The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)

50 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

Man, I’m enjoying your breakdown :smoke: What watt mode are you playing on? 

I had to go up to the Turbo (25w) mode. I did get a firmware update right after I stopped playing, it might be the one that improved performance in the lower wattage modes. So ill have to go back and test it again.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just ran into a pretty big issue while playing the Front Mission demo. When you start a new game, you have to enter in your pilot's name. However, I couldn't for the life of me bring up the keyboard

Windows is not up to the task.

BF2042 looks surprisingly sharp on medium settings, and it consistently runs between 40-60FPS at 25w. Impressive given its scale, and even when there's a lot going on it doesn't dip far below that (th

Posted Images

@RemijIm only now finding out about the RSR feature which is basically like a driver-level version of FSR. I wonder how this compares to regular FSR/DLSS. Will play around with it a bit

If the game you’re playing doesn’t support FSR, you have another option up your sleeve: Radeon Super Resolution, or RSR. 

RSR works a bit differently than FSR, but ultimately serves the same purpose: it’ll render your games at a lower resolution, then scale them up to the native resolution of your display (in this case, 1080p). While the latest version of FSR is a bit more advanced, RSR has one big advantage: it's a driver feature, not a game feature, so you can use it with many more games. So even if your game doesn’t have FSR, you can turn RSR on and get a nice boost in performance, with graphics that still look nicer than lower resolutions would. 

To enable RSR, you’ll first want to set the game in question to run at a lower resolution. Open the game, navigate to its Display or Graphics settings, set the game to run in Full Screen mode, and lower the resolution to 1280x720. Then, exit the game, open the Command Center, and toggle AMD RSR on. Re-launch the game, and enjoy! Even though the game still says it’s running at 720p, the AMD driver will automatically scale it up to 1080p, giving you sharper graphics and better performance. 

You can also enable RSR in the AMD software, as seen above, and adjust the level of sharpening to your taste. The AMD software even allows you to enable RSR automatically on a game-by-game basis automatically. 

Note that this only affects games that run at lower resolution. So any games you set to run at 1080p in their graphics settings will be unaffected, showing a yellow exclamation point next to RSR in the AMD pop-up. This is the intended behavior—when you run a game at 1080p, RSR will not upscale it, since there’s no need to upscale. 

5 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

@RemijIm only now finding out about the RSR feature which is basically like a driver-level version of FSR. I wonder how this compares to regular FSR/DLSS. Will play around with it a bit

Nice.  I honestly had no idea that was a thing either!

I'd love for you to take some screenshots if you wouldn't mind.. also a couple comparisons between FSR and RSR would be cool 😊

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Remij said:

Nice.  I honestly had no idea that was a thing either!

I'd love for you to take some screenshots if you wouldn't mind.. also a couple comparisons between FSR and RSR would be cool 😊

Ill try again later but I took some off screen pics of Requiem and they came out pretty bad. Didn't do the visuals justice at all.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

Ill try again later but I took some off screen pics of Requiem and they came out pretty bad. Didn't do the visuals justice at all.

Oh I'm well aware of that.. lol.  Why are you taking offscreen pics?  Just bind F12 to a button you're not using and use Steam's screenshot feature lol

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Man Windows is still such a pain on these devices. I logged in with the same MS account I use on my desktop, and of course MS decides to sync all the shit on there and my onedrive, without even asking me first

But just navigating the UI is a pain. In some menus and screens the cursor just disappears and you can no longer use the A button to accept anything. So you have to constantly toggle back and forth between using the buttons and the touchscreen itself.

They love forcing their shit on you, because then they have your data in the cloud and you're automatically enrolled into their ecosystem.

Its one of the things I hated about windows. You pay for the PC and Microsoft decides it now controls that PC and makes itself the system admin. They can suck a dick.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

It's worse than ever with Gamepass. Accessing installed game content requires higher privileges than admin. That shouldn't be a thing!

sorry for coming off noobish, but what does that mean? i haven't done PC-gaming, on the regular, since windows 7 lol. i would just hit the game shortcut and it would fire up.

