Steamdeck is on sale

1 hour ago, MalaXmaS said:

What's the difference between the nmc and SSD versions?

Not that big, but accumulated shader cache can be an issue with only 64 gb (even if the game is installed onto a SD). Though, there are tutorials to clear the cache (doesn’t delete when you delete the game). 256 is said to be the sweet spot. Though, a lot of people buy the 64, and just install a 1tb ssd. I watched a tutorial and it’s surprisingly pretty easy. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

Not that big, but accumulated shader cache can be an issue with only 64 gb (even if the game is installed onto a SD). Though, there are tutorials to clear the cache (doesn’t delete when you delete the game). 256 is said to be the sweet spot. Though, a lot of people buy the 64, and just install a 1tb ssd. I watched a tutorial and it’s surprisingly pretty easy. 

Yeah definitely.  They are addressing it though.  The upcoming SteamOS update changes the way shader caches are managed, and they're being optimized to require significantly less memory too.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Stuff like this is why steam deck still isn't ready for mass market consumption. 

Great for the PC crowd, but not the general public.

6 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Stuff like this is why steam deck still isn't ready for mass market consumption. 

Great for the PC crowd, but not the general public.

It’s definitely a step in the right direction, but yeah, it’s still a portable PC (just has a superior mobile OS to windows). 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, -GD-X said:

It’s definitely a step in the right direction, but yeah, it’s still a portable PC (just has a superior mobile OS to windows). 

Yeah, they're getting there.  Deck 2 will be a much better device. It's actually quite amazing how well they've consolized the entire process.. and that's actually one of the biggest strengths it has over the other PC devices.. which as time goes on, will really start to feel dated user experience-wise.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Remij said:

Yeah, they're getting there.  Deck 2 will be a much better device. It's actually quite amazing how well they've consolized the entire process.. and that's actually one of the biggest strengths it has over the other PC devices.. which as time goes on, will really start to feel dated user experience-wise.

yeah, the default (non-desktop) mode made it feel like a traditional handheld. downloading and firing up games is ridiculously easy. i'm sure it will continue to evolve. if my eyes could tolerate the small screen for long play sessions, or I were to decide to trick out a 64g one (with a 512 ssd) to play indie titles (easier on my eyes), i would have one.

33 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Lmao the only thing Ally had going for it was the power and another device will be along soon to take that crown.

Facts.  Deck has a real tangible advantage over these Windows based handhelds currently.  Shader caches for all games, and a much more streamlined interface and ease of use.

7 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Sounds tempting but I already abandoned handheld gaming years ago.

I'd rather buy a gaming PC which I am really getting more motivated to do.

I gotta do some research first.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Remij said:

Facts.  Deck has a real tangible advantage over these Windows based handhelds currently.  Shader caches for all games, and a much more streamlined interface and ease of use.

lol there are still loads of games you literally cannot play on the deck’s ghetto steam OS.