Real talk, why are digital games $70?

9 hours ago, Ramza said:

And Microsoft pushed the 60 dollars increase during the 360 era. Also the first company to charge users just to play their games online. None of these companies have your best interests.

The only reason why MS offer a cheap service like Gamepass is because they thought it would change the face of the industry and MS could lower the bar and released unfinished GAAS. They aren't doing it out of kindness. 

And don't forget micro-transactions 🤮 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bro...you still in elementary school?

Not to mention there being no overhead since it's not a physically produced product. This is why I'm not impressed with a digital only future. That's just way more money going to publishers with no va

I remember N64 games costing like $80-$90CAD in the Sears Wishbook back in the day.    Honestly, I bitch about $80-$90 games now, because before when you bought that N64 game, you got an awe

I remember N64 games costing like $80-$90CAD in the Sears Wishbook back in the day. 

Honestly, I bitch about $80-$90 games now, because before when you bought that N64 game, you got an awesome box with beautfiul artwork, a color manual, a hefty feeling cart, and a full complete game with no bullshit.  Now you don't get any of that stuff... but of course the costs of making games is going up as well, so they try to squeeze every penny out of us that they can.

But realistically... if a game is quality, if you life the franchise, or if the game just speaks to you for whatever reason, $70-90 ain't shit for all the entertainment it can provide you with.  That's like taking the family out to the movies and getting some drinks, snacks, and popcorn.. :shrug: 

Edited by Remij
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

You should let your fanboy mode go away when looking at this issue.

The fucking irony here :hest:

Why even mention digital vs retail in your original post? It's the $70 that seems to bug you, not the digital vs retail being the same cost, or did you drop that once you realized m$ didn't have your best interests at heart.

The price of everything has gone up numbnuts so don't be surprised games are no exception.

12 hours ago, jehurey said:

or the reason could be, y'know....overdue inflation:bena:

go to the official BLS inflation calculation and put $60 from 2006 in there, and see what today's value of that would be.

It's not inflation.

Back in 2007, no.

9 hours ago, TLHBO said:

The fucking irony here :hest:

Why even mention digital vs retail in your original post? It's the $70 that seems to bug you, not the digital vs retail being the same cost, or did you drop that once you realized m$ didn't have your best interests at heart.

The price of everything has gone up numbnuts so don't be surprised games are no exception.

You are too fixed on MS.

Calm down, read the thread again and reply.

29 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So you're too stupid to understand how inflation works, right?

It's not about understanding the concept of inflation.

It's about understanding the reason behind the price hike to $60 back in 2005.

It had nothing to do with inflation but rather game development increase, which was the introduction of the hd era.

Yeah I know Jerry you are very anxious to describe what inflation means but it has nothing to do with in this topic.

https://osgamers.com/frequently-asked-questions/when-did-games-go-from-50-to-60

3 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

It had nothing to do with inflation but rather game development increase, which was the introduction of the hd era.

Yeah I know Jerry you are very anxious to describe what inflation means but it has nothing to do with in this topic.

So basically "it's ok when Microsoft does it :lemming: "

You expect things to cost the same now as they did 18 years ago? With how bad inflation is in the 2020's?

5 hours ago, MalaXmaS said:

Did you complain about game prices back in 2006?

Or are you simply trying to apply your bullshit in a backwards, recounting manner, in order to make your argument work?

How much do you think AAA games like Oblivion, or Halo 3, or Assassins Creed 1, or Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare were costing back then?

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

Did you complain about game prices back in 2006?

Or are you simply trying to apply your bullshit in a backwards, recounting manner, in order to make your argument work?

How much do you think AAA games like Oblivion, or Halo 3, or Assassins Creed 1, or Ghost Recon Advanced Warfare were costing back then?

No back in 2006 I complained about paying for online.

AAA games quickly make their money in matter of weeks.

Like I said, it was understandable back then for $60 games but now?

Also noticed you never mentioned that word, "inflation"?

55 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

AAA Games cost a lot more to make now. A $10 increase from 2005 isn’t that bad. 

1 hour ago, MalaXmaS said:

Here..... let me talk to you like as if you are EVEN DUMBER than what I originally thought.

The different between $60 and $70 is a 16% increase

Did game development costs in the year 2020-2023 only increase 16% compared to development costs back in 2006-2009?

7 minutes ago, MalaXmaS said:

Problem is not all of $70 games are AAA.

I get that. I usually wait for price drops when I feel like a game is worth less, unless it’s something I absolutely want to play day 1. 

• Upvote 1

Ehh, don't really care about prices. Games tend to go on sales a lot sooner than they did back in the day. Don't wanna pay 70 bucks? Wait a couple months and you can grab it for 40. Sometimes cheaper.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Ehh, don't really care about prices. Games tend to go on sales a lot sooner than they did back in the day. Don't wanna pay 70 bucks? Wait a couple months and you can grab it for 40. Sometimes cheaper.

True. I think the DLC may be a way to make some extra $$$ for it being on Gamepass. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

True. I think the DLC may be a way to make some extra $$$ for it being on Gamepass. 

Most likely. A lot of DLC I don't really consider worth it though.

Then again a lot of DLC tends to be stuff like items, costumes, music packs, etc. 

Stuff I can easily go without.

If it's actual content though then I'll usually grab it because they almost always have the Season Pass option which bundles all the DLC together for a discounted price. Nioh DLC, FromSoftware DLC, Characters for Fighting Games, etc.  You know, stuff like that. I find that worth the price.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Sabo said:

Most likely. A lot of DLC I don't really consider worth it though.

Then again a lot of DLC tends to be stuff like items, costumes, music packs, etc. 

Stuff I can easily go without.

If it's actual content though then I'll usually grab it because they almost always have the Season Pass option which bundles all the DLC together for a discounted price. Nioh DLC, FromSoftware DLC, Characters for Fighting Games, etc.  You know, stuff like that. I find that worth the price.

Yeah, Old Hunters was probably the best DLC I’ve purchased. I think ME had incredible DLC too. The Omega one was awesome. It felt more like a fitting end to the trilogy than the actual main ending. 

But yeah, skins, costumes, shit like that…fuck it. 

• Upvote 1