What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

So Euphoria was already the current best show on tv imo but this season has just been 10/10 after 10/10 after 10/10. They have absolutely perfected the writing, the style, the cinematography, the editing, the direction. The acting is better than ever across the board and there is soooo many major moments. There is no show like it and there has never been a show made like it. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

My dad met Gomey from Breaking Bad. He’s apparently very active in the Albuquerque community. 

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

So Euphoria was already the current best show on tv imo but this season has just been 10/10 after 10/10 after 10/10. They have absolutely perfected the writing, the style, the cinematography, the editing, the direction. The acting is better than ever across the board and there is soooo many major moments. There is no show like it and there has never been a show made like it. 

What I love about this season is how dark it is. Some say season 1 glamorized drugs. However, if that’s the case, season 2 is the dope sickness after hitting rock bottom.  The trippy escapism of season 1 has been replaced with the dark, dead end of a cold, lonely reality. A lot of the themes cut deep and hit close to home for those who’ve experienced similar dysfunctional arcs. It’s the most beautiful mess I’ve ever seen. I still prefer shows like Better Call Saul and Succession. However, Euphoria is a master of its evolving genre…one that’s become its own thing, since labeling it a “high school drama” would be criminal. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

What I love about this season is how dark it is. Some say season 1 glamorized drugs. However, if that’s the case, season 2 is the dope sickness after hitting rock bottom.  The trippy escapism of season 1 has been replaced with the dark, dead end of a cold, lonely reality. A lot of the themes cut deep and hit close to home for those who’ve experienced similar dysfunctional arcs. It’s the most beautiful mess I’ve ever seen. I still prefer shows like Better Call Saul and Succession. However, Euphoria is a master of its evolving genre…one that’s become its own thing, since labeling it a “high school drama” would be criminal. 

'Beautiful mess' is such a great description of the show. No doubt this season is darker than the first, so many of the plotlines and emotional arcs that developed from S1 are just exploding this season. Near every episode feels like a finale for a specific character (the Kal scene this ep was just incredible, the fez/kal scene last ep, etc). It has by far the best depiction of drug use in any media form I have seen and if you take both seasons as a whole then the slow transistion from what could've been seen as glamorising the product to what is now depicted so brutally ugly has been amazing. It definitely does things for shock value but they work and they are also so constantly juxtaposed by raw emotion that the impact is perfect. The is also just a constant feast for the eyes, ears and sense; Cinematography on a whole other level and used to convey so much of the feelings on to the viewer. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

'Beautiful mess' is such a great description of the show. No doubt this season is darker than the first, so many of the plotlines and emotional arcs that developed from S1 are just exploding this season. Near every episode feels like a finale for a specific character (the Kal scene this ep was just incredible, the fez/kal scene last ep, etc). It has by far the best depiction of drug use in any media form I have seen and if you take both seasons as a whole then the slow transistion from what could've been seen as glamorising the product to what is now depicted so brutally ugly has been amazing. It definitely does things for shock value but they work and they are also so constantly juxtaposed by raw emotion that the impact is perfect. The is also just a constant feast for the eyes, ears and sense; Cinematography on a whole other level and used to convey so much of the feelings on to the viewer. 

Spoiler

the church part with ru and her dad/labrinth = chills. i felt that shit. i think anyone who's lost someone felt something.

2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:
  Hide contents

the church part with ru and her dad/labrinth = chills. i felt that shit. i think anyone who's lost someone felt something.

Spoiler

yeah man that scene was great. I don't see how Rue survives this season tbh (except for the fact that it's Zendaya and show would suffer without her). She's maybe the most self destructive character I've ever seen on a show, every single one of her scenes this season has just been heartbreaking. 

Just now, madmaltese said:
  Hide contents

yeah man that scene was great. I don't see how Rue survives this season tbh (except for the fact that it's Zendaya and show would suffer without her). She's maybe the most self destructive character I've ever seen on a show, every single one of her scenes this season has just been heartbreaking. 

Spoiler

i bet that dealer chick (who fronted rue 10g of drugs) will make her get clean cold turkey. the junkie limbo is no joke. btw, i heard next week's ep is the best one of the season (well, based on the first 6 released).

• aitch 1
15 minutes ago, -GD-X said:
  Hide contents

i bet that dealer chick (who fronted rue 10g of drugs) will make her get clean cold turkey. the junkie limbo is no joke. btw, i heard next week's ep is the best one of the season (well, based on the first 6 released).

Spoiler

yeah that's very possible or probably Fez will pay up the money for her after she inevitably fucks that whole shit up.

Btw forgot to mention it also but the short scene with her sponsor the other week too, fmd what a scene. 

Can't even imagine what theyd need to do next week for it to be that good. Can't wait. 

• aitch 1

I missed catching Nightmare Alley the first time around in movie theaters, and it is already on HBOmax, and Hulu I believe.

However a friend wanted to hang out and do something and get some drink, and I read that Guillermo Del Toro was making a black and white of the movie, so we checked that out.

That's a damn good movie.

I never saw The Shape of Water, I know he won awards for that movie. But I can't imagine this movie being worse than The Shape of Water. This is a really good, all around, movie.

I actually don't really "love" Guillermo Del Toro movies. They're interesting for what they are.  But this is the first movie that I felt was really good from front to back.

