Baldurs Gate Discussion |OT|

Now that GOTY is determined (tshbo), can we actually talk about this game? I'm pretty obsessed. This is the first game I've played that feels *next-gen* beyond pretty graphics. Every single character interaction goes into a cinematic scene, even when you're talking to a frog.

I'm still early in act one, but the density of interactions and the surprising ways to resolve conflicts is beyond anything I've seen from Bioware or Bethesda at their best. I was just wandering in a swamp on the edge of the map and stumbled on a letter hidden in a tree, which allowed me to expose the secret motives of an important character. This massively changed one of the main quest lines, in a way I couldn't have predicted.

The whole time playing this game, I can't stop thinking about the future. Future playthroughs with new characters, future games from Larian building on these systems, community mods, multiplayer... I've only seen like 5% of what this game has to offer and I'm already blown away. It's mindboggling.

• Upvote 1
  • Twinblade★ changed the title to Baldurs Gate Discussion |OT|
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So i get to this boss battle and i lost two times. Ok my spell slots were low ill go to camp, rest up and come back for the win. Well, i was in a danger zone and cant go to camp.  Also couldnt jump ba

I just reached level 5 and im pretty familiar with how everything works now and i got some bad ass spells. Im about 20 hours into the game. Its amazing. I feel like im at the point where act 1 co

Big battle, in the midst of things ---- LEVEL 12. I GOT THERE BO........ ***UNEXPECTED ERROR GODLURS GATE NEEDS TO STOP****    First crash in 75 hours of the game. Patch 1 putting in work 

Posted Images

It's crazy the amount of underlying systems that are all working in tandem as you play.  Anything you can do, your enemies can do as well.  On the higher difficulty they take advantage of every opportunity in which you leave yourself open.  Being observant and use the games systems to your advantage is the key to success.  Choices have actual consequences... and it all being done at this level of fidelity is truly commendable.  This game is truly next generation in scope.

What I love most about CRPGs is that you can take them slow and really get into the RP aspect of it.  There's so much depth to everything, if you're willing to explore it!

• Upvote 1
  • aitch 1

I just reached level 5 and im pretty familiar with how everything works now and i got some bad ass spells. Im about 20 hours into the game. Its amazing.

I feel like im at the point where act 1 comes to an end some im taking my time exploring and seeing everything i missed before i continue on.

Everywhere you go there is something to do. Im glad i bought this cause i was expecting to hate it but as of now its probably gonna be one of my favorite games of this gen and im only 20 hours in :biggums:

• Upvote 2
  • aitch 2

If you are even remotely interested in fantasy games 100%. I wasnt too interested in the combat at first but now that i have a bunch of spells and fun shit i enjoy that too. Its amazing.

I just got to act 3. Put about 60 hours in this week lol, would have been more but I had a busy weekend. Just an amazing game, neck and neck with TOTK for my GOTY at this point, honestly probably has the edge right now. It's in that Elden Ring and TOTK tier of game for me.

In terms of a fantasy game that just gives you millions of choices of varying consequence, I can't think of any better ones. Combat is amazing and just a joy to plan out. So many times a fight will start and I think "there's no way I can beat this" but the game is masterfully balanced imo and there's always a (and really, several) solutions to any given scenario. Otherwise, production values are off the charts, great graphics, everything has good voice acting (crazy given the amount of lines), music is solid.

If you're at all on the fence, do yourself a favour and get it.

I'm already planning out my second playthrough (leaning towards an evil sorceress run on tactitian).

Edited by Casual
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

So this is the real deal? I’m considering getting it on ps5.

I'd be shocked if you don't love it, I'd damn near refund it myself if that was the case.

One thing I'll say is there's a BIT of a learning curve around the combat and how it works (specifically with resting, how your spell slots recharge, that sort of stuff) but there's ample spoiler free videos out there that will get you going and once it really clicks it becomes a blast.

• aitch 1
16 minutes ago, Casual said:

I'd be shocked if you don't love it, I'd damn near refund it myself if that was the case.

One thing I'll say is there's a BIT of a learning curve around the combat and how it works (specifically with resting, how your spell slots recharge, that sort of stuff) but there's ample spoiler free videos out there that will get you going and once it really clicks it becomes a blast.

Damn, sounds amazing. I don’t know a single person who doesn’t love this game. 

2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

So this is the real deal? I’m considering getting it on ps5.

There's every reason to expect it will be great on PS5. It's not too demanding on PC hardware on high settings. Also the gamepad support is excellent.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

If I make a Paladin will I be forced to make lawful good choices in the story?

I don't think so. My main is a barbarian and they have certain dialog advantages. Your race and backstory will also play into it. And you have other party members with their own attributes.

14 minutes ago, sugarhigh said:

There's every reason to expect it will be great on PS5. It's not too demanding on PC hardware on high settings. Also the gamepad support is excellent.

It has cross saves right? I might get it on PS5 also if i can bounce between the 2

34 minutes ago, Playstation Tablet said:

If I make a Paladin will I be forced to make lawful good choices in the story?

No. You choose an 'oath' at character creation and each oath has rules for behaviour. You still aren't required to follow those rules, but there are consequences.

• Like 1