The PlayStation 5 doesn't exhibit any evidence of VRS (Variable Rate Shading)

Digital Foundry claims "While the jury is still out in the absence of higher quality assets, what we've seen so far across the board shows little to no evidence of the use of variable rate shading - a technique Microsoft is championing as a key efficiency driver in next-gen rendering."

Given Sony's CU count and memory bandwidth I'm still leaning hard into them using an RDNA 1.0 GPU akin to the RX 5700 combining its hardware with features of RDNA 2. VRS is an RDNA 2 standard feature and Microsoft's system most assuredly has support for it yet nothing shown from Sony exhibits its usage which leads me to believe it wasn't something Sony opted for.

This is similar to what Sony did with the PlayStation 4 Pro where they used a Polaris GPU with features from the upcoming Vega architecture such as Rapid Packed Math. What seems clear in all of this is Sony started physical development of their hardware before Microsoft. From what I can surmise they intended on releasing in 2019 but ran into the cooling problems which have been so widely talked about; enter the largest console ever created.

A 2019 release and earlier development start would have allowed them an RDNA 1.0 GPU with some features of 2.0, but not the ability for a full fledged 2.0 GPU which absolutely explains the absence of VRS.

Moral of the story? Microsoft's GPU is through and through RDNA 2.0 and Sony's is a frankenstein of 1.0 and 2.0.

7dtto9S.png

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

Why would it use VRS its an on the fly image downgrade similiar dynamic resolution. Its like expecting all games to have dynamic resolution scaling. Its not a universal technique devs will use. 

And out of the dozen or so games shown not one was using it? Coincidence or lack of hardware support? I'm leaning on the latter. 

Just now, DynamiteCop said:

And out of the dozen or so games shown not one was using it? Coincidence or lack of hardware support? I'm leaning on the latter. 

It means nothing I think COD engine uses a software version. Its a standard RDNa2 feature. Its just another on the fly degradation technique that has extremely varying results in one scene it can boost FPS by 10 percent in another 30 making it a choice by devs depending on their gains. Check the Gears Tactics DF video PC, its gives questionable results in some scenes. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

Why would it use VRS its an on the fly image downgrade similiar dynamic resolution. Its like expecting all games to have dynamic resolution scaling. Its not a universal technique devs will use. 

Aza hit the nail on the head. 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Aza hit the nail on the head. 

Not really...

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop said:

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

Not really...

Bro your OP is a full on lemming fan fic talking about they wanted to launch in 2019 but ran into cooling issues and pushed it back to fall 2020 etc

and now you're saying because launch games and pre releases trailers for games that are still 6 months to 18 months out and they don't show VRS a technique that is not needed for every game, you somehow jumped to the conclusion that PS5 doesn't support it? :mj:

2 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Bro your OP is a full on lemming fan fic talking about they wanted to launch in 2019 but ran into cooling issues and pushed it back to fall 2020 etc

and now you're saying because launch games and pre releases trailers for games that are still 6 months to 18 months out and they don't show VRS a technique that is not needed for every game, you somehow jumped to the conclusion that PS5 doesn't support it? :mj:

You know what you dumb bitch, stop acting like you haven't been paying attention to all of this. 

It seems to be a pretty universally agreed upon theory that the system was in physical development before Microsoft's. This is backed up by developer and industry talk of when development kits were circulated and their varying states. To add to this a delay seems rather likely given the talk of continual cooling issues well before any kind of frequencies were ever uncovered, this is now obviously vindicated as valid given the frequencies and the extremely large form factor of the system. Aza also pointed out from some people there were issues with backward compatibility which needed to be worked out before release, he said this well into last year and given Sony's own statements on backward compatibility this appears to yet again stand up to criticism. 

Everything points to Sony starting principal hardware development before Microsoft, everything points to there being cooling issues which needed to be worked out, everything points to backward compatibility issues which needed to be rectified, and everything points to this being an RDNA 1.0/2.0 hybrid GPU.

36 CU's, 448GB/s for memory bandwidth, the frequency itself, and now a lack of any displayed properties of VRS in any game which has been shown for the system. 

Take your ass back to the dumpster you piece of absolute trash. 

I'm pretty sure PS5 will have VRS.  It's not going to be used in every game.. especially at the start.  A lot of devs already have their own temporal upscaling methods and will stick with that in the beginning.

I wouldn't look too much into it just yet.

Edited by Remij_
11 minutes ago, They Laugh At Us 2 8.0'd said:

it's got TRS in TLOU2 though

(TrannyRateShading)

Didn't you get Twinblades warning message saying that we can't talk about trannies or golf on the site until TLOU2 has released and people have played it? :wonder: 

Edited by Remij_
1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Didn't you get Twinblades warning message saying that we can't talk about trannies or golf on the site until TLOU2 has released and people have played it? :wonder: 

It's time for twinblade to be banned @Cookester15 I've had enough of this harassment bullshit. I'm a very busy man and don't have time for this juvenile shit, a ban DESERVES to be handed out.

@Cookester15 Ban TwinCade for 2 months or face an uprising backlash.

Edited by They Laugh At Us 2 8.0'd
7 minutes ago, They Laugh At Us 2 8.0'd said:

It's time for twinblade to be banned @Cookester15 I've had enough of this harassment bullshit. I'm a very busy man and don't have time for this juvenile shit, a ban DESERVES to be handed out.

@Cookester15 Ban TwinCade for 2 months or face an uprising backlash.

This place is turning into the discord, trash.

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop said:

This place is turning into the discord, trash.

BodyCLIT (Not even the real one btw, the one with big boobs died or something) will in fact start a GGLM (GAY GAMER LIVES MATTER) and we will tarnish this place.

Edited by Substatic