The only complaint I would say is that the scenes between Bradley Cooper and Cate Blanchett are not fully developed, it appears there was something "sneaky" going on, and for a second it almost felt like the movie was going to have a Shutter Island type of ending, but that didn't happen.

And secondly, the way the movie wraps up feels a bit too quick. Its noticeable because they spend the ENTIRE first hour (possibly longer) setting up the Bradley Cooper character. The climax to the very ending feels like 10-15 minutes tops. And quite a bit happens for such a short period. It should've been fleshed out more.

I didn't know it was a remake of a 1947 movie. it feels very Hitchcock-ian at times.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I missed catching Nightmare Alley the first time around in movie theaters, and it is already on HBOmax, and Hulu I believe.

However a friend wanted to hang out and do something and get some drink, and I read that Guillermo Del Toro was making a black and white of the movie, so we checked that out.

That's a damn good movie.

I never saw The Shape of Water, I know he won awards for that movie. But I can't imagine this movie being worse than The Shape of Water. This is a really good, all around, movie.

I actually don't really "love" Guillermo Del Toro movies. They're interesting for what they are.  But this is the first movie that I felt was really good from front to back.

The only complaint I would say is that the scenes between Bradley Cooper and Cate Blanchett are not fully developed, it appears there was something "sneaky" going on, and for a second it almost felt like the movie was going to have a Shutter Island type of ending, but that didn't happen.

And secondly, the way the movie wraps up feels a bit too quick. Its noticeable because they spend the ENTIRE first hour (possibly longer) setting up the Bradley Cooper character. The climax to the very ending feels like 10-15 minutes tops. And quite a bit happens for such a short period. It should've been fleshed out more.

I didn't know it was a remake of a 1947 movie. it feels very Hitchcock-ian at times.

I saw it the other day and thought it was pretty meh overall. I haven't been impressed by a Del Toro movie in a while.

On 2022-02-01 at 6:24 PM, madmaltese said:

Good to know. When S1 aired I kept up with it until episode 5 or 6 but I think I wasn't in the mood for it at the time, I guess I'll revisit it and then watch this season

3 hours ago, Snowman said:

Good to know. When S1 aired I kept up with it until episode 5 or 6 but I think I wasn't in the mood for it at the time, I guess I'll revisit it and then watch this season

This season has definitely been dark!

• Like 1

As someone who has known a lot of addicts (and lost friends and families to opioids), episode 5 of Euphoria hit me like a Mack truck. Zendaya killed it with her raw, haunting performance. It’s worth watching as a stand alone episode (if you don’t watch the series), just to see how devastating addiction can be, and to see some of the finest acting I’ve experienced in a while. I say experience because I felt that shit in my soul. On a side note, I loved how the series was able to work in its signature dark humor in spots. Still…I need to watch a comedy now. 

6 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

As someone who has known a lot of addicts (and lost friends and families to opioids), episode 5 of Euphoria hit me like a Mack truck. Zendaya killed it with her raw, haunting performance. It’s worth watching as a stand alone episode (if you don’t watch the series), just to see how devastating addiction can be, and to see some of the finest acting I’ve experienced in a while. I say experience because I felt that shit in my soul. On a side note, I loved how the series was able to work in its signature dark humor in spots. Still…I need to watch a comedy now. 

can not fucking wait to watch it. 

• aitch 1
2 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

https://www.avclub.com/euphoria-recap-season-2-episode-5-1848488902

”Euphoria strips down in the best episode of the season so far”

and they are usually pretty critical of Euphoria. I tend to disagree with them a lot, but I agree with them on this episode. 

I enjoyed the ep quite a bit. I do agree with them about the issues with the structure of the narrative this season. It feels like a series of short stories that are entirely disconnected from one another so I definitely appreciated how more focused this ep was.

33 minutes ago, -GD-X said:

RIP to all our loved ones and close frens we've all lost to that shit. I turned 30 in November and have been to way more funerals than I did weddings that last decade. I'm just glad I never liked the downers, else I'd probably be with them too. 

Edited by Snowman
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Snowman said:

RIP to all our loved ones and close frens we've all lost to that shit. I turned 30 in November and have been to way more funerals than I did weddings that last decade. I'm just glad I never liked the downers, else I'd probably be with them too. 

Sorry to hear that bro. That’s awful. My stepdad ‘s niece OD’d. It’s bad in Boston. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I enjoyed the ep quite a bit. I do agree with them about the issues with the structure of the narrative this season. It feels like a series of short stories that are entirely disconnected from one another so I definitely appreciated how more focused this ep was.

That’s fair. I like the non-linear approach, but I can see some feeling like it compromises the narrative. 

1 minute ago, -GD-X said:

Sorry to hear that bro. That’s awful. My stepdad ‘s niece OD’d. It’s bad in Boston. 

And I'm sorry for his and your loss! It's insane how fast it swept the country years ago and how it still has that grasp over people, it really shows how tough addiction is to break.

And nowadays with how prevalent Fent is and how everything is cut, I mean everything was cut back then too, but nowadays there's so many analogues and different synthetics you have no idea what's in what, that people still take them, it's sad and insane.

You still living in Florida? I'm still here in Georgia