The CPU I plan to choose for my upcoming build

have you upgraded that Intel CPU yet?

@The Mother Fucker

No I haven't yet.  I'm having a tough time deciding on what to do.  There's the new Zen2 "XT" refreshes (replacements?) supposedly coming out which are clocked a tad higher with about 5-7% performance improvement over the "X" Zen2 lineup.  But my plan was to wait for for the 4000 series Zen3.  They still say they plan on releasing them at the end of this year, but I'm skeptical with all this corona stuff going on, as well as all the other things launching towards the end of the year.  There's also reports that the Zen3 CPUs will actually be on 5nm, which makes me want to wait for them even more.  They're supposed to offer 15-20% IPC improvement over Zen2.. which is insane.  But if they AREN'T going to release this year, then I'm going to just pull the trigger on a Zen2.  If I do that, I'll just take a look at whether or not the "X" series processors drop in price or not.  If they do, I'll probably buy one of those over the new "XT" refreshes... but if they don't really drop price, then I'll just buy the "XT" processor and call it a day.

AMD has until around September to announce whether or not the 4000 series Zen3 will release for sure this year or not.. because that's when I plan to build, since it sounds like Nvidia and AMD will both be announcing/launching their new GPUs in Sept.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

turd thread. black lives matter.

I decided to jump the gun, and give myself something to play current games on Ultra settings at 1080, and with a 120hz screen.   I can't really complain about the laptop itself - well apart

should run Switch games perfectly enhanced, day 1 

Posted Images

yeah the XT chips will be right up your alley.   The 4.8 and 4.7GHz boost for the 3900XT and 3800XT definitely got the tech web talking. I personally see these CPU refreshes only benefiting NVIDIA GPUs as my 3700X already maxes out my RX 5700XT 50th AE GPU. 

I read too about the possible ZEN3 delay, I also read about the potential 5nm die switch over for ZEN3 over the original 7nm+ plan.  This is due to TSMC having 5nm slots available with Huawei being blocked and this panademic screwing up a lot of it's partners not buying 5nm as planned so they offered it AMD early and they jumped at the chance.   

If ZEN3 goes 5nm I expect we won't see it to 2021 and AMD what we see selling this year will probably be what was going to be bases for the original planned ZEN3 higher clocked 7nm CPUs as these XT refreshes. 

I want to build another ZEN+ Threadripper now that have an extra X399 motherboard. 

22 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

yeah the XT chips will be right up your alley.   The 4.8 and 4.7GHz boost for the 3900XT and 3800XT definitely got the tech web talking. I personally see these CPU refreshes only benefiting NVIDIA GPUs as my 3700X already maxes out my RX 5700XT 50th AE GPU. 

I read too about the possible ZEN3 delay, I also read about the potential 5nm die switch over for ZEN3 over the original 7nm+ plan.  This is due to TSMC having 5nm slots available with Huawei being blocked and this panademic screwing up a lot of it's partners not buying 5nm as planned so they offered it AMD early and they jumped at the chance.   

If ZEN3 goes 5nm I expect we won't see it to 2021 and AMD what we see selling this year will probably be what was going to be bases for the original planned ZEN3 higher clocked 7nm CPUs as these XT refreshes. 

I want to build another ZEN+ Threadripper now that have an extra X399 motherboard. 

Big Navi will be announced in September, so those CPUs wont only benefit Nvidia for long ;) 

Yea, about the Zen3 that's basically what I'm thinking.  It will likely be delayed to 2021.  So unless I hear from AMD by September that launch is still a go for the end of this year, then I'll probably pic up the Zen2 refresh.  I kinda think Zen2 is being refreshed specifically because Zen3 wont release this year... but who knows?

Either way, an x570 will work for both, so if I buy a Zen2 now and the new CPUs are particularly awesome, then I could always swap it out later.

Edited by Remij_

I decided to jump the gun, and give myself something to play current games on Ultra settings at 1080, and with a 120hz screen.

I can't really complain about the laptop itself - well apart from the speakers, the sound 'tinny'; as it handles everything I'm throwing at it, and is a massive jump from my previous one with only a 1050GTX.

Specs:

specs.jpg.729ced4fc1808b7cfbcc528cea5de5e4.jpg

As for what comes down the pipeline, well I fully expect that to be disrupted, delayed and therefor the thought that I would upgrade in the fall was re-visited. I decided to just spend the $1200 (along with another $200 to upgrade ram (+8GB), and another SSD (1TB [1.5TB total]),  for this laptop, and it would suffice.

A) I'm not a fan of being a first gen tech adopter, the 2nd reiteration is far better in terms of performance, and value for cost. It also gives the developer's (and more developers & teams) experience & time to get accustomed to the new technologies available to them.

B) As a Hermit, I don't think I've ever bought the top of the line CPU/GPU when they became available. I typically did that for the cooling, memory, and storage, but they weren't necessarily the most expensive, just best rated.

Edited by Teh_Diplomat
  • Like 1
Just now, Teh_Diplomat said:

Oh and BTW, after getting used to the experience of 120 refresh rate, and purely solid-state drives; I could never go back :D :facep: 

I've been saying this for a long time.  People like Jon and Dynamite think that I'm saying it just because consoles will be seeing more 60fps games now and that it's "good enough"... lmao.. no 

Once you get used to 120+... there's no going back.  And to be clear, that's not me saying 60fps games aren't fine... they are, especially if they are pushing visuals... but I'm talking about having a display that can actually show all those frames, the lower input lag, and smoother response.  It's very noticeable from 60 to 120/144/165.  

The option to be able to choose on a per game basis whether you want those frames, or better image quality is one of the best things about PC.  Playing Ori 2 on PC at 165hz, especially after the latest patch is just sooo much better than 60fps.

22 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Oh and BTW, after getting used to the experience of 120 refresh rate, and purely solid-state drives; I could never go back :D :facep: 

120fps with a 1660ti....I guess you play nerd games like Dota or whatever.

18 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I've been saying this for a long time.  People like Jon and Dynamite think that I'm saying it just because consoles will be seeing more 60fps games now and that it's "good enough"... lmao.. no 

Once you get used to 120+... there's no going back.  And to be clear, that's not me saying 60fps games aren't fine... they are, especially if they are pushing visuals... but I'm talking about having a display that can actually show all those frames, the lower input lag, and smoother response.  It's very noticeable from 60 to 120/144/165.  

The option to be able to choose on a per game basis whether you want those frames, or better image quality is one of the best things about PC.  Playing Ori 2 on PC at 165hz, especially after the latest patch is just sooo much better than 60fps.

lmao you still have 3 monitors? 

Just now, Remij_ said:

What the fuck are you talking about "3 monitors" lol what did I say that gave you that impression?

when you said you had 3 monitors