22 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

sorry for coming off noobish, but what does that mean? i haven't done PC-gaming, on the regular, since windows 7 lol. i would just hit the game shortcut and it would fire up.

I have no idea what sugarhigh is talking about 

what I will say is that for some reason I don’t seem to have access to gamepass on my ally. The Xbox app is telling me to sign up for a paid sub, so I have to do some research to see how to go about claiming the 3 free months it comes with.

29 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

You can't browse the files stored in a gamepass install directory.

6 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

You can't browse the files stored in a gamepass install directory.

:lawl:

You're not allowed to browse THEIR files, but they will gladly put shit on your computer you never asked for, force you to use their apps, and ship you broken untested updates.

Microsoft is such trash I can't think of a worse tech company.

I took these screenshots using the built in screenshot utility, but they still don't look great. Im not sure why they came out so blurry, but the game looks much sharper when you're actually playing it

Requiem1.thumb.jpg.689641a4b6606195567457fc75c946b1.jpg

Requiem2.thumb.jpg.6864e79ca40169dabe9205b1093394df.jpg

I was getting an average of 35-44FPS on medium on the 25w mode. 15w mode is playable though, the FPS was anywhere from 28-37 but It never dropped below 28, so the game is still playable if you want to save some battery.

I could have cranked a few settings to high in the turbo mode but im still playing around with things. Also, the RSR super resolution feature is on by default. So there doesn't seem to be a reason to ever choose 1080p for any game, because behind the scenes the image is already being upscaled to 1080p from 720p.

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

I took these screenshots using the built in screenshot utility, but they still don't look great. Im not sure why they came out so blurry, but the game looks much sharper when you're actually playing it

Requiem1.thumb.jpg.689641a4b6606195567457fc75c946b1.jpg

Requiem2.thumb.jpg.6864e79ca40169dabe9205b1093394df.jpg

I was getting an average of 35-44FPS on medium on the 25w mode. 15w mode is playable though, the FPS was anywhere from 28-37 but It never dropped below 28, so the game is still playable if you want to save some battery.

I could have cranked a few settings to high in the turbo mode but im still playing around with things. Also, the RSR super resolution feature is on by default. So there doesn't seem to be a reason to ever choose 1080p for any game, because behind the scenes the image is already being upscaled to 1080p from 720p.

Nice.  And yea of course it's going to look worse blown up.  The screen is only like 7''.  So in reality it looks a lot sharper.

11 minutes ago, Remij said:

Nice.  And yea of course it's going to look worse blown up.  The screen is only like 7''.  So in reality it looks a lot sharper.

yeah, they look a lot better on my phone.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I can't tell if my wifi is just shit or if the wifi adapter in this thing is just bad, but man it takes forever to download games

I wonder if it supports USB-C to ethernet adapters so you can hardwire it to your network.

Can you do a speed test on it? 

35 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I can't tell if my wifi is just shit or if the wifi adapter in this thing is just bad, but man it takes forever to download games

I wonder if it supports USB-C to ethernet adapters so you can hardwire it to your network.

Not sure why it wouldn't.. it's a PC and runs windows 10/11

18 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

BF2042 looks surprisingly sharp on medium settings, and it consistently runs between 40-60FPS at 25w. Impressive given its scale, and even when there's a lot going on it doesn't dip far below that (the lowest I saw was 38FPS).

Battlefield™ 2042 6_15_2023 9_24_35 AM.jpg

Battlefield™ 2042 6_15_2023 9_33_04 AM.jpg

Battlefield™ 2042 6_15_2023 9_31_43 AM.jpg

Battlefield™ 2042 6_15_2023 9_21_49 AM.jpg

That’s pretty wild!

• -GD-X★ changed the title to The Official ROG Ally Thread (SteamDeck too)