Let the trend continue. Mad's Top 50 games

8 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Chaos Theory was the fucking best. 

Ubi keeping two of the best franchises buried :( Such a huge lack of complete stealth based games now too. 

I'd even settle for Remakes.  Just remake Sands of Time and Chaos Theory and I'll be happy.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Without further ado, the greatest game ever made:   1. Deus Ex (PC)     This is the game that forever will be my no.1. The game that truly cemented this hobby as my prefe

I was close. 

30. Crash Team Racing (psone)     The best Kart racer ever. Fuck your Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing. The Kart racer that actually is purely dependent on skill not item drops. Th

35. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

The game that solidified narrative driven cinematic action adventure games as one of my fav genres. This game is the perfect example of what a sequel should be. Took the core idea of the original and then ramped everything up tenfold and setting a new standard for what epic set pieces in games could be. This game took segments that were usually reserved for cutscenes and made them part of the gameplay. My jaw was floored constantly by the stunning surroundings and locations. These things were only further increased in subsequent sequels but this was the one that truly took the genre to the next step. All that with lovable characters, great writing and fun gunplay make it one of my fav games ever.

34. Tales of Symphonia (GC)

tos.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Bought this game completely randomly and was blown away. At the time it had by far my favourite real time combat engine in a JRPG and a cast of great characters with a story that had twists and turns constantly. I have tried numerous Tales games after this and none have come close to capturing me the same way that Symphonia did. The best tales game ever and one of the greatest JRPGs ever made. 

It's also at this point of my list where I really realise how much I loved the GC :( Still one more GC game to come too. 

33. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

dkctitle.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Platforming is a genre that when done right truly is timeless. This game stays at this level because no matter how many times I have went back to it through the countless ways Nintendo has re-released their older games, it always hooks me right back in. An absolute joy to play from when it came out till today. 

32. Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal (PS2)

151158-Ratchet_%26_Clank_-_Up_Your_Arsen

Maybe a little controversial given it's position but the PS2 era of the platforming trio is up there with my fav era of games. Loved all 3 and while the Jak games were my fav at the time I don't think they have aged anywhere near as well as this particular R&C game. The third installment in the R&C series was pure perfect. Massive array of unique guns, huge campaign, a side game which was a 2d platformer, the best bosses and best upgrade features on the gun and just endless action. Some times you just want to lie back and have mindless fun with a game and this was one of the best for doing that. A series that probably hasn't evolved very much throughout the gens but this game was it's best and it's gameplay still hold up just as well.

31. Pokemon Red/Blue (Gameboy)

pokemon-boxart.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

While it's a series that I probably could never go back to play given how dated it now feels, I just can't deny that when this game was out this game was simply my life. There was no other game, there was only Pokemon. Everyone i knew had it, all we talked about was Pokemon, all we wanted to do was play Pokemon. It started such an insane cultural phenomenon that I didn't really ever experience before. I played every single inch of this game so many times and probably spent more time collectively engrossed than any other game ever.  

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Sabo said:

DKC over DKC2? Nice. I'm the same. Yeah, DKC2 is technically the better game but I just like DKC more.

Yeah it was one of the harder ones to choose from since I’m trying to only do 1 from each series but like you said, while 2 is probably the better game it was the first one that really grabbed me and still the one I come back to most. 

15 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah it was one of the harder ones to choose from since I’m trying to only do 1 from each series but like you said, while 2 is probably the better game it was the first one that really grabbed me and still the one I come back to most. 

Yeah I got back and forth between 1 and 2 often. They both have such damn high highs for me. some of the most imaginative and well executed worlds in gaming. 

The first time you get to the snow world and the blizzard starts rolling in. So good. 

nice to see some tales of symphonia love. I liked versperia a lot but it wasn’t quite as good. GameCube really was a great system, it didn’t have the quantity and missed out on some larger multi plays, but the consistency of the exclusives and niche gems sprinkled in was great. It might be my favourite Nintendo console since the snes. 

4 hours ago, Casual said:

Yeah I got back and forth between 1 and 2 often. They both have such damn high highs for me. some of the most imaginative and well executed worlds in gaming. 

The first time you get to the snow world and the blizzard starts rolling in. So good. 

nice to see some tales of symphonia love. I liked versperia a lot but it wasn’t quite as good. GameCube really was a great system, it didn’t have the quantity and missed out on some larger multi plays, but the consistency of the exclusives and niche gems sprinkled in was great. It might be my favourite Nintendo console since the snes. 

I don't think I ever played Versperia. Got burnt out on a lot of the others searching for that Symphonia hit again.

Yeah the GC had so many unique games, if exclusives make a console than GC is easily up there with the best. 

30. Crash Team Racing (psone)

crash-team-racing_ps1.png&f=1&nofb=1

The best Kart racer ever. Fuck your Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing. The Kart racer that actually is purely dependent on skill not item drops. The gameplay in this game was AMAZING, the power boost feature and the upgradable drops made every single second intense. The amount of content was also incredible. A full campaign, with bosses and 'story'. Then each level offering multiple types of races after you complete them including some incredibly intense runs needed for platinum medals. Best single player Kart Racer ever which isn't to take away from it's great MP which I played a shit ton of also.

29. Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle (PS2)

dark-cloud-2---button-1546985170759.jpg&

Town building!! Holy shit did this series grab me by the balls with that gameplay loop of building and expanding the town and tools as a backdrop to a great JRPG. DC2 took everything about the original and just made it bigger and better! 

