Rumor: Switch 2 details, expected release date in 2023, as fast as the PS4, with DLSS and 4K at 30 FPS

2 hours ago, Goukosan said:

Switch is a dedicated gaming device, a phone is multi media device, taking pictures, recording videos and watching UHD content.  You're not doing that on Switch doofus. 

They will be able to create better looking games with more available headroom left over, with better battery life etc... And hit the native res on the screen. 

Than going after 1080p in portable mode for worse battery life, less resources for a slightly better res at 7 inches and not hit native res as often. 

Even the deck is in that 720 to 800p range. 

Every reputable leak so far has said 720p - 800p portable but who knows.

After looking at these 1080p handheld PCs I agree, it just doesn't seem worth it considering the performance and battery hit the devices takes. 720p or a little higher is still fine for a small screen. Steamdeck looks ultra sharp at just 800p.

The only thing I would say is that it does need to be able to handle 1080p for output to a tv. 720 looks awful on modern 4ktvs.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That 1080p screen at 7 inches makes this rumor a fake.    That's a waste of extra resources for no tangible benefit at that screen size.      The Switch 2 specs from a SOC standpoint al

It's going to be a hybrid console and I can guarantee you that the image quality will be better than the PS4 pro.  It's going to have a more modern SOC and at least 10gigs of ram.  I don't think it wi

I assume it will be another hybrid console. I just don't think it'll be anywhere near the performance sheep are imagining. We go through this every fucking time. Also we know what a PS4 handheld looks

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Cooke said:

If we have 2k phones playing somewhat graphically intensive games for years now why wouldn't the switch 2 have 1080p? Not saying i care all that much but it's definitely feasible 

Because it is cheaper and Nintendo is an extremely cheap company.

Kinda like how the Switch didn't have optical audio input, and even though I can do Dolby Digital passthrough with my tv with the PS5 and get 5.1 or DTS with HDMI, the Switch can't because Nintendo is too cheap to license Dolby. Instead they try to play it as it does "superior" uncompressed PCM. Yeah, as if those tiny carts have enough space to have those uncompressed audio files.

8 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Kinda like how the Switch didn't have optical audio input, and even though I can do Dolby Digital passthrough with my tv with the PS5 and get 5.1 or DTS with HDMI, the Switch can't because Nintendo is too cheap to license Dolby. Instead they try to play it as it does "superior" uncompressed PCM. Yeah, as if those tiny carts have enough space to have those uncompressed audio files.

There are tons of Switch games that support 5.1 uncompressed lossless LPCM audio.    Check the features sections on the Box or on the game listing on the E-shop. 

36 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

After looking at these 1080p handheld PCs I agree, it just doesn't seem worth it considering the performance and battery hit the devices takes. 720p or a little higher is still fine for a small screen. Steamdeck looks ultra sharp at just 800p.

The only thing I would say is that it does need to be able to handle 1080p for output to a tv. 720 looks awful on modern 4ktvs.

The current switch does 1080p max on a TV.  The Switch 2 will surpass that output threshold while docked.  But yes games that aren't outputting 720p doesn't scale well onn 4K TVs.   The reconstruction method used on big Switch games now solves that as the final output scales better. 

Docking doesn't have the battery life constraints or the small screens constraints as the handheld mode, so I expect Switch 2 max res on TV to be above 1080p.

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

The current switch does 1080p max on a TV.  The Switch 2 will surpass that output threshold while docked.  But yes games that aren't outputting 720p doesn't scale well onn 4K TVs.   The reconstruction method used on big Switch games now solves that as the final output scales better. 

Docking doesn't have the battery life constraints or the small screens constraints as the handheld mode, so I expect Switch 2 max res on TV to be above 1080p.

For sure it can output it but will the games be running it is the question. I can forsee a lot going for 900p.

11 hours ago, lostfool said:

It's going to be a hybrid console and I can guarantee you that the image quality will be better than the PS4 pro.  It's going to have a more modern SOC and at least 10gigs of ram.  I don't think it will be 16 like leak says because I think that is a dev kit spec.  

I assume it will be another hybrid console. I just don't think it'll be anywhere near the performance sheep are imagining. We go through this every fucking time. Also we know what a PS4 handheld looks like, it's the Steam Deck. Nintendo will want a smaller more durable design, with better battery life and less active cooling. They might be working with a SOC comparable to PS4 on paper, but it'll be down clocked well below that spec.

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

For reference PS5 is 200 watts this will probably be 15. Steamdeck is twice the size of Switch. Keep expectations in check.

And also just look at the last 10 years of Nintendo game development. Obviously they can make good games without cutting edge features, but they are being upstaged by small teams now. We'll be lucky if Nintendo's next generation can compete with something like Kena Bridge of Spirits.

They're so far behind

NSwitch_Pikmin4_25.jpg

Kena-Bridge-of-Spirits.jpg

14 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

Metroid dread and prime are 5.1

16 hours ago, TLHBO said:

For sure it can output it but will the games be running it is the question. I can forsee a lot going for 900p.

You're referring to Switch 2 or Switch 1?

Switch one launched with 900p and 1080 games 7 years ago.. Switch 2 will easily surpass that. 

14 hours ago, sugarhigh said:

I assume it will be another hybrid console. I just don't think it'll be anywhere near the performance sheep are imagining. We go through this every fucking time. Also we know what a PS4 handheld looks like, it's the Steam Deck. Nintendo will want a smaller more durable design, with better battery life and less active cooling. They might be working with a SOC comparable to PS4 on paper, but it'll be down clocked well below that spec.

Unfortunately for you that SOC from the Nvidia files is better than Steam Deck :umad:

Edited by Goukosan