I hope we get some unique new style of controllers next gen

The current controllers are all quite similar in both function and form factor.. but I think it would be cool to have more options next gen.  Of course I'd like to see traditional controllers with improvements, as there's still many they could make, but I'd like to see some different ideas.  Split controllers, different layouts, something new.

Like, I think we could do better than the current analog sticks that we have right now for movement.  Not track pads per-se (obviously) but say for example instead of sticks jutting out, that the hole where the analog stick would be was slightly bigger and in it's place was a concave pressure sensitive pad which could have varying amounts of actuation and give tactile feedback.  Imagine the pad on the controller pushing back on your thumb with various amounts of pressure as you push down on it.. as if the character was hitting up against a wall for example.  Pressing up on the pad would be easy until you hit the wall... then you actually FEEL the pad become harder to push.  I think that would be cool feedback.

Things like the rumble triggers are really really nice too.  It's a shame not much other than Forza that I know of makes use of them, but it's really nice to have that feedback.  Say shooting enemies with a gun with a hair trigger.  You feel the trigger vibration the closer you to actuating the gun trigger.  I definitely think all controllers next gen should have trigger buttons with rumble as well as being 2 stage.  

What kinds of things are you guys hoping for next gen with regards to controllers?

More feedback on controllers would definitely be awesome. Not too sure regarding button or analogue layout changes, always seems risky and rarely has it actually improved controllers. 

I think gyro aiming like in BotW should become standard. That shit felt so good with a bow. Wish it was in Horizon. 

6 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

More feedback on controllers would definitely be awesome. Not too sure regarding button or analogue layout changes, always seems risky and rarely has it actually improved controllers. 

I think gyro aiming like in BotW should become standard. That shit felt so good with a bow. Wish it was in Horizon. 

Well even say the analog stick as normal except with force feedback.  The devs being able to adjust the force required for full movement.  The stick actually pushing back on your thumb.  That shit would be rad.

And yea, gyro is a no brainer at this point.  Hopefully they all include it so that devs become more willing to support it.

10 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Well even say the analog stick as normal except with force feedback.  The devs being able to adjust the force required for full movement.  The stick actually pushing back on your thumb.  That shit would be rad.

And yea, gyro is a no brainer at this point.  Hopefully they all include it so that devs become more willing to support it.

Yeah I think the biggest roadblock to all this is the fact that realistically you would need both MS and Sony to make the changes for it to be worthwhile for the devs to work on it. Otherwise you just get things like the Vita where only Sony first party worked on it's unique control elements (back touch pad, camera, mic) and no one else. Meaning it would probably take more than a gen because the most likely way that happens is if one makes the change first and it is such a popular and positive change that the other ones copies it later. Pretty much like Analogues, rumble and so on prior. 

• Upvote 1

The thing is... both Sony and MS tend to take a conservative approach with trying something new with controllers.   

They would refine something that already established or make an improvement on that.   But they both rarely try to take gambles on controllers.   They wait until it works somewhere else and then make their own version of it. 

On the flip side....Nintendo takes huge gambles on controllers.... sometimes too much gambles to their own detriment (Wiiu) and sometimes it works out (Dpad, rumble, motion, analog, gyro etc). 

We would need all three taking gambles for controllers to move forward at a faster pace. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Force feedback on the sticks would be cool but would probably kill battery life and not last long at all .

18 hours ago, Jon2B said:

Force feedback on the sticks would be cool but would probably kill battery life and not last long at all .

Yea I'm pretty sure you're right. I'm sure there's some obvious reasons why they haven't done it yet.  Chances are they can't really develop anything that would put up with the wear and tear long enough for a commercialized product.  It would still be really cool if it happened some day.

Another thing I would like (and I actually heard the PS5 controller might change) is having the shoulder buttons removed and instead the other trigger buttons are where your middle fingers would be.  So instead of having to shift your fingers around you'd be able to access all 4 buttons easily at any time without changing or moving your grip on the controller.  I think that would be a good change.  I'm sure we'll be seeing "back buttons" standard next gen regardless though.

Qi wireless charging on the TOP surface of the console.

Sell it as an add-on, if need be.

After I finish playing my console, you just lay your controller, potentially your headset, and if you have certain VR accessories, bracelets or even the headset on top of the console and it wirelessly charges them.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Qi wireless charging on the TOP surface of the console.

Sell it as an add-on, if need be.

After I finish playing my console, you just lay your controller, potentially your headset, and if you have certain VR accessories, bracelets or even the headset on top of the console and it wirelessly charges them.

fuck off. I can't even get my 2nd hdd to work on my pc without mutilating the usb ports i never use. you are asking for future shit

2 minutes ago, kaz said:

fuck off. I can't even get my 2nd hdd to work on my pc without mutilating the usb ports i never use. you are asking for future shit

Now follow me on this: Have a version of the console use internal wiring to have the console's internal power supply for this function.

4 minutes ago, kaz said:

haha

It's not THAT futuristic though.. it's already out there.  There's mouse pads and mice out there that already do it.  However, iirc, the Qi pads require that the mouse be placed quite specifically on the spot for charging..  There are other wireless charging methods though which actually use the entire mouse pad... so it could be possible that they could make the entire top of a console a charging pad.  The nice thing about Qi is that it's an open standard.  You could just set your phone on your console and have it charge while you play.