28. Halo 2 (Xbox)

1200px-Halo2-Cover-Large.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Yes, the sequel, not the original. Maybe a controversial choice but the sequel is what really changed the way I viewed gaming back then for one sole reason. Console online gaming. Sure it had been done before but nothing even close to the quality of Halo 2. Matchmaking, an incredible amount of modes and match types and some of the best MP maps ever. Easily my fav online console game of the generation (and the next) and probably the most influential online console game made. It changed the landscape, it's what made devs realise they can do everything they were on PC (online wise) on console too. Outside of that, there is obviously the superb Bungie fps gameplay which is still up there with the very best. The campaign may have been short but none of that mattered when I was playing online for months and months after.

27. Meta Gear Solid 3 (PS2)

mgs.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Was hard to choose 1 MGS, but if I have to then it's this one. Kojima can get bat shit crazy with this story, especially in the MGS realm, but outside of all that this game had what I consider arguably one of the best, most personal stories ever with an ending that just absolutely rocked me. Was engaged from the very first second till the gut wrenching end. Also has one of the coolest boss battles of all time (The End), in a game full of cool boss battles. My favourite MGS game and a standout of the PS2.

26. Ikaruga (GC)

ikaruga.png&f=1&nofb=1

Best arcade shoot em up game EVER. By such a long shot that it's not even worth mentioning anything else. The game only had 5 different stages but holy shit was replayability high. The absolute peak of it's genre, with no power ups and a very simple mechanic, bullets have 2 colours (black and white) and your ship has two modes (black and white). While white you can absorb the white bullets, while when black you can absorb the black bullets. That's it, but holy fuck the level design from such a simple concept was unreal. Add on top of that the idea of chaining attacks and it was pure Arcade meth. The best game on the Gamecube and an ageless treat. If you haven't played this then definitely try to.

• Like 2

Ikaraga literally LIVED on my 360. It was the one game that I would never delete no matter what. Ikaraga probably has the most addicting gameplay hook ever.

I think I put it at 20 on my list but if it had just 3 more stages it would've ranked higher. The length is the games only problem.

Yes, I'm aware I'm spelling the game wrong but I'm tired of fighting the autocorrect...

25. Super Metroid (SNES)

H2x1_SNES_SuperMetroid_image1600w.jpg&f=

As with most Nintendo games, their 2d counterpart are far better than the more modern 3d version and none could be more true than with Metroid. The game that arguably spun a new genre (with the help of Castlevania) and really gave a sense of exploration and discovery to the player. Still holds up really well and an all time classic. 

24. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

SI_Wii_SuperMarioGalaxy2_image1600w.png&

This is really a vote for both SMG games. What a series. It is absolutely amazing just how Nintendo sometimes manage to recapture the magic that was in their classics and simple recreate it in a whole new and fresh way and there is no finer example than the Super Mario Galaxy series. The best games of the Wii and the best 3d Mario....outside of one special title we will see later. 

23. Burnout 3: Takedown (PS2)

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

This game was the equivalent of THPS series but for arcade racers. Back in the PS1/PS2 era I was massively into racers and absolutely no arcade racer before or after has come close to matching Burnout 3: Takedown. With a great range of race modes and introducing the amazing Takedown mechanic that made every race feel like some James Bond car chase, Burnout 3 was simply exhilarating to play. With a sense of speed only rivaled by F-Zero GX and an abundance of content this is as good as arcade racers get. Shame what happened to the series and Criterion in more recent times. 

22. Call of Duty (PC)

Call%2Bof%2BDuty%2B1%2Bpcgamespunch.blog

It might be hard to remember now given how mainstream COD is but back when the original came out the current king was Medal of Honour. Then along came this new IP and with one single entry simply took over the WW shooter space. It brought epic set pieces that simply hadn't been seen before in other war shooter. It had a range of characters spanning multiple locations and side across the war. All tied up with terrific shooting mechanics and a range of gameplay that only expanded further with the terrific expansion. It's influence and impact also can't be understated. From the new kid on the block to the biggest gaming franchise in the world, it's all thanks to the original and the best. 

21. Okami (PS2)

okami.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

What a game and what a surprise when it first released (before Capcom decided to whore this game out on every system ever with re-release after re-release). A 'zelda game' that is better than zelda games, with a jaw dropping art style, great mix of puzzle, platforming and action and the cool Celestial Brush! Still don't know how we never got a sequel. 

28 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Ikaraga literally LIVED on my 360. It was the one game that I would never delete no matter what. Ikaraga probably has the most addicting gameplay hook ever.

I think I put it at 20 on my list but if it had just 3 more stages it would've ranked higher. The length is the games only problem.

Yes, I'm aware I'm spelling the game wrong but I'm tired of fighting the autocorrect...

Without a doubt one of the most addicting gameplay hook ever and above that it is a feast on the eyes while playing and when you're in the zone and have your timing spot on it just looks like perfect Chaos. What a fucking game.

7 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I never really played Ikaruga.  Definitely not in the time period it released.  I know it's widely regarded as one of the best of it's kind.. so perhaps I'll have to try it one of these days.

Play it dude! It is timeless, will not have aged one bit. Pretty sure it available everywhere now. Would be awesome on switch.  

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I never really played Ikaruga.  Definitely not in the time period it released.  I know it's widely regarded as one of the best of it's kind.. so perhaps I'll have to try it one of these days.

Dude, play it. After I played Ikaruga I was done with the genre and haven't touched a game from this genre since.

The reason is simple, Ikaruga is the pinnacle of the genre.

Its hook is simple but it is executed so perfectly that simple becomes elegant. The only way to make it better is if you added like 2-3 more levels to it. If you tried to add anything else or change anything else then you've ruined the elegance. The game has that Tetris-like quality to it. 

• Like 1