating which one gets ahead of the other....

Yeah I feel you. Mine will flip flop a lot but I figure it's close enough. Most of the 20-50 range is pretty interchangeable within 5-10 spots depending I'd say. 

The best I can do is like top 5 using Ben smileys for some of my most memorable gaming titles.

Half-Life th_freeben_final-1.png

MGS 3 th_snakeben1-2.png

Halo CE :haloben:

Ninja Gaiden th_hyabensa.png

Empire: Total Warth_benpire.png

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

yeah same, we had top 10 games threads so many times and I swear it changes every time for every poster, so it's not only you and me.

I think I have a number 1 game and I always stick to it, but it's basically a nostalgia no 1. There are definitely other games that are "better".

The only thing I'm 100% certain is one piece of music takes the first place by far. 

i have voidler's picks:

rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, rocket league, 

• Haha 1
  1. Resident Evil 4
  2. Resident Evil: Remake
  3. Resident Evil 2/ Resident Evil 2 (2019)
  4. Resident Evil: Code Veronica
  5. Resident Evil 3/ RE3 (2020)
  6. Devil May Cry 5
  7. Dead Rising
  8. Final Fantasy X
  9. Deadly Premonition
  10. Silent Hill 3
  11. Shenmue
  12. Shenmue 2
  13. Call of Duty: Black Ops 
  14. Call of Duty Black Ops 2
  15. Tales of Vesperia

these lists are dumb, first games that came to my head

Zelda OOT

Super Metroid 

Metroid Prime

Zelda BOTW 

Mario 64

Goldeneye 

Street Fighter 2 (Arcade Cabinet) 

Zelda: ALTTP

Mario Bros 3

Resident Evil 4

ChronoTrigger

Super Mario world

Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES) 

Donkey Kong Country 1

4 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Zelda OOT

Super Metroid 

Metroid Prime

Zelda BOTW 

Mario 64

Goldeneye 

Street Fighter 2 (Arcade Cabinet) 

Zelda: ALTTP

Mario Bros 3

Resident Evil 4

ChronoTrigger

Super Mario world

Mike Tyson's Punch Out (NES) 

Donkey Kong Country 1

this list is atrocious :mj: its like you only ever played games on ninty consoles