35 years of Super Mario, the top 35 games

Oh shit, I just realized I messed up. Next few numbers are going to have to be combinations since I'm making this list as I go along. I could reorder it later but they are definitely top 10 Mario games.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, the fact this is even possible just goes to show you how huge Mario is. He really is the most iconic video game character and nothing comes close. He is in a league of his own.

I didn't even touch on the music really either. There's been some incredible music over the years too. My personal favorite has always been the Castle theme from Super Mario World.

Super Mario Galaxy/Super Mario Galaxy 2

51tPCaGMWCL._SY445_.jpg  65118.jpg

I'm combining these two because they are similar in many ways apart from the addition in Yoshi in the sequel. (Also, I ran out of room :meh:) However, this is just pure platforming magic in these games.

Super Mario 64

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

I always remember being 7 years old and trying the demo for this at Sears. I've played this game so much I know every nook and cranny of that castle. Just an incredible experience.

7 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

At least somebody recognizes the godliness of Super Mario World (or is excluding off their top 25 and honorable mentions :ben:).

If forced to choose, I'd say Super Mario World is the best in the series but I wouldn't fault or argue anyone who says it's SMB3.

Did you know that Mario Kart 8 came out SIX YEARS AGO?

So, they've been selling assloads of MK8 for 6 straight years.

We are absolutely due for Mario Kart 9 on the Switch, and it better be a doozy.

10 minutes ago, Casual said:

I like the list but I gotta say grouping SMB3/W is a cop out!

I ran out of room actually and realized I still had games to list and not enough sports remaining. :ben:

My top 5

1. Super Mario World

2. Super Mario Bros. 3

3. Super Mario 64

4. Super Mario Galaxy 2

5. Super Mario Galaxy

My top 5 would probably be 

Super Mario Brothers 3 

Super Mario Galaxy 

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario 3D world

It is easily the most consistently high quality series and probably the only series that has held my attention every gen for over 30 years. I would say SMB3 is my favourite game of all time with FF7 and the two galaxy games are not far behind.

10 minutes ago, Angelfish said:

Super Mario Land 2 IMO is pretty underrated.  I like its hub and I like that a lot of the enemies in it are still unique to the game to this day.  I guess Space Zone prefigured the SMG 1+2 space theme much later?

Yeah, I always feel it gets left out when it's super unique and so fun. It's in my top 10 here.

8 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Wow, the fact this is even possible just goes to show you how huge Mario is. He really is the most iconic video game character and nothing comes close. He is in a league of his own.

Yep.  Mario is completely in a league of his own.  The most iconic game character of all time.. and so many of the Mario games have pushed gaming ahead as a whole... no other series has probably contributed as much as Mario has.

SMB3 (USA version) beats SMW

But SMW beats Japan SMB3.  

SMB3 USA was a lot more easier, you can have a Super Leaf and be Racoon Mario, get hit by an enemy and be turned to Super Mario, you get hit again and you are just Mario (small version).  

Where as SMW you have a Super Leaf and you are Superman Mario you get hit by an ememy and you are turned to into just Mario (the small version).  

18 minutes ago, Sabo said:

I'd wager a bet he's one of the most recognizable figures in the world. I bet I can show the picture to 10 people and they'd all know it's Mario.

4 minutes ago, Quad Damage said:

mario golf for the gbc is the best in the franchise. and if you’re including wario, then warioware and wario land  2 obliterate like 28 of those games.

Do you mean this game?

image.png.563da86ec2dbb53da547b1748ccad0cb.png

Yeah, that one is really good as well.

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

I'd wager a bet he's one of the most recognizable figures in the world. I bet I can show the picture to 10 people and they'd all know it's Mario.

Mario is bigger than Mickey Mouse. 

I wish Nintendo would buy Disney and then turn Disney World/Land into Nintendo Land.    

1 minute ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Mario is bigger than Mickey Mouse. 

I wish Nintendo would buy Disney and then turn Disney World/Land into Nintendo Land.    

They're building a Super Mario Land themed park with a Mario Kart attraction at Universal Tokyo.