Let the trend continue. Mad's Top 50 games

Great start to the top 10. Nice to see diablo getting love around here, hopefully we get d2hd soon...

I could never get into sotc tbh.  I got halfway through the remake and just fell off it. I really enjoyed ico though, tbh that probably should have made my top 50 but I didn’t even think about it. 

Edited by Casual
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without further ado, the greatest game ever made:   1. Deus Ex (PC)     This is the game that forever will be my no.1. The game that truly cemented this hobby as my prefe

I was close. 

30. Crash Team Racing (psone)     The best Kart racer ever. Fuck your Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing. The Kart racer that actually is purely dependent on skill not item drops. Th

4. God of War (PS4)

1300687.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

My game of the generation and exactly what I'm currently looking for in games at this stage of my life. By the end of last gen and leading into this gen it was quickly becoming apparent that narrative driven action adventure games were my fav genre. Games like UC set the tone for what can be done in cinematic gameplay and TLoU set the level of what games can do from a narrative and character perspective but neither of those games perfected the blend of those character/story elements and an unbelievable scale and cinematic direction with such excellent gameplay as God of War did. GoW was already one of my favourite franchises prior to this one yet they decided to basically through all that away and reinvent the either franchise, what a risk and what a result. They added a level of depth and heart to a character that had none, they basically changed genres for the series and went all in on the premise. It is probably the first time that I feel mo cap has got to a point where emotion and character performances translate through animation alone (not voice acting) and had so many standout moments including probably my fav moment in modern gaming (a scene that leads up to an awesome treat for fans of the franchise). On top of all that though it had such superb level design, turning the franchise into basically a metroidvania design with lite Souls esque combat that gave you one of the most satisfying weapons ever made. Last but not least, the first ever one shot game. This game is the new standard for the medium for me and it's sequel is my most hyped game.

I beat and enjoyed it but to be honest, I had more fun playing Spider-Man. It’s a technical marvel though and made me buy a Pro and a 4K tv. It was a system seller type exclusive. Another series that’s going to be gorgeous on PS5 and I can see benefiting from the new SSD. 

Great choice. God of war is one of the best examples of how to completely reinvent a franchise. When you finally get the blades of chaos was also hype af. Sony was honestly on a damn role there for awhile with horizon, god of war, Spider-Man and Detroit, bloodborne, uncharted 4, The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2. The only non AAAe was Detroit

32 minutes ago, Ike said:

I beat and enjoyed it but to be honest, I had more fun playing Spider-Man. It’s a technical marvel though and made me buy a Pro and a 4K tv. It was a system seller type exclusive. Another series that’s going to be gorgeous on PS5 and I can see benefiting from the new SSD. 

If they managed to do the one shot style with a PS4 I can only imagine what they will pull off with PS5 specs and it's SSD.

23 minutes ago, Sabo said:

I was expecting Kingdom Hearts III.

I liked God of War. I think this game in particular is a bit overrated but I did enjoy the game.

hahaha not that bad. but I think i remember you mentioning you had huge issues with it's combat and considered it overrated. 

1 minute ago, Delita said:

Great choice. God of war is one of the best examples of how to completely reinvent a franchise. When you finally get the blades of chaos was also hype af. Sony was honestly on a damn role there for awhile with horizon, god of war, Spider-Man and Detroit, bloodborne, uncharted 4, The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2. The only non AAAe was Detroit

Best gaming moment this gen and one of the best moments ever. The emotional build up prior with the events that happen to Atreus, the silent rage building in Kratos depicted so well on the boat ride and then the reveal of the return of the Blades followed by unleashing all that rage with them. Holy Fuck that was amazing. 

Yeah it was their greatest run of first party titles. All devs at their absolute best one after the other. Can't wait to see what they've been working on for next gen. 

Yeah. I have a few issues with God of War. Combat was one of them but I also didn't like how toned down and automated the platforming was. I didn't care for how simple the puzzles were either. I think the game is a step down in these areas compared to previous games.

I did really enjoy the story though and thought the game did a great job in this regard. The world building was also top notch. The characters were very well done as well, especially Kratos. Baldur is easily the best villain we've seen in a videogame in like 10 years. Such a cool character.

So overall, I do like the game. I just don't share the same strong feelings for it as everyone else does.

3. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

The best JRPG ever created!! It's been pretty much on everyone's list so not much left to say but with such innovative gameplay with a unique battle system, a great story, cool side quests, multiple endings where choice matters and top notch graphics and music this was the game that stands above all other JRPGs. A revolution for it's time and a game that still holds up perfectly today. 

• Sad 1
  • aitch 1

2. Starcraft (PC)

starcraft-front.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1

I wouldn't even want to imagine the amount of hours I put into this game. This was the play everyday after school. every chance I got on weekends and it's just all I wanted to do. The best RTS game ever and in a golden age of just amazing PC games. We all know everything about this game so not much more to say but the fact this is still such a highly played and highly competitive game after over 2 decades speaks volume on it's depth and gameplay. It's a genre I greatly miss but not one I ever think that truly return to it's former glory but thankfully Starcraft will always be there, as good as it ever was.

• aitch 1
2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Cmon, hit me with the Sabo curveball and give SMW #1 despite already saying SMB3 was your favourite 2D Mario game.

Sorry to disappoint but it ain't gonna happen. 

Although I guess no.1 is gonna be a curveball considering it's a game I haven't seen on ANYONE's list in ANYONE position. 

14 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Sorry to disappoint but it ain't gonna happen. 

Although I guess no.1 is gonna be a curveball considering it's a game I haven't seen on ANYONE's list in ANYONE position. 

:(

My guess is one of the Ori games. :smugd:

27 minutes ago, kaz said:

:| 

It’s an opinion shared by many and while it’s pretty good I’ll never understand why it’s so highly regarded. Probably somewhere in my 30-40 in a top 50 rpg list

Without further ado, the greatest game ever made:

1. Deus Ex (PC)

384142.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This is the game that forever will be my no.1. The game that truly cemented this hobby as my preferred form of entertainment and the game that opened up so many possibilities of what was possibly in gaming. For a lot of these older games you could argue that newer, modern games have made so many quality of life improvements and gameplay evolution that if you were to compare them directly today that many just won't hold up, however for Deus Ex I have still yet to find a game that has ever bested it in terms of what it does. Still no game where the range of options, choice and gameplay systems blend so perfectly. A first person, action rpg/shooter/stealth game with a wealth of option in choice of carrying out your objectives and a story that blew my young mind. My perfect setting, a cyberpunk futuristic world with a story full of rival factions, terrorism, secret societies, undercover agencies, The Illuminati, advanced AI, nano viruses and just about everything that makes this world just bursting with things to explore and discover. Every corner, every door, ever email, every drawer was worth looking into and it all built to create my favourite every world and story because of the direct main plot and the insane amount of environmental storytelling it had. 

While the graphics are now extremely dated (HD mod helps), everything else is still superb. Missions can be completed in any way to want, all you're ever told is your objective, how you achieve it is completely up to you. Shooting, stealth, hacking systems, infiltrating, bribing or coercing other people, combination of all the above. If you could think it and if you spent the time to discover what was possible the game was going to reward you by allowing you to accomplish it whichever way you want. It's open ended choices in gameplay also fed into the story where the game could significantly change based on actions and with some super cool multiple endings including one where you become a literal god. 

This game exceeded everything I thought was possible in the medium and without it I don't know if I would be still gaming today. 

• Like 3
  • Geese 1