The CPU I plan to choose for my upcoming build

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

turd thread. black lives matter.

I decided to jump the gun, and give myself something to play current games on Ultra settings at 1080, and with a 120hz screen.   I can't really complain about the laptop itself - well apart

should run Switch games perfectly enhanced, day 1 

Posted Images

Is this now the best value-for-your-money gaming monitor there is?

LG - UltraGear 27" IPS LED QHD FreeSync and G-SYNC Compatable Monitor with HDR - Black

Model:27GN850-B
SKU:6401809

$449.99Your price for this item is $449.99
free Shipping: Get it by Tue, Jun 9

6401809_sd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1

6401809_bd.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth=1

6401809cv12d.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth

6401809cv14d.jpg;maxHeight=1000;maxWidth

Spot snipers easily with this 27-inch black LG UltraGear QHD gaming monitor. The nano IPS display uses nanometer-size particles to enhance color fidelity during tournaments, while the 1 ms response time and 144Hz refresh rate provide smooth gameplay. This LG UltraGear QHD gaming monitor features NVIDIA G-SYNC and AMD FreeSync to minimize screen tearing for lag-free performance, and the three-side borderless design immerses you in the action.

27" Nano IPS LED monitor

The efficient screen type uses LEDs to provide precise backlighting to pixels.

178° horizontal and vertical viewing angles

Allow you to view the screen from a wide range of angles.

Gain an edge with NVIDIA G-SYNC compatibility

Never miss a frame of the action as you clinch your victories with lag-free refresh rates.

FreeSync technology

Adaptive synchronization technology that matches the frame rate of the monitor to any compatible AMD graphics card.

350 cd/m² brightness

Produces bright images that can clearly be seen even in well-lit rooms.

HDMI and DisplayPort inputs

Allow you to set up DVD players and other AV sources for a clear, high-quality audio and video signal.

1,000:1 contrast ratio

Ensures images are crisp and clear with deep blacks and bright highlights.

2K Quad HD 2560 x 1440 resolution

Expand your gaming performance in line with the power of your graphics card.

HDR10 (High Dynamic Range)

Brings new worlds to life with an experience that surpasses reality.

1 ms response time

Delivers ultrafast performance for precise gaming and video work.

144Hz refresh rate

Delivers powerful performance so that you can get the most out of your games and videos.

Best Buy is currently selling them online, but not in store.

So, my deal is, for PC gaming......I don't want a 32" monitor, that's just ridiculous. 27 inches is about the most I would allow. I plan on buying at least a RTX 3070 video card. That doesn't necessarily ensure that I will be able to play the next 5 years of high-end PC games at 4K resolution. if the goal is to always try to hit 60fps for PC gaming, we don't know if those rumors of DLSS 3.0 being a significant huge upgrade are true or not. So I'm kinda of thinking that a 1440p is probably the most practical choice.

This is an IPS display. Now, I used to think that was a big deal, but ultimately VA displays can have better dark contrast, and viewing angles don't really matter for PC gaming if you are always going to be sitting  in the same exact spot when using the computer.  Also I worry about color ghosting, so I may want to wait for some youtube reviewers to get their hands on this monitor and test it out.

Its got HDR, but brightness is at 350 nits

Apparently its the same panel as the LG 27GL850-B, except that monitor comes with a USB-hub built-in and its supposed to cost $499.99, but is sold out everywhere, and other stores are selling it for $699

Its also the same panel as the LG 27GL83A-B, except that panel comes with a more-natural sRGP color gamut (which some people may prefer), but that monitor is also sold out, or selling above its original price (around $570 online)

I'm thinking I need to jump on this one right now at Best Buy, and if I see a better monitor deal within the next 30 days, I'll just return this one back.

This monitor is G-sync "compatible". That means it doesn't have an actual G-sync module in it. It can do 48Hz to 144Hz.

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

Wouldn't buy with that "hdr"

I think this is why I am looking for a VA panel, because IPS panels are backlit, and therefore it will never have good dark blacks when playing games. And that's the only way HDR can shine is if its paired with deep black contrast.

Apparently a VA panel is the halfway point between the cheap TN panels and IPS panels.

But these thing sell out, and immediately get $200 more expensive at re-sale. I'm waiting for Dell to see if they are coming out with anything new, or their Alienware brand.

6 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah sure then he might as well get a dual core and a 7800gt while hes at it :|.....:D

The fact that they still make TN panels is baffling.

Agreed, TN panels were good in 2012 but its time for better image quality and refresh rates.

So I've been looking around and man... there's NOTHING in stock anywhere right now.  There's plenty of Ryzen CPUs, but x570 motherboards are all out of stock or MASSIVELY overpriced. :D 

10 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

So I've been looking around and man... there's NOTHING in stock anywhere right now.  There's plenty of Ryzen CPUs, but x570 motherboards are all out of stock or MASSIVELY overpriced. :D 

Call this guy up and find out if his listing is legit. 

https://www.acrossfly.com/products/socket-at--meg-ace-msi-amd----570--570-motherboard-with-am4

That price alarmingly cheap for a 1st tier type MSI X570 board.  

So I said fuck it and bought

Ryzen 3900x CPU

Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 MOBO

32GB G.Skill 3600mhz CL16 RAM

I'm looking for a new case too, but everything should be here by the 9th.  I might just keep using the case I have though.

11 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Why not wait for the B550 mobos? I heard that MSI was making a promise to fix their overclocking functionality in the new B550 mobos because it was crap on their previous mobos.

Yea, I was thinking about that too.  Motherboards are the one thing that I'd never really go higher than midrange for.  As long as the VRMS are good quality, and there's a decent amount of I/O ports for what I need, I'm happy, as my days of really overclocking hard are past me.  After mid-range you're pretty much just paying for luxuries which I wouldn't even make use of.  B550's would have been good as well, but many of them are apparently already selling at higher prices than some x570 boards I've heard.

It basically came down to availability, The CPU's are like $100 off right now in Canada which is great, but tons of boards are either incredibly overpriced or out of stock completely.  So getting the board I did at the price I did seemed alright to me.  Same situation with RAM.  Ryzen is sensitive to RAM speeds and timings due to the Infinity Fabric of the CPU and can see some pretty good gains with tight timings and high clocks.   I got some good fast RAM with CL16 and the price wasn't too crazy.  RAM is sold out like crazy too.  I figured this board and RAM combo should do pretty well, although I'm gonna have to experiment quite a bit since I'm new to Ryzen overclocking.

It would have been better to wait probably, but Ryzen CPUs are selling like crazy and I have no faith that if/when Zen 3 releases they wont be immediately gone and price gouged.  Ryzen is way too popular atm and boards and RAM are all being bought up so I basically seized the moment.

I was strongly thinking of going with a 3700x 8-core CPU, which I'm sure would be fine for my purposes, but I wanted a few extra cores in the chance that the late generation higher end next gen games require a few more cores for decompressing assets and what have you.