I don't get the Playstation tablet hate

It has a big ass 8 inch screen, full non gimp dualshock controls unlike say the gimpness that are joycons.

I only play games at home and this is the perfect device to play in bed or just sit on a couch in the corner. As a home playing device it's infinitely superior to the Switch portable mode. Good controls, bigger screen, specs and performance don't get downgraded when in portable mode.

Every Switch multiplat will be superior on the Playstation tablet when played at home. I respect the Switches portable mode at home and think it's a very innovative platform but this is the same thing just superior in everyway possible.

Edited by Playstation Tablet
2 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Said like someone who hasn't tried remote play before. Unless Sony is planning significant improvements to it, games will be a laggy, blurry mess on that thing.

I played FFXIV casual stuff on PS4 with Vita. This is going to be much better if it has dedicated decoding hardware. Wii U pad had 2fps lag 11 years ago

5 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

I played FFXIV casual stuff on PS4 with Vita. This is going to be much better if it has dedicated decoding hardware. Wii U pad had 2fps lag 11 years ago

I've tried remote play several times on my own PC, with both it and the PS5 hardwired to my router via cat 5e cables supplying 1gb of data back and forth, and it was still not at all a good experience. I can't even begin to imagine how much worse it would be on Wifi.

This is never going to compare to a standalone gaming portable.

18 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

Wiiu pad wasn't  remote play genius.  That worked only in range of the console for a reason. 

Edited by Goukosan
  • Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Wiiu pad wasn't  remote play genius.  That worked only in range of the console for a reason. 

I wish this accessory worked like the WiiU. Such an underrated and under-appreciated system. 

1 hour ago, Goukosan said:

Correct. 

The range was so limited though.  

3 hours ago, Ramza said:

Correct. 

The range was so limited though.  

True, but depending on the layout of your house the range would vary.  I had an open layout so very few walls and the range was decent for me. 

I think this is the type of device where the novelty will wear off extremely quickly for most people who buy it to try it.

It'll be "cool" that you can just go to your bed, or the bathroom, or somewhere close by and relax and play on the handheld if someone is watching something on the TV for instance.. but being dependent on the connection to the PS5 will wear off so many of the use cases for these types of devices.

I guess it depends on what want to charge for this.  Maybe if they've improved the quality of their streaming, and if the device has some other kind of functionality that gives it a bit of extra worth then it might find a small audience.  We'll see I guess.

Now let me be clear I'm just throwing out ideas here, and I haven't really read into this device and what it's capable of.. but maybe if the device had some processing power inside of it, it could be cool if you could use it as an actual controller for the PS5 and could provide VMU like functionality for games you're playing on PS5.  Games could show stats and other relevant data such as menus.  Or include light mini games which could be played on the device itself independently of the PS5 to level up characters or whatever. If a game doesn't support any of that functionality it could show you the time and battery life indicators, among other things.

I think it would be cool to eventually have a controller with a display on it as standard.  Probably not going to happen anytime soon, but perhaps someday.

18 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

and what fraction of that will be willing to pay a significant amount more to do that better? 10% of that number? Be lucky if that. 

Good point.  If 10M people are already using remote play to any meaningful degree, how many of them will bother spending money to do essentially the same thing.  

I mean, clearly there must be some data which supports this effort by Sony.. maybe they feel that if they can improve the experience enough with a dedicated device, more people will use it regularly... but like I said, a lot of this depends on the price they come up with.

Edited by Remij
  • Upvote 1

It's fine for what it is, a way to essentially handheld your PS5 arund the house. If its android thats even better as then it has more functionality, if its not then its pretty limiting and hopefully cheap to compensate.

Its for a niche but it does exactly what you would expect.