Is it worth buying a PS4 Pro with just a 1080p TV?

What are the benefits if not resolution, what kind of options can I expect. Better FPS mostly I presume.

I'd love to get the most out of the upcoming games this year, base PS4 is starting to feel really outdated. RE2, Sekiro, Devil May Cry 5, DOOM Eternal, Cyberpunk. Yeah...

Not buying a Xbox One X though, out of the question, since Pro will also help for my PSVR games. In fact I refuse to play RE7 in VR until I get one, base PS4 visuals are gross.

It could actually be argued that the PlayStation 4 Pro serves better for a 1080p TV than a 4K TV as it generally operates more in the lower 50 percentile of 4K than the upper. 

The VR benefits do exist in some titles to a certain extent but don't expect some wild difference, I hardly noticed and in general didn't really in all reality. Tetris Effect for example looks like low resolution shit while Beat Saber is crisp, it's a totally mixed bag. Also in terms of resolution RE7 is foveated so it does drop to base PS4 resolution in more taxing scenes so there's no escape from that. 

------------------------------

If I'm being honest and you're going to spend $400 or so, get an X. You already have a PS4 and Sony manages fine at 1080p for their games. You still have access to their exclusive titles and you can still use VR just fine. However you're likely to get a 4K TV at some point in the relatively close future I would assume and if that's the case the X just blows the doors off the Pro. This would also give you access to the games Microsoft has, backward compatibility, you'd gain 4K Blu-Ray out of it and so on and so forth. 

You’d think Deeno gets a royalty check every time he tries to boost Xflop. :mj: 

I would probably just wait for the price drop that’ll come next holiday season or just wait for PS5, since it’ll more than likely be BC. 

Just now, Ike said:

You’d think Deeno gets a royalty check every time he tries to boost Xflop. :mj: 

I would probably just wait for the price drop that’ll come next holiday season or just wait for PS5, since it’ll more than likely be BC. 

Take what I said and present a counter argument or fuck off, you own none of this shit, I own all of it. 

4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It could actually be argued that the PlayStation 4 Pro serves better for a 1080p TV than a 4K TV as it generally operates more in the lower 50 percentile of 4K than the upper. 

The VR benefits do exist in some titles to a certain extent but don't expect some wild difference, I hardly noticed and in general didn't really in all reality. Tetris Effect for example looks like low resolution shit while Beat Saber is crisp, it's a totally mixed bag. Also in terms of resolution RE7 is foveated so it does drop to base PS4 resolution in more taxing scenes so there's no escape from that. 

------------------------------

If I'm being honest and you're going to spend $400 or so, get an X. You already have a PS4 and Sony manages fine at 1080p for their games. You still have access to their exclusive titles and you can still use VR just fine. However you're likely to get a 4K TV at some point in the relatively close future I would assume and if that's the case the X just blows the doors off the Pro. This would also give you access to the games Microsoft has, backward compatibility, you'd gain 4K Blu-Ray out of it and so on and so forth. 

No, Xbox One has barely any non PS4 games I want to play, at best I'd play Cuphead and D4. Two very short games. Don't care about MS first party games.

I doubt I will get a 4K TV anytime soon. You'd be surprised how old school I can be with tech. 

Meanwhile I will play a bunch of PS4 exclusives for sure like every other year. I'd prefer to get the best out of those games AND my current collection. Thanks but no thanks. 

The next console I'm buying is a Switch. I will trade my PS4 for a Pro, making it cheaper.

1 minute ago, Ramza said:

No, Xbox One has barely any non PS4 games I want to play, at best I'd play Cuphead and D4. Two very short games. Don't care about MS first party games.

I doubt I will get a 4K TV anytime soon. You'd be surprised how old school I can be with tech. 

Meanwhile I will play a bunch of PS4 exclusives for sure like every other year. I'd prefer to get the best out of those games AND my current collection. Thanks but no thanks. 

The next console I'm buying is a Switch. I will trade my PS4 for a Pro, making it cheaper.

If you already know what you're doing then why would you even ask?

9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Take what I said and present a counter argument or fuck off, you own none of this shit, I own all of it. 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

If you already know what you're doing then why would you even ask?

:umad:

Don't buy ANY fucking console right now.  Don't buy a PRO and don't buy a Switch.  If you're going to buy anything, buy a new TV.. then get a PS5 in the next year and a half or later.

If you buy a PRO now... you will waste your money.  If you buy a Switch now... you will waste your money.  Both consoles will be replaced by better hardware quite soon enough.

There, you've been told... now go do whatever the fuck you want.