Déraciné (From Software, PSVR) - Review Thread

Gamespot - 5/10

Deracine has the buildings blocks of a good VR debut from Dark Souls creator FromSoftware, but it lacks the engrossing gameplay and mystique that has made the studio's previous titles so successful. It is a good example of a PSVR-exclusive title that uses the medium effectively, giving you ample control over your movement and an enticing space to explore fully with the flexibility of using your own two hands to pick it apart. Its narrative ambitions fail to meet the same bar, though, with intriguing themes that get lost within a poorly constructed narrative that's difficult to follow. Its puzzles fall prey to the same inadequacies, failing to leverage the more exciting mechanics presented from the start and instead relying on trivial scavenger hunts though frozen time. Deracine is a disappointingly flawed adventure that won't likely stick with you long after its conclusion.

Kotaku - No Score

here are some dark moments that can feel much more frightening because it’s VR, but if this were a movie, it would be rated PG-13. Deraciné is definitely trying to creep you out and give you an unsettling feeling, but it’s not trying to scare or shock you.

[...]The whole thing wraps up in about 5 or 6 hours. There is one ongoing sidequest that I actually found to be more fun mechanically than anything else in the game. It involves eight hidden coins around the house that are tucked into some very clever spots, and you definitely have to look closely and move your head around to spot them.

Upload VR - 8/10

Deracine’s initially dulcet tone certainly won’t be for everyone but scratch below the surface and you’ll discover a VR adventure that heads in some fascinating new directions. It’s a bizarre beast, placing the ambiguity From Software is known for in the front and center but, despite its often ham-fisted dialogue, it finds genuinely powerful moments of connection as it weaves a memorable yarn. Deracine might not be the game that truly breaks down the barriers between the player and the virtual characters and worlds they love, but it’s definitely a strong sign that VR is heading that way.

Twinfinite - 6/10

It may be a charming, narrative-focused VR experience, but Deracine is let down by its traditional adventure game design. Your interactions go further than exploring and learning, adding a puzzle element that detracts from the characters and the beautiful world. The inconsistent pacing and storytelling diminish the possible impact of the students’ tale, making it difficult for any emotion or tension to come to the fore. Deracine has a world worth seeing, but it’s not likely to stick with you once you’ve left.

We Got This Covered - 9/10

Although action-packed VR titles have their place, I’ve always gravitated toward the more intimate, story-focused experiences, whether that’s “walking simulators” or titles that incorporate elements from traditional adventure games. Deracine feels like a combination of both, and it brings the best aspects of both to the table. The world-building here is as strong as it is in other FromSoftware games, albeit with a lot less bloodshed and frenetic combat. The level of immersion here feels nothing short of masterful; your time at this boarding school, roaming its halls and interacting with its inhabits, goes by quickly, and although you could, in theory, complete this game in a matter of hours, fight the urge to rush through it and explore every nook and cranny instead.

Video Chums - 7/10

I said I won't spoil Deracine's story and I will not. However, I do want to discuss the fact that it is very subtle, intricate, and told in fragments that you must piece together for yourself in order for it to make any sense. As a result, gamers who enjoy these kinds of plots will absolutely love discussing the story and sharing interpretations of it after they complete it. On the other hand, those looking for a satisfying story with a happy and resolved ending will likely be perplexed and possibly even frustrated after they finish it.

Gamerant - 5/10

Those that stick with Deracine long enough to get to the point where the load times become an annoyance will likely reach the end of the game as well, as it’s not a terribly long experience. It can be completed in less than five hours if players don’t get stuck on any of the puzzles, though those that manage to get to the end will likely be annoyed by the convoluted and confusing finale sequence.

Shindig NZ - 8/10

From a slow, dreamy beginning as a faerie exploring frozen snapshots of time, it builds up into an unexpectedly intense exploration of loss, regret, and that universal human desire to “fix” the past. It does so beautifully.

Wccftech - 9/10

Hidetaka Miyazaki’s storytelling is unmistakable in Déraciné. Much of the darker inspiration to what happens behind the scenes surrounding the boarding school is hidden away for the player to find. In certain story chapters, the player can stumble across books or journal entries and read a brief summary of the world of Rohn and the power of faeries that exist outside of the confines of time. Whatever else occurs throughout the story will be up to the player to decide how these events are intrinsically linked to one another but not every mystery will be plainly explained to the player, as is typical of Miyazaki’s approach to lore.

5 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

One hit wonder devs, if they stray from the souls formula they stumble.

Yea, because any dev can just come and knock it out of the park with VR... :roll: 

You say the stupidest shit ALL the time ffs :mj: 

1 hour ago, madmaltese said:

Wow big range in the reviews. Wonder if it's a game thing or just a VR thing. 

It probably don't help. I find most VR games gets reviewed harshly or not at all.

Gamespot didn't even bother to review two of PSVR biggest games with Firewall Zero Hour and Astro Bot. Somehow they had time for Deracine though? Lmao, sorry if I don't take their review on PSVR games seriously.

1 minute ago, Boss said:

game looks garbage btw.  

perfect VR trash

It looks like a pretty straight forward adventure game to me. While it doesn't look all that great, I doubt it's also garbage.