The Fallout 4 'next-gen' update is a disaster, especially on PC

It is great timing that Fallout 4 just got a “next-gen” update after many years, except that…it is very much not going well, and for some it’s doing more harm than good to the game, and reinforcing Bethesda’s “buggy” reputation. What’s going on?

• On PC, there is concern that this really did not do all that much and actually broke a lot of things. The number of bugs fixed is not all that many for an update supposedly this big. The update has broken a number of longtime Fallout 4 mods many players have been running for years and thrown future mod projects into chaos. And while there is now ultrawide support for the game, it stretches out the UI with no FOV slider to be able to fix that. The game is also still locked at 60 fps on PC and cannot go higher.
  • Steam deck users have had their settings wiped out by the update in addition to the above PC issues.
  • Quality mode for the game is broken on Xbox Series X/S, according to reports. Disabling performance mode doesn’t do anything, as the game stays at 60 fps and the resolution remains the same. This does not appear to be happening on PlayStation.
  • PlayStation players who got the game through PlayStation Plus Extra were not able to upgrade to the next-gen version, confusing many. Bethesda has now chimed in that it will indeed be available without explaining what happened, but hopefully at least that aspect will be cleared up soon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/04/26/the-fallout-4-next-gen-update-is-not-going-great/?sh=37f9c38f2447
https://www.gamesradar.com/games/fallout/fallout-4s-big-next-gen-patch-isnt-going-over-well-especially-on-pc-i-had-very-low-expectations-but-this-is-much-less-than-i-expected/
https://www.ign.com/articles/fallout-4-next-gen-update-riddled-with-issues
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/fallout/fallout-4s-next-gen-update-is-nearly-16-gigs-breaks-modded-saves-and-doesnt-seem-to-change-much-at-all/

this is what bethesda/xbox had ready to go for the fallout tv show  :hest: 

Breaking mods isn't really "a bug" and neither is the game being locked to 60fps.  Those are by Bethesda's shitty design :lul: 

And the ultrawide hud being stretched is classic Bethesda :D 

Tried it on PC and its exactly the same as far as i could tell. I dont understand how the load times are also so bad. Maybe on console there is a bigger difference but i saw none on PC.

LOL, what a shitshow.

Bethesda can't do updates to save their lives. Everytime they do updates it breaks their mods.

I don't play Fallout but I know this from Skyrim. I haven't updated my PC version of Skyrim in many years. No need to update when the free mods are light-years ahead of any shitty "next gen" updates Bethesda could ever do.

Edited by FIREPOWER

It's not even needed on PC, all the mission and items are already available for download. It just screws up old mods and gives new problems.

All it gives is a native UW mode which sucks compared to UW mods. Pointless trash. 

Edited by Substatic
18 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I saw comparisons and the game looks basically identical besides some touched up shadows and light rays. Not sure how it managed to break so much.

I played the updated version 4k and it looked the same. On Xbox, the new update gets rid of HDR 10 support. 

LOL tlhbfr :sad:

this mod delayed or possibly even killed the fall out london mod a group of people have been working on forever. it was finally supposed to come out this month but then bethesda blind sided them with the update and now its in limbo

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, poopy_butt said:

this mod delayed or possibly even killed the fall out london mod a group of people have been working on forever. it was finally supposed to come out this month but then bethesda blind sided them with the update and now its in limbo

This is what bummed me out the most. That mod looks legitimately great and they clearly put a lot of work into it.

The mod isn't going to die lol. The F4SE author is already talking about releasing a prerelease version of the fixed mod for external testing in a couple days. That's the core of the modding scene and the biggest roadblock.

• Upvote 1