What should I be looking for, for the best PC price to performance ratio.

It's easy enough to find good deals on the other components than the GPU.  You could build a system with a 5800X3D, 32GB of RAM, and the rest of the components for cheap enough... but when it comes to the GPU.. you're gonna get fucked if you want anything to be actually future proof.

16GBs of VRAM is what you'd want... not because you truly need that amount... but because it accounts for developer laziness.  That's the only way you can "future proof" your GPU purchase atm... and all those GPUs are extremely expensive still.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

What's the price range you're looking to work with?

I was thinking around 1500$. 

But now I'm thinking of just getting a PS5. 

• Haha 1
  • dead 1
33 minutes ago, Ramza said:

lol, I hear ya.  Trying to figure out how to feel like you're getting a decent deal in this shitscape of a PC market will drive you crazy.  However, I'm going to be honest with you man.  I think you'll end up disappointed no matter which side you choose... unless you do both.  If you buy a $1500 PC, some shittily optimized game will release at launch and you'll be like WTF did I spend all this money for... and if you buy a PS5... you'll eventually just miss the freedom of PC gaming.  Getting games much cheaper... being able to take it on the go with you without having to buy a stupid remote play device... ect ect.  If PSVR2 is a major part of you wanting to get a PS5... you'll also end up disappointed, because I'll tell you right now... it's going to follow the same trajectory as the PSVR1 did.  Not going to move any needles, and you'll get a couple games which maybe don't show up on PCVR which are worth a damn.  You'll have wished you just continued to put your money into Steam.

You'll end up at the same place man.

Which is why I think you'll ultimately just do what I did, albeit a bit later.. which is say fuck consoles completely, and if the games come to PC, they come.  You know PC is the better platform overall.. and you're getting too old to care about buying every platform and needing it day 1. :fblike:  

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Remij said:

lol, I hear ya.  Trying to figure out how to feel like you're getting a decent deal in this shitscape of a PC market will drive you crazy.  However, I'm going to be honest with you man.  I think you'll end up disappointed no matter which side you choose... unless you do both.  If you buy a $1500 PC, some shittily optimized game will release at launch and you'll be like WTF did I spend all this money for... and if you buy a PS5... you'll eventually just miss the freedom of PC gaming.  Getting games much cheaper... being able to take it on the go with you without having to buy a stupid remote play device... ect ect.  If PSVR2 is a major part of you wanting to get a PS5... you'll also end up disappointed, because I'll tell you right now... it's going to follow the same trajectory as the PSVR1 did.  Not going to move any needles, and you'll get a couple games which maybe don't show up on PCVR which are worth a damn.  You'll have wished you just continued to put your money into Steam.

You'll end up at the same place man.

Which is why I think you'll ultimately just do what I did, albeit a bit later.. which is say fuck consoles completely, and if the games come to PC, they come.  You know PC is the better platform overall.. and you're getting too old to care about buying every platform and needing it day 1. :fblike:  

You make good points I agree with but for the price of a PS5/PSVR2 I can only get a mid range PC with a 3070. Which won't match PS5/PSVR2 performances, I think. 

I upgraded my CPU 2 years ago and price wise an equivalent Ryzen wiped the floor with Intel. I bought a 5800X and it’s been a workhorse although I had to upgrade my BIOS with a 3000 series motherboard which is unusual apparently. Unless Intel have stopped rehashing the same old ageing architecture (which they may well have done, I’m out of touch), I would go AMD. They came back swinging a few years ago and it’s paid off. 
I still have a 1060GTX 6gig, going to upgrade to a 4070 (maybe even a TI soon) and water cool my rig. 

TLWBO. :smoke:

Edited by Cell
  • aitch 1

Mid range is better for price/performance value. 1440/60 maybe, dont go for 4k or higher framerates because then you will need to upgrade more often to keep up.

Go with 32gb of ram, 16 is fine but ram isnt that expensive and some games are already pushing it, especially if you run a bloated os like windows which will take 25% on its own.

For cpu and gpu if varies on your requirements, just get a modern mid tier one. A beefy amd cpu will last you some years, for gpu you're probably better off getting a so-so one now and then planning an upgrade in a few years, rather than paying out the ass now and planning to future proof it. 

Edit: I typed cpu instead of gpu :ben:

Edited by TLHBO
  • Upvote 2
22 hours ago, Ramza said:

Save the money and just spend what is worth it for your PC setup.

Otherwise you'll buy the PS5 and then later on you will regret it for buying that pos, like me.

47 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Save the money and just spend what is worth it for your PC setup.

Otherwise you'll buy the PS5 and then later on you will regret it for buying that pos, like me.

I really want to play GT7/RE Village in VR though. :sad: 

9 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I really want to play GT7/RE Village in VR though. :sad: 

A PS5 is really cheap compared to the kind of PC gaming that you want.

It all depends what games you want to play.

If you are strictly into PC games like fps, and games that you can play on consoles, then get a PC.

However I see you really want VR gaming , so stick to the PS5. Just take the cost of VR into consideration.

1 minute ago, MalaXmaS said:

A PS5 is really cheap compared to the kind of PC gaming that you want.

It all depends what games you want to play.

If you are strictly into PC games like fps, and games that you can play on consoles, then get a PC.

However I see you really want VR gaming , so stick to the PS5. Just take the cost of VR into consideration.

I have a metaquest 2 which I can use on PC though. Still won't get me GT7 or RE Village. 

But yeah man, I'm definitely becoming more of a PC gamer. I was looking at Atomic Heart first thing that popped to my mind is ''no way I'm playing this on fumblesticks''. lol

48 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I have a metaquest 2 which I can use on PC though. Still won't get me GT7 or RE Village. 

But yeah man, I'm definitely becoming more of a PC gamer. I was looking at Atomic Heart first thing that popped to my mind is ''no way I'm playing this on fumblesticks''. lol

Atomic Heart works perfectly fine on a controller. Thats how I played through it on PC.

25 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Atomic Heart works perfectly fine on a controller. Thats how I played through it on PC.

It goes for any FPS. It's only fine if it's like Fallout where I can rely on a game mechanic to aim (VATS), like I seriously, I hate it. 

It's like trying to play a fighting game with a keyboard. You can do it but it still suck ass. 

• Upvote 1