Godlo Infinite Tech preview impressions

This shit is awesome.  It's fun as hell.  Basically the perfect fusion of Halo 3 and Halo 5 imo.

All 3 maps so far are awesome too.  Really well designed and packed with awesome sightlines.  And the sound of the weapons and explosions is awesome.  The OST is also absolutely incredible.  :wow2: 

20210731185121-1.jpg

So.. it's definitely FUN... but.. of course there's plenty of issues.

First of all, I don't like the UI at all in this preview build.  The design is ok... but it's a little on the bland side, and it's just REALLY unpolished in this build.  Adjusting certain things in the UI is janky... like adjusting the resolution slider.  You can adjust it in increments of 1%... and as you slide the slider it updates in real-time, but it flashes constantly while you're doing it lol..  Amateur shit like that.  I've seen an updated build video which looks better though, so I'm guessing it's just this tech preview build which is old now... but I'm definitely hoping they polish that shit up for release.  A lot of them are admittedly minor... but still.

There's also the fact that the game currently doesn't use more than 60% of the GPU at normal resolutions.. and CPU utilization is also extremely low.  Running maxed out resolution at 7680x3200 and my utilization is still only around 70%.. so it's leaving tons of performance on the table.  There's definitely some bug in the way of allowing the game to utilize the entire GPU, so framerates are lower than expected, and it doesn't help really no matter how low you set the visuals.. because then it just uses less GPU lmao.

So, yea, I'm honestly really impressed with this because as far as the game itself... it's fun as hell and feels perfect.  The only issues I really have are UI related stuff, and performance not being where it should be.  It's obviously just a tech preview though and optimization comes at the end, so all that will improve.

I will say though... there's absolutely NO WAY they were EVER going to release Halo Infinite at the launch of the Series X/S.  They were obviously WAY behind.  I don't believe for one second they ever actually had the intention of releasing it at launch, but just ran with that to keep Xbox fans placated for as long as they could.  E3 then gave them the excuse they needed.

Game is still going to be godly though :glad: 

Edited by Remij
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is like a pig leaving a good review for a puddle of mud. We know it's destined to flop. 

you know that PC gamers are absolutely desperate when they are now running into the arms of Halo as their main PC first-person shooter savior. Not only does that game destroy those objects more

no, you're talking about your future prospects of playing any remotely popular first-person shooter.   Master Chief has you.  And you don't have much of anything else. lol

Posted Images

then something is obviously causing it to be CPU limited, if its not "utilizing GPU resources" to its fullest extent.

its not going to fully use GPU resources because its primarily designed to run on Xbox One systems, and then merely up-ported.

I will say from the short video clip I saw a few days ago, the sound effects of the weapons and nearby explosions sound really satisfying, I remembered that one thing that I thought Halo separates itself from other shooters.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

then something is obviously causing it to be CPU limited, if its not "utilizing GPU resources" to its fullest extent.

its not going to fully use GPU resources because its primarily designed to run on Xbox One systems, and then merely up-ported.

I will say from the short video clip I saw a few days ago, the sound effects of the weapons and nearby explosions sound really satisfying, I remembered that one thing that I thought Halo separates itself from other shooters.

That's not true... because as I said, even increasing the resolution to ludicrous levels would easily max out the GPU usage regardless of the CPU usage.

There's definitely a GPU occupancy related bottleneck not allowing the game to max out the GPU usage.  I'm sure it will be addressed and optimized by launch.

Edited by Remij
15 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I just looked this up, its just a single mode where you fight a handful of bots with like 3 other players? hardly exciting.

It's exciting.. because the gameplay feels perfect, and the maps are legitimately great :wow2: 

Godlo is back :aitch:

Edited by Remij
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

There is literally no way you can come to that conclusion without playing against real players first.

Sure I can, the game's feel isn't going to change shooting against real players vs bots...

The movement feels perfect, the aiming feels right after a couple adjustments, and the maps are all awesome so far. 

That's the most important thing at this point.

Just now, Remij said:

Sure I can, the game's feel isn't going to change shooting against real players vs bots...

The movement feels perfect, the aiming feels right after a couple adjustments, and the maps are all awesome so far. 

That's the most important thing at this point.

Weapon balancing, map balance (potential spawn camping, or combat areas that favor a specific side) are things that won't be noticeable until real players play against each other.

2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Weapon balancing, map balance (potential spawn camping, or combat areas that favor a specific side) are things that won't be noticeable until real players play against each other.

All that shit can be adjusted, and will be.

The most important thing is that the game FEELS right.. and that's the point of this tech preview.  Find bugs, adjust bot difficulty, and test out maps in that capacity.

There will be a PvP preview before launch I'm sure as well.

2 hours ago, Substatic said:

Game of the Forever

you know that PC gamers are absolutely desperate when they are now running into the arms of Halo as their main PC first-person shooter savior.:drake:

5 hours ago, Boundless said:

Why'd you leave this info out?

Not only does that game destroy those objects more realistically, it actually produces bullet holes in those wooden crates, as well.

• NPC 1
11 hours ago, jehurey said:

you know that PC gamers are absolutely desperate  

Jealousy.  Don't worry PC will be 1st place this gen too while you wish your system of choice  had Halo (The God of FPS).

Edited by Substatic