Additional PSVR2 screen details

DSCC Report shares new info on Playstation VR 2. - 800 Pixels-Per-Inch (PSVR1 193PPI, Quest 2 200-300PPI) and is set to be the most pixel dense VR Headset. - RGB Stripe Direct OLED Other Notes: - The PS VR2 is expected to launch in 2022 - Could be smaller and lighter

The PS VR2 display will be more than twice as pixel-dense as the Quest 2

• Like 1

They will have the games and one of the best headset out there. It's going to be incredible.

Really sucks that I'm a broke ass student. I won't be able to afford a PS5 and the PSVR2 in one purchase. 

Oh well.

• Ben 1

:bate: Sounds like it will be glorious. I seriously can't wait for this.

They aren't playing around this time. They've got one of the best headsets in the market and they finally have competent hardware that can take advantage of it. PSVR2 is definitely going to be leading the way in high end VR for some time.

Hopefully it gets some kind of PC support because I would like to use it to play some of  my VR games on Steam. If it doesn't get official support though I'm sure someone will create some third party driver support like they did with the original PSVR.

Edited by FIREPOWER
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

their product page went up, and it has slightly more details.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-vr2/

I think this confirms eye-tracking foveated rendering, the way its worded here:

Eye tracking

Interact in new and lifelike ways, as the PS VR2 headset detects the motion of your eyes1, allowing for heightened emotional response and enhanced expression when meeting fellow players online.

Eye tracking cameras follow your line of sight when aiming or looking around, while advanced foveated rendering techniques improve the visual experience by adjusting resolutions to pinpoint and enhance whatever you’re focusing on.

"adjusting resolutions to pinpoint and enhance what you're focusing on"

this would make it seem that the foveated rendering doesn't just sit at the center of the lens, if your eyes move off-center to focus somewhere else, it adjust the resolution in that area with the eye-tracking.

this will be a terrific headset.

Edited by jehurey
19 hours ago, jehurey said:

their product page went up, and it has slightly more details.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps-vr2/

I think this confirms eye-tracking foveated rendering, the way its worded here:

It also confirms you were DEAD WRONG about the controller having finger tracking...

It's exactly as I said... it's like the Oculus Touch controllers and uses capacitive sensors to detect when your fingers are close to a button and not pressing them.  Digital foundry even confirmed as much..

12:30

I remember your dumbass thinking that this was going to be like the Index controllers and feature full finger tracking and arguing with me about it when you had no fucking idea what you were talking about :mj:

I mean... there's even a fucking grip button on the controllers... :hest: why would they need a grip button if the actual controller itself can track your fingers and sense when you're squeezing :drake:

Just ANOTHER thing in a long ass list of things that you got wrong :tom:

8 minutes ago, Remij said:

It also confirms you were DEAD WRONG about the controller having finger tracking...

It's exactly as I said... it's like the Oculus Touch controllers and uses capacitive sensors to detect when your fingers are close to a button and not pressing them.  Digital foundry even confirmed as much..

12:30

I remember your dumbass thinking that this was going to be like the Index controllers and feature full finger tracking and arguing with me about it when you had no fucking idea what you were talking about :mj:

I mean... there's even a fucking grip button on the controllers... :hest: why would they need a grip button if the actual controller itself can track your fingers and sense when you're squeezing :drake:

Just ANOTHER thing in a long ass list of things that you got wrong :tom:

:drake: look at his butthurt continue through the weekend.

you've been losing so badly, that look how hard you're trying to celebrate this.

i love it when you give away how desperate you truly are for any sort of victory. LOL

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Carlos Vela said:

Double the resolution of Quest 2

The Quest 2, ultimately, has roughly 7 million pixels.

This PSVR2 is delivering a little over 4 million pixels per eye, so 8 million pixels total.

So how are they able to get the PPI that drastically higher? Unless they are using smaller OLED screens that are packing those pixels tighter.

BUT, if they are producing a small screen area, how are they going to deliver you the 110 degree FOV?

Unless they move those screens closer to your eyes.

15 minutes ago, jehurey said:

The Quest 2, ultimately, has roughly 7 million pixels.

This PSVR2 is delivering a little over 4 million pixels per eye, so 8 million pixels total.

So how are they able to get the PPI that drastically higher? Unless they are using smaller OLED screens that are packing those pixels tighter.

BUT, if they are producing a small screen area, how are they going to deliver you the 110 degree FOV?

Unless they move those screens closer to your eyes.

Oh I got the quest and quest 2 resolutions mixed up 

58 minutes ago, Carlos Vela said:

Why the fuck is nobody else using OLED.

LcD is whack 

Compromises of course.  Biggest thing is cost.  Devices like the Quest2 also have to, you know, have the processing done in the headset.. so they have to cut where they can to make it mass market friendly, so it makes sense there.

Screen size is another factor.. you can get a bigger screen for the same cost.. wider fov, higher refreshrates, ect.

There's lots of little reasons.. but we'll have to see what Sony prices the PSVR2 at.  In VR, OLED is definitely preferred.  The headset is entirely enclosed, and thus the lack of contrast is more apparent than it would be watching a TV in a room with some ambient lighting.

They'll all get there eventually, as the costs come down and headset designs get better.  As Jehurey said, by designing the headset so the display is as close to your eyes as possible, allows them to provide wider FOVs and get more bang vs buck from their smaller OLED displays.