What are you watching, listening to, and reading? thread

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL 

dude...i can't wait. curb is the greatest comedy ever.  i still watch scene over and over (from last season). shit cracks me up.     

Posted Images

Damn..I’m still processing that Euphoria finale. I loved and hated it, mainly because I hate that I’ll have to wait like a year and a half to find out about one particular subplot. Speaking of that arc, that was rough. Tense and rough. Overall, it was an ambitious season that gambled with a non-linear structure. It mostly hit the mark, which is an extremely impressive accomplishment, considering how many risks the season took, regarding themes, presentation and tonal shifts. 

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Damn..I’m still processing that Euphoria finale. I loved and hated it, mainly because I hate that I’ll have to wait like a year and a half to find out about one particular subplot. Speaking of that arc, that was rough. Tense and rough. Overall, it was an ambitious season that gambled with a non-linear structure. It mostly hit the mark, which is an extremely impressive accomplishment, considering how many risks the season took, regarding themes, presentation and tonal shifts. 

It was a solid finale, but I definitely did not expect so many hanging threads.

10 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

It was a solid finale, but I definitely did not expect so many hanging threads.

same. i do like that season 3 will be a completely different.

Finally caught up on Euphoria. 3 episodes back to back. Hadn't seen anything for a couple weeks.

That 2 part finale was something. I actually think ep9 was one of the best of the season, the play stuff was amazing. Then the finale really went full on. I was captivated for every second but I'm not sure I like just how far they went with a certain story. I know the show is dark but that was a bit brutal. 

Overall I think it was an absolutely brilliant season. One of the very best shows ever made. Absolutely love it.

On a side note, remember some many critics last season complaining that it glorifies alcohol and drugs....lol, how'd that go. Show is the bleakest outlook ever on those issues

On 2022-03-01 at 5:33 PM, Carlos Vela said:

Finished Arcane In a day.   Damn that was good.

Must say it reminded me of Bioshock a lot 

Steampunk,  Big daddies,  Piltover = Columbia, Zaun = Rapture,   Cait dresses like Elizabeth sorta,  Jayce kinda dressing like Booker Dewit at times 

How bloody good is it aye. Blew me away. Honestly one of the most surprising shows I have ever seen. Can't recommend it enough. 

• Like 1

I had came back this Monday from Santa Fe, to see one of the most ridiculous and badass concerts ever.

For reasons that seem to make any financial sense, the original godfathers of post-rock, Godspeed You Black Emperor, came down from Montreal and played at an art installation in Santa Fe called Meow Wolf, in a small 20 x 10 ft stage in this makeshift area for probably just 150-200 people.

5pKi0XZ.jpg

OzrTZRC.jpg

sGpazQ4.jpg

17c1fuV.jpg

Si9S52M.jpg

and proceeded to blow the fuckin' roof off the place. i'm quite lucky i was able to walk out of there with my hearing mostly intact after standing beside one of their main amps.

it was worth it to hear absolute monster epics like this played, almost perfectly, live:

The Batman is a heavy slow burn crime flick, inspired by several other films, mainly Se7en. Unfortunately, it never matches the greatness of those respective classics. The movie is visually stunning, filled with atmospheric grittiness. The acting is quite solid, with the supporting players stealing most of the scenes. However, the story feels like a forgettable 90’s thriller, the kind you enjoy, but will never reflect on. The running time is unnecessary. This film could have easily been 2 hours instead of 3. I love a great slow burn, especially if tension is the driving force. If anything, the momentum is constantly killed here by scenes that overstay their welcome. I know it sounds like I hated the film. I didn’t. I still enjoyed it. However, I can’t recommend it to someone who doesn’t like the Batman franchise. If you take away the caped crusader and the Gotham universe, you are left with Se7en-lite, sprinkled with a Chinatown knockoff of Chinatown. 

7/10 with Batman bias; 6/10 without it. 

4 hours ago, -GD-X said:

The Batman is a heavy slow burn crime flick, inspired by several other films, mainly Se7en. Unfortunately, it never matches the greatness of those respective classics. The movie is visually stunning, filled with atmospheric grittiness. The acting is quite solid, with the supporting players stealing most of the scenes. However, the story feels like a forgettable 90’s thriller, the kind you enjoy, but will never reflect on. The running time is unnecessary. This film could have easily been 2 hours instead of 3. I love a great slow burn, especially if tension is the driving force. If anything, the momentum is constantly killed here by scenes that overstay their welcome. I know it sounds like I hated the film. I didn’t. I still enjoyed it. However, I can’t recommend it to someone who doesn’t like the Batman franchise. If you take away the caped crusader and the Gotham universe, you are left with Se7en-lite, sprinkled with a Chinatown knockoff of Chinatown. 

So like those Ashley Judd serial killer movies from the late 90's?

Kiss_the_Girls_movie.jpg

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So like those Ashley Judd serial killer movies from the late 90's?

Kiss_the_Girls_movie.jpg

ha yes! it totally gave me those vibes. i mean...they are entertaining, just forgettable.

5 hours ago, -GD-X said:

Hmm that's interesting. I was getting Batman Begins vibes from the movie, so I figured I would actually like it more than the Dark Knight series.

53 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Hmm that's interesting. I was getting Batman Begins vibes from the movie, so I figured I would actually like it more than the Dark Knight series.

i know some people who loved it. i just wasn't one of them.

I know some people on here were disagreeing with me whenever I was commenting on the trailers.

First teaser trailer was great, and then the others I just wasn't feeling it.

Deep down inside, I was thinking that maybe I've hit a bit of burnout with Batman, there's only so many times you can go over the source material before you just don't care for any more interpretations.

I'll still keep on an open mind about it. But it appears that Robert Pattison wasn't very happy with his director by the end of production, and he isn't guaranteed to continue making more of those movies.

Watched The Batman the other night and actually really really enjoyed it. It is long and probably has some pacing issues but I thought it did a great job of handling it's fairly long list of characters. It is by far the most grounded Batman and Gotham City we have gotten. It's a pure Film Noir with a batman theme, which I thought was excellent. Robert Pattinson was superb as was everyone actually. It's a slow burn, super dark (both in tone and actual setting, I think there is like one scene in the day time lol) and a lot heavier than The Dark Knight trilogy. 

In the current era of Marvel movies I think that this and Joker truly shine and are a much welcome change to what everyone other superhero film is trying to do, including other DCEU films.

Also, the score, bloody hell. Amazing

• Like 2
On 2022-03-05 at 6:09 AM, Twinblade said:

imo it's a lot better than Batman Begins. It's darker, more serious and much more grounded too.

5 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Watched Old last night. Premise was a cool idea but I don't know about the execution. Not one of the better M Night films imo.

have you read the short comic by the french canadian author?

I wonder how close M. night kept it to the source material.

The comic is also not very strong, narratively.

But if M. Night tries to add anything to the story to explain the mysterious nature, he'd probably make it worse.

And also, the comic book is creepy because it spends alot of time on the grown children "hanging out" with